- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Warning: Extreme violence in the following chapter.

 

Their ship touched down on a wide landing pad that stood atop a tall sky scraper. Below they could see a mass of frightened civilians waiting for their transport.

"What the hell is going on..." Kikata muttered, taking Richard into her hands before jumping back down into the living quarters. They climbed into their armor in record time, Kikata opened the landing door, unveiling the flood of frightened civilians outside of the ship. 

"Jesus." Richard muttered as he looked down upon the waves making their way up the loading ramp of the ship. They were mostly smaller races, meaning that they could take more in. "What's going on?" Richard called through the radio.

"They...They are saying that the New Order dropped gaseous bombs on the city, within minutes they said the effects started to take hold. You don't think this is the same stuff we saw in that station?"

"I wish I could say no." Richard said. Everything seemed so oddly familiar.

"They are saying that the lower floors have been blocked off by the emergency shut down, they say there could be more survivors down there-"

"I'll go. I think you should hang back." Richard said suddenly.

"Just you?"

"Someone needs to stay with the ship and those that are already here. This is a hybrid city right? I can get down there and take a look."

"If this is the same weapon that we saw-"

"Then I know how to handle it." Richard insisted. The memory of that nightmare rising in his mind, what if it was a warning? Everything seemed to be in place. Kikata set him down by his box of weaponry.

She sat back on her knees, turning towards the massing crowd within her ship. There was only one neko among them, who she had directed to sit on her bed. There were three Marleks that stood about seventy five feet tall, and then about thirty small aliens that ranged from fifteen to thirty feet in height. Below them was a small crowd of humans, about twenty in total. 

"Everyone needs to go underneath of here." She called out again, placing her hand on top of the bed, "Sort yourselves out by size, my partner is going to sweep the building for survivors." Her eyes trailed back towards the box as Richard selected his equipment. What had gotten into him? Who was he to insist that she stay behind? Was he worried for her? Did he feel some new urge to protect her? Had she not agreed that someone would need to watch the ship she would have denied him this. 

Richard hoisted a canon from the wall, it was a stubby yet powerful weapon. It fired explosive rounds semiautomatically, perfect for clearing out a horde if he had to. He knew that one shot wasn't going to do it, dismemberment was his best chance of survival. He slung the weapon over his shoulder, preparing to leave. He stopped before the door, looking back over his shoulder, "May as well." He mumbled walking back towards a sleek machine gun. He inserted the clips into the designated leg holsters and then made his way back into the ship.

"Two guns?" Kikata asked as she knelt back down before him.

"Can't be too prepared."

Kikata shook her head, "There is an emergency elevator shaft that runs down from the roof. Do you know how to bring up the floor plan?"

"Yeah I got it."

"It seems as though every floor beneath the forty third has been blocked off, if there is anyone left behind they are down there. If there is anything, anything that comes up, you tell me. Alright?"

"Of course." Richard said climbing onto her hand.

"I don't like this one bit. It is against my better judgement to let you go down on your own."

"I just got a gut feeling."

Kikata sighed, leaning down next to the small box that was the elevator shaft, "Just be careful Richard."

Richard nodded before hopping off her hand, "You too. If I get into something...something that is too much for either of us to handle. I want you to take off without me."

"Richard-"

"I'm serious. If anyone is going to go down it's going to be me."

"Just keep yourself out of trouble. And once this is over we need to talk."

"Talk?" Richard grumbled as he entered the elevator shaft.

"Don't worry about it now." She said softly, "Just do your job and come back."

"With more I hope. See you soon."

"Yeah." 

Richard nodded, pressing the button that would take him to the forty second floor. Kikata's figure disappeared behind the metallic wall, the bright sunlight giving way to a florissant white light. 

~ ~ ~ ~ 

There was an eerie silence as the elevator slowly descended, Richard's gripped the machine gun tightly wishing that the trip wasn't so damn ominous. There would be an occasional booming that would send trembles up the narrow elevator shaft, he wondered if these were explosions from the outside. His eyes were glued to the passing digital numbers above his head, 45, 44, 43, 42. The elevator came to a stop. 

The doors slid open slowly, revealing a barren white hallway. "Alright, I'm on the forty second floor." He called into the radio. 

"The chatter on the radio is confirming what we thought." Kikata warned, "So keep your eye on your exits."

"Yeah." Richard said, scrolling through the three dimensional blue print of the building. There was another large rumble, then blackness. "Shit."

"What?"

"Powers out."

"Oh no. Richard I don't like this."

"Yeah well, me neither." Richard said, turning on his head lamp.

"Just be quick alright?"

"I'm moving as quick as my little legs will carry me." Richard said, trying to keep his spirits somewhat alive. He reminded himself that there could be lives at stake. 

He made his way down the hallway, carefully opening doors as he went, his machine gun held steadily before him. He couldn't help but feel an odd sense of deja vu as he crept through the dark hallways, but at least this time he knew what he could be up against. He rounded a corner, something shone brightly under the bright LED light of his lamp. His brow furrowed as he approached it, "Oh shit..." He whispered.

A red streak was smeared across the floor, disappearing into a room to his right. He readjusted his grip on his rifle as he peered into the room from outside. A light thudding noise echoed from his left, he turned back down the hall. His eyes fell on a slender figure, a colorful dress hanging from the girls shoulders. She was young, far too young. 

"Hello?" He called, his weapon facing downwards but at the ready. 

The look across her face was unsettling, a look of unbearable fear. Her eyes were held wide, her neck arched backwards slightly. Then her mouth opened, baring her reddened teeth. A loud screeching cry filled the quiet hallway. It was a familiar call.

