- Text Size +
Kowalski was returning towards the rendezvous point with Seaview, when he looked through the viewport of flying sub, to see that there were two enormous giants on an island: a man and a woman.

“Flying Sub to Seaview. Flying Sub to Seaview,” called Kowalski.

Meanwhile on Seaview, Exec Sharkey took the call.

“We read you Kowalski,” said Sharkey.

“I’ve got to talk to Admiral Crane,” said Kowalski, “He just won’t believe what I’ve found.”

“He wants you, Sir,” said Sharkey, and passed the hand held microphone.

“Admiral Crane here,” said Lee, “Go ahead, Kowalski.”

“Admiral, you might think I’m nuts, but there are two giants on the island near your last position.”

“Could the Leviathan chasm have reopened?” asked Lee, “It caused that scientist to grow to giant size once before. But it’s a long way from here.”

“I don’t think it was that chasm this time,” said Kowalski, “These giants seem to have a far more normal human appearance and behaviour. The Leviathan scientist was facially deformed and very violent and erratic in his behaviour. This pair seems quite civilized. Maybe I could make contact.”

“Negative, Kowalski. Under no circumstances are you to take flying sub within their reach. Stay well above them and monitor them. I’m going to have to contact President Nelson and make him aware of the situation.”

Admiral Harriman Nelson had left Seaview and become the current President of Earth.

“We’re getting another call, Admiral,” said Captain Chip Morton, “It’s not someone we know either.”

“Belay patching me through to the President,” said Lee Crane, “I’ll take this call first.”

Soon Admiral Crane was speaking to Mark Wilson.

“I’m calling from a giant space craft that sunk in your ocean,” said Mark, “I’m not a giant myself, and I have two other earth humans with me. We were trapped on the giants’ home planet after an accident with a sub orbital flight passing through a space warp. We stowed away on the giants’ ship and sabotaged their landing to delay their attempts to raid our technology, which we overheard them planning. We’re now stuck on the bottom of the sea in their ship, which they’ve abandoned. I altered their radio to try frequencies to call for help. Can you get us out, and we’ll fill you in on everything we’ve learned about the giants.”

“That could be very useful, and of course we’ll help. We’re getting a fix on your position even now. Do you have it yet, Chip?”

“Yes Sir,” said the Captain, “I’ll order diving bell made ready to go down.”

“We’re sending a diving bell, Mark,” said Admiral Crane, “Will we need to cut our way into the ship?”

“No. The airlocks are electronic. We can operate the buttons and open them to get out. We’ll just need to get on board your diving bell quickly, before we take too much of these depths,” said Mark.


On the planet of the giants, Steve and Dan were walking through the park on one of their rare trips in the day time. To their surprise they saw what seemed to be a flying saucer landing on the grass in the park. They approached it cautiously, wondering what sort of aliens were now invading the giant world. To their surprise, part of the ship’s wall opened out as a ramp, and a group of human beings and a robot came out of the ship.

“I’m John Robinson and this is my wife Maureen, my daughters Penny and Judy, and my son Will. Also Major Don West and Dr Smith, as well as Robot,” said the man, “Our ship the Jupiter 2 has been lost in space for years, as we’ve tried to return to our home planet earth.”

“We’re from earth too,” said Steve.

“You’ve no idea how close you are to a space warp short cut that will take you back to earth. Our ship’s incapacitated, but we could navigate you to it, if there’s room in yours,” said Dan.

“It would be beneficial to both our parties,” said Don West.

“More than you think,” said Steve. The inhabitants of this planet are giants, and two of them are even now attempting to raid earth’s advanced technology. They’ve hunted us here for two years. We must get back now, not just for our own sake, but to warn earth’s governments about it. We have two other passengers and a dog at our base camp. Could you fly us to it first?”

“Hop aboard,” said John.

“Warning, warning! Creatures approaching!” said the Robot.

“Did you say ‘Giants’?” asked Judy Robinson.

“I sure did,” said Steve.

“I think they’d fit that description,” said Dr Smith, pointing behind the others.

Steve and Dan turned, along with the Jupiter 2 crew, to see that Lieutenant Grayson was approaching them with two SID officers!

“Well, well. All of the little people and their spaceship as well,” said Grayson, “Why couldn’t Kobick have searched this place well enough to find it? I told you that you’d had your last break from me, Captain.”

“They’ve mistaken your ship for ours,” said Dan, “We’re all as good as caught.”

“We’ll try to lead them away, while you take off,” said Steve.

“There’ll be no need for that,” said John Robinson, as the two SID officers squatted down and reached for them, “Robot! Stun them!”

The Robot blasted both officers with electrical discharge. They collapsed. Steve stared in jubilation. Grayson still needed discouraging.

“Grayson, back off, or I’m sure you’ll get the same!” called Steve.

“It would seem so. I thought you weren’t killers, after our last encounter,” said Grayson.

“He said they were stunned!” called Dan.

“This situation is not going to help either of us,” said Grayson, “What do you suggest we do to resolve it?”

“Let us go, and you won’t get hurt,” said Don West, “Robot will cover us, while we all board the space ship. Then we’ll have the ship’s weapons turned on you. If we don’t take off with the robot on board, you’ll be blasted to bits. Now either walk out of sight, or I’ll have Robot knock you out too.”

Grayson capitulated.

The Jupiter 2 then flew both teams to the Spindrift, where Steve’s friends gathered their keep sakes and set a timer destruct sequence for the Spindrift.

“They’ll never get our technology from Spindrift now anyway,” he said.

Alexander Fitzhugh, Barry Lockeridge, Dan Ericson, Steve Burton, Chipper the Dog, Dr Smith, Robot, Don West and the Robinson family all took off in the Jupiter 2 and approached the space warp.