- Text Size +
Romance was afoot on earth in 1985 too.

Steve and Betty started dating.

Don West and Judy got married and took Barry in to live with them, so that the orphan boy could continue dating Judy’s sister Penny.

Valerie Scott married Mark Wilson, and both of them were sent on time travelling missions for Tic Toc, with Ann, Tony and Doug at the controls under Ray’s leadership.

During one such mission, Mark and Valerie time travelled back to 1960 on a vital mission. Their assignment was to meet the inventor of heavy metal music, before he came up with it, and advise him to take up jazz instead. While in 1960, Valerie accidentally lost her diary, which she had been compiling with notes since returning to earth. It had information she’d learned about the Jupiter 2’s three years in space, the time trips of Tony and Doug, the Seaview staff and their own adventures on the planet of the giants.

The diary was soon found, not long after Mark and Valerie had returned to 1985, by movie producer Irwin Allen. Irwin mistook its contents for a discarded collection of manuscripts for television episodes. He was unable to find the owner, and decided to progressively adapt the contents into four television serieses over the 1960s.

Fitzhugh and Dr Smith became friends, having bonded over the similar transformations from criminal pasts to men who cared about the welfare of young boys.




In 1986, the Robinsons asked all of their close circle of friends from the four adventuresome parties over for a video night. People from Tic Toc, Seaview, Jupiter 2 and Spindrift all came over and watched a four hour documentary special, released on two VHS tapes, which was called “The Four Worlds of Irwin Allen.”

It showed clips that summarized loads of episodes from the four serieses, as well as interviews with the casts.

“Look who they’ve got playing me!” said Doctor Zachary Smith in indignation, as they turned down the volume of the end theme and began to discuss the show, “He’s turned me into a comedic villain. They’ve cast him almost the same way in that Piper episode of Land of the Giants.”

“Is there someone inside that facsimile of me?” asked the Robot.

“I lost my diary in 1960,” said Valerie, “This Irwin Allen must have found it.”

“Well at least Irwin got past the anti-pink tights complaints made by that man who played Lee Crane,” said Betty, “I’m glad to see that Irwin decided to have Deanna Lund play you in pink tights in the latter half of Season 1 of Land of the Giants. Heather Young looks great as me in pink in the latter half of Season 2 as well.”

“Time travel caused this then,” said Tony Newman, “We’ve seen the Robinsons’ return to earth in its past both as the Lost in Space episode THE TIME MERCHEANT and the remake Land of the Giants story WILD JOURNEY involving Steve and Dan.”

“But we never had such an adventure, the way the Robinsons did,” said Steve.

“At least I don’t remember it,” said Dan, “Irwin must have used up Val’s diary’s notes and then recycled an old Robinsons adventure into one for Steve and me. I think I’d remember if I’d returned to Los Angeles Airport in 1983 and been shrunken by two time travellers. Looks like Irwin got caught up in his show about you, Tony, and it spilled out into his stories about us.”

“Television was Irwin’s most voracious monster of all,” said Fitzhugh, “Irwin wouldn’t have had another idea left in his head after adapting Valerie’s diary and then writing new stories of his own. It’s the only way to explain the inclusion of that preposterous episode of Land of the Giants, in which Betty and I were supposed to be singing puppets.”

Barry thought that it would be most unwise to tell Penny Robinson that he thought Angela Cartwright looked absolutely gorgeous in the clips shown from Lost In Space. Of course he found Penny equally beautiful, and decided to stick to loving the one he was with.

“The point is that these television shows were never supposed to have come into being,” said Doug, “We sent Mark and Valerie back to 1960, and now our adventures have appeared as television fiction with a huge fan following. People all over the world have watched the syndicated reruns since the 1960s, all because we unwittingly tampered with history more than we planned to.”

“We can never tell them the truth, or it would blow Tic Toc’s and Seaview’s cover,” said Sharkey.

“I’m surprised that the shows are that popular,” said Maureen Robinson, “apart from brief hints in DEADLY DART (of a romance between Mark and Valerie) and in THE KIDNAPPERS (of a relationship between Ann and Doug, that never happened in their real lives), there’s no serialization of our lives in Irwin’s one-off episodic tales. People seemed content to just watch sparks, fires, special effects and dramatic reactions to danger for six years and ever since.”

“Maybe it helps our cover if people view it as fictional television,” said Kowalski.

“We just have to be more careful when time travelling,” said Mark.

“We can’t knock off baby Adolf then,” said Sharkey, “We might end up with Fitzhugh’s father as the replacement timeline’s Fuhrer.”

Even Fitzhugh laughed.