- Text Size +

Kikata carried Richard back up the stairway towards the ship. She retracted her visor, her face instantly cringing, "Oh god...what is that smell!" She gasped, covering her nose with her free hand.

Richard looked down to his still dripping armor, "What do you think?" He grunted.

She shook her head, "That was horrible." The violence of it all was just really start to set in, "And to think...just hours ago all of those people were still living normal lives." Her eyes narrowed as she stepped out into the daylight once again. The sky was filled with ships, all taking refugees to a near by base in the solar system. 

"You're going to want to head out quickly." The voice crackled through the radio again. "They are going to level the city."

"What??" Kikata questioned, "Level the city?! But what if there are still survivors left over? They can't just destroy it!"

"They also want me to tell you that there will be a special briefing for you."

"Special briefing?" Richard asked with a chuckle. 

Kikata shrugged, walking into the ship carefully watching where she stepped. She made her way into the bathroom, placing Richard down inside of the sink. "Take your armor off, we need to wash away that terrible stench. You should be safe for take off in there."

"Uh, alright." Richard said, pulling off his helmet. He watched Kikata's figure disappear from above him. He let out a sigh, the images from his ordeal flashing in his mind. For the first time he felt sick to his stomach, he felt as if at any moment he might burst into tears. He took his armor off slowly, letting it fall to the rounded plastic sink. 

~ ~ ~ ~ 

Kikata climbed from the pilots seat and back into the larger area of the ship. She paused in front of the crowd that surrounded their sleeping quarters, "We will be docking in about twenty minutes. From there they will inform you on what to do next. Is everyone okay?"

The crowd responded with low murmors. The single neko on the bed spoke up louder, "When will we get to return?" He asked nervously. 

The words stung, for Kikata knew that by nightfall the city would be completely destroyed, "I don't know." 

The man nodded slowly, leaning back against the wall behind the bed. 

Kikata removed her armor, frowning at the red stains on her breastplate as she pushed it into its case. Once everything was in place she returned to the bathroom. She closed the door behind her before resting her arms on the counter.

Richard looked up into the golden eyes that stared down upon him, "So?"

"We'll be in base in about twenty minutes." She started, she lowered her hand down next to him so she could lift him out of the bowl of the sink. 

"So, we'll drop the people off and then what?"

"Apparently they want us in for debriefing." Kikata shrugged, "Who knows what they want this time." She turned on the water, wincing as she gripped the sticky surface of Richards helmet. "How are you? By the way?"

"Me? Fine. A little emotionally scarred but otherwise unharmed." He ran his hands through his hair, "It's just so god damn fucked up, I can't even comprehend what would drive them to do that."

Kikata nodded in agreement, "Every last one of them deserves a fate worse than death if you ask me."

"And I want to be the one to give it to 'em." Richard added, "I was forced to shoot a child today..."

Kikata paused, looking towards Richard for a moment before returning her attention to cleaning his armor, "I couldn't imagine..." She whispered. 

They stood silently for a few moments before Richard spoke up, "You said you wanted to talk earlier?"

"Yes I did...but if you are not-"

"No let's talk. I need to keep my mind busy." 

"Alright." Kikata started, taking a deep breath, "I cannot help but think that...the reason you have been acting so differently towards me is that you must have discovered...that...there is more to our friendship. In my mind."

Richard rubbed his chin, his fingers pricking along the several day old stubble. "You could say that." He finally said.

Kikata nodded, "So?"

"So what?"

"Would you like to tell me what happened between us?"

Richard pinched the bridge of his nose and shrugged, "Alright. So that Runo room led me to a series of other rooms. They all seemed to be men that you had crushes on."

"Crushes?"

"Well, you know. That you liked."

"Oh." Kikata said, blushing slightly..."And then?"

"We talked about it some. It was a nice dream...but I guess we agreed that it wasn't very realistic in you know...the real world."

"I see." Kikata said softly, "I mean those sorts of feelings come up when you spend so much time with them." She smiled towards him, "Thank you for coming clean."

"What can I say, you figured it out mostly on your own." He laughed, "I guess it changes things, but it's not like we fell in love..."

~ ~  ~ ~

Kikata and Richard watched as the crowd left their ship to join the masses inside of the now bustling station. Once their ship was empty they made their way into the station. They followed the winding hallways until they reached the chambers where the General awaited them. 

Kikata took a moment to pat down her hair and take a deep breath before pushing her way into the room. 

"Sir." She said with a nod, stepping towards a long table, the old general sitting in front of her. Her eyes shifted over his shoulder, Kina stood behind him dressed in a familiar black, tube shaped dress. She forced a smile towards her. Her eyes fell to the table as she saw movement, she was surprised to see a human figure standing by the General's elbow. 

"Kikata, Richard. I would like you to meet General Marcus Carr."

"As in...the Marcus?" Kikata asked as she sat down.

