- Text Size +
Meanwhile on earth, Tony Newman and Doug Phillips, two American scientists caught in a swirling maze of live history lessons and encounters with aliens, were switched in time and place to a submarine which was underwater at the time. They were soon found and taken to the ship’s captain and admiral. When they learned that they were aboard the Seaview (the most advanced submarine in the world), they explained that they were time travellers from Tic Toc 1968.

They were introduced to Lee Crane (former Captain of the Seaview, now promoted to Admiral), Chip Morton (former Exec of Seaview, now its Captain), Sharkey (now the Exec of the Seaview, having served for years as its Chief of Security), and Kowalski (who had replaced Chief Sharkey as the new Chief of Security).

Tony and Doug would not make another journey with this time tunnel. Using the ship’s communications equipment, Admiral Lee Crane contacted Tic Toc, and spoke to Ray, who was now in charge of Tic Toc. He soon put Doug in contact with Ray too.

“It’s good to hear your voice, Doug,” said Ray, “General Heywood Kirk died a few years ago. I’m in charge now. Ann’s still here and now happily married. The time tunnel broke down after the trip that put you where you are now. We’ve been working on a perfected new model. We’ve almost got more controlled time travel achieved, with the ability to return a subject to the present whenever we like. With your help we could do it.”

“We’d be glad to help. We’ll arrange to be transported to Tic Toc,” said Doug.

“Kowalski can take you there in the flying sub,” said Captain Morton, “You’ll enjoy the trip. We’ve recently dug up the recording of the great mood setting music we used to pipe through the flying sub launch bay’s speakers in the first year that we used the flying sub. It got lost somewhere along the infinite corridors of archives for a while. You’ll like the sound of it. Kowalski, take the Tic Toc returnees to the flying sub.

Security Chief Kowalski led them to the launch bay, and they boarded flying sub, after being fitted with the special safety jackets that released the life jackets if necessary.

The doors opened below the yellow manta shaped submarine, and then it was lowered into the ocean. After travelling underwater for a while, the ship broke the surface and seemed to falter, as it adjusted to the air, and then took to the skies for Tic Toc.

Kowalski dropped them off and prepared to return to Seaview.

Tony and Doug were fondly greeted by their old friends and began to help modifying the time tunnel.


On the planet of the giants, Mark and Valerie and Betty returned to the Spindrift base camp and filled the others in on what had happened.

“Three of you could get back in their ship by sneaking in before the night of the take off,” said Steve, “Mark, could you really override the instruments of their guidance system from in there, so that the ship would, for example, crash land in the ocean?” asked Steve.

“And then alter its radio frequencies to get us some help,” said Mark, “Kobick and Altha will undoubtedly abandon it and get to shore more easily than we could. If Kobick gets loose on earth, he’ll cause more trouble than he does here, but why only three of us?”

“Spindrift has three space suits: one for the pilot, one for the co-pilot and one for any stewardess willing to go out and help deal with any external repairs, should the ship break down while in a sub orbital position,” said Steve, “Valerie, I know you’d like to go with Mark. It’s probably best if we have all of our men here to work on getting parts for the Spindrift, even without Mark here to repair it. He’s needed more on the giant ship to help warn earth or even save it. We’ll do what we can here, in case you can’t send a rescue flight. Betty, would you like to go with them?”

“I’d love to get back, so long as Kobick doesn’t find us,” said Betty, “I guess I’d be taking a greater risk of being found and caught if I stayed here. I’m very grateful for the opportunity. I figured it would be you or Dan going on this trip.”

“We’re the pilots,” said Dan, “If we actually get this ship going again, we’re the ones to fly it.”

“What about me?” asked Fitzhugh, “I’m not much use here.”

“We’re not risking you making a slip up and getting Mark caught by Kobick and Altha,” said Steve, “You’re staying with us. With Kobick gone, we may just be able to get some more help from Andre, since Mark won’t be here. I’ll trust him more this time. He did put it all on the line for us.”

Mark, Valerie and Betty took their space suits to the compound and hid out inside the instrument console of Altha’s ship. Kobick and Altha took off as planned and headed for earth. Mark tampered with the guidance system from the inside, and caused the ship to crash into earth’s ocean and sink to the bottom. They heard Kobick and Altha removing their space suits and talking.


“I can’t understand why it went wrong after we entered the relatively safe atmosphere of a planet,” said Altha.

“We can return for it later,” said Kobick, “With enough little scientists to make sure it works properly for the return trip if necessary. Earth’s ocean won’t be nearly as deep for us. We can survive the pressure of the depths without diving suits, get to the surface and head for shore.”

Kobick and Altha left the ship, finding that its airlock (designed for space) did a good enough job of keeping the water out of the ship too. They reached the surface and made it to a large uninhabited island.