The general laughed, "I suppose so yes. He has quite a bit of fame tied to his name."

The old man stepped forward, reaching out a sturdy arm as Richard was set down before him, "Richard Bromwell?" His gruff voice questioned.

"Yes sir." Richard said, taking the surprisingly powerful hand in his. 

"We have been following your progress back on earth, you are making waves son."

"Thank you sir." Richard said with a nod. 

Marcus looked up towards Kikata, "And this is our mans infamous escort?"

"Yes sir!" Kikata said with a bit too much enthusiasm. She was starstruck beyond reason, the idle of her childhood was standing within arms reach! And talking to her! She nearly trembled with excitement. 

"We had not planned on bringing a vessel out to this region, but recent events led us out here." Marcus continued. "After today's events we have decided to take the stranded humans from the crippled Hybrid City and take them where they need to go, most of them will return to earth unless they have somewhere else to go."

"Which means you have your ride home, Richard." The general added.

"My...ride home?"

"That's right. The people want to see you back home."

Richard glanced over his shoulder towards Kikata, "Oh...It's just so unexpected..." He said trailing off.

"Yes. And not exactly under the circumstances that we would have liked." Marcus added, "But we can at least get some good out of this situation and bring our lost solider home."

"But...shouldn't I stay until this blows over? I mean would it be right for me to up and leave?"

"Kikata is trained to function on her own. And the Guards will be stepping aside mostly for the Knights now as we are upping our efforts to put down this murderous group."

"I'll live." Kikata added quietly, "And they're right. This is what we have been waiting for."

"I suppose." Richard commented, "Who knows when the next transport would be ready anyway."

"A few more months probably." Marcus said, "So you have tonight to say your good byes, gather your things, and what ever else you need to do, we depart tomorrow morning."

"Yes sir."

~ ~ ~ ~ 

"I can't believe we really met him!" Kikata said, they were back on the ship sitting at the table as they did nearly every day.

"He's in pretty good shape for being over a hundred." Richard said with a laugh. 

"How old is he exactly?" Kikata asked curiously.

"Beats me. Some say he's immortal."

"I wish I got a picture..." Kikata mumbled.

"Hey maybe tomorrow?" Richard chuckled.

"Yeah." Kikata sighed, "I can't believe that this is our last night."

Richard nodded in agreement, "It's been fun, overall at least."

"Yes. It really has." Kikata said, her eyes brightened, "Oh! I've got just the thing." She jumped out of her seat, rushing to the cabinet. She returned with a tall blue battle, a grin across her lips.

"Oh no." Richard laughed, "This could only lead to trouble."

"Yeah I was saving it for something, but I guess this will have to do." She said as she twisted off the top.

Richard laughed again, watching as she poured some of the blue liquid into the glass, "So...a toast to our strange partnership?"

Richard nodded, "And all the ups and downs."

~ ~ ~ ~

A few hours later...

Kikata snorted, laughing as Richard stood in a small puddle of blue liquid. "Sorry." She finally panted.

"It's...uh...it's alright." Richard mumbled, sloshing out of the fruity smelling drink, "I think we've probably had our fill anyway." 

Kikata eyed the bottle, "Yeah. I suppose you right." She laughed again, "You're! I suppose You're right." She pressed her fingers to her forehead as she continued to giggle.

"Hey, after tonight you won't have to speak english all day anymore!" 

"Yeah. No more taking care of the little human." She cooed, poking at his stomach.

"Hey!" Richard yelped, "Easy there Ms. Drunkard." 

Kikata retracted her hand, though still smiled mischievously. 

"You know, this exact same thing happened with Kina." 

"Oh yeah? And then what did she do?" Kikata asked leaning forward on her elbows, "Lick all the drink away?"

"Actually-"

Kikata scoffed, "You just had to bring that woman up." 

Richard rolled his eyes, watching as Kikata lowered her head before him, resting it on her arm, "I still can't believe this is it."

"Yeah." They shared a long stare, the smile slowly fading from her lips. Richard wondered what thoughts ran through her mind as he stood before that giant golden eye. "You look beautiful..." He said quietly, hardly realizing the words even formed over his drunken tongue. 

Kikata blinked, the smile returning to her lips, "Oh...thank you..." She said softly. She felt an odd, excited rush form in her chest. A new desire to act impulsively growing within her. She lifted her hand behind Richard, suddenly pulling him towards her. 

Richard was shocked to suddenly find himself pressed to Kikata's lips. He enjoyed it, it was exactly what he wanted. But he felt a twinge of guilt rise within him, :K-Kikata, wait."

Kikata pulled away, "Sorry." She whispered.

"No...don't be." He shook his head, "I just don't think we should make tomorrow any harder."

She nodded slowly, "I suppose you're right. I just wanted to follow my emotions for once in my life." She sighed, "I think I need to head to sleep."