Richard lifted his rifle, lowering himself to one knee as he took aim. Against every instinct he opened fired, the small girls golden hair flowing around her head as the bullets found their mark. Red spattered against the floors and wall around her, her body falling to the floor. Richard stood up, watching as the small figure crawled back to her feet. More figures appeared behind her, the same horrified stares frozen upon their faces. 

Richard aimed low, scattering a wave of bullets into the charging legs. The hollow point bullets made good work of tearing flesh and breaking bones, but the small group of creatures turned into a hallway filling mob. 

"What's going on?!" Kikata shrieked into the radio.

"Can't talk. Coming back." Richard said, trying to sound calm. He turned and ran, hanging the machine gun back over his shoulder. He took hold of the stocky cannon, flicking the safety off. His light danced upon the dark hallway as his feet pounded against the floor. The screams and stampeding feet blared throughout the hallway. He skidded into the elevator, his finger mashing the close door button feverishly.

"Fucking idiot!" He moaned, realizing that the elevator wasn't going to work. He aimed the canon out the door, firing three highly explosive rounds into the charging horde. The explosions scattered the bodies across the smooth white hallways, a red stream washing down the floor. The constant, droning cries gave way to gargled gasps and moans as the tattered and torn creatures crawled towards Richard in any way they could. 

He grimaced as he stepped over the bodies, their fingers gripping at his leg plates though did not really threaten to touch his skin.

"I'm heading for the stairway." Richard said as he made his way back down the hall.

"What happened?" Kikata asked through the radio.

"It's best I don't describe it." Richard continued, the sounds of the guttural cries from behind him drowned away as he rounded the corner in the hallway.

"Well the main stairways are still cut off, there should be an emergency ladder somewhere."

"Yeah I can see it on my map." Richard said eyeing the red line that ran vertically to the top floor. He minimized the hud as he made his way deeper into the building. Finally his eyes fell on a thick metal door labeled, "Lock out". "This is it." He whispered. He gripped the handle and grunted as he forced the door to slide open.

His blood ran cold as a sea of red orbs stared back towards him. Like a hurricane wind the roars blasted out into the hallway. Richard reacted quickly, hoisting the stocky canon infront of him and unleashing an explosive barrage into the dark room. He watched as the yellow and white flashes exploded in the sea of bodies, smoke, blood and debris billowing form the narrow doorway. He thought he was safe after six or seven rounds so he went inside, desperate to find the ladder.

A massive weight crashed into his side, a horrid cry screaming directly into his ear. Richard screamed, whirling around and throwing the creature off of himself. He lifted the machine gun with his free hand and fired upon the sprawling body on the floor. His eyes rose to see yet another horde charging towards him from the far end of the room. He took both weapons and fired as accurately as he could. An explosive round struck the far wall, light billowing in from the gaping hole. Richard ran towards it, elbowing and kicking his way over the mangled but still clawing bodies. He felt the hands gripping his arms and shoulders but managed to dive into the hole.

He was caught off guard as he was met with empty space. "Shit!" He screamed as his arms flailed as he fell. His suit picked up the dangerous fall and quickly engaged the jet pack, slowing his fall enough to allow him to survive the fall. He rolled to a stop, gasping for breath.

"Richard!" Kikata screamed into the radio, she had been yelling at him as soon as the uproar started again, he was only just hearing her now.

"I'm safe." He said, looking around at the wide open hallway. He had broken out of the human section and into the larger, neko sized hallways. 

"I'm coming for you."

"No, Kikata stay up there-" Richard heard the massive booms of footsteps rushing towards him. There was a loud scream, though not like the screams of the beasts. He turned to see a neko woman rushing around the corner, fear stricken in her eyes. He was forced to dive out of the way as her feet crashed into the floor before him. Another figure rounded the corner, a dark furred Marlek that stood nearly as tall as the Neko bounded after her. 

"Oh no..." Richard mumbled. He lifted the canon and fired a steady stream of rounds toward the monstrous creature but they did not slow its pace. The woman cried out in agony as the Marlek took hold of her shoulder. Richard rushed forward, but could do nothing to aid the screaming woman as the Marlek bit down on her throat. Her agonizing cries dulled to a gurgling shriek as blood began to spew from her flesh. Her legs and arms kicked for a few more moments before finally falling limp, a sea of blood spreading from the wound in her neck.

"Richard?" Kikata's voice called quietly. 

"I-I'm fine." He said. "I'm down in the neko halls now, is there anyway for me to get up?"

"I am going to come down there now. Just sit still."

Richard watched as the Marlek rose to its feet, the body on the floor beginning to twitch and sputter gasping moans. The titanic creature turned towards Richard, to his dismay its red eyes instantly locked to him. "Oh..." He grumbled, backing away. He lifted the stocky canon to his shoulder, though when he pulled the trigger he only got a dull click. "Fuck!" 

He turned and ran, casting the empty canon aside. But a shadow enveloped him quickly, before he could react a dark mass crashed upon him. He screamed as he felt himself rise into the air. When light finally flooded back into his eyes he only saw a dark cave opening before him. Red and white teeth surrounded a bloodstained maw. Thick saliva dripped from the creatures teeth and down onto its quivering tongue. It's brutish hands released him.

"Command-" Richard tried to engage his jet pack but he was caught halfway as the Marlek snapped its jaws shut. Richard let out another scream as he was encased in the maw, his legs still kicking from between the massive teeth. His light illuminated the ghastly cavern. The marlek threw its head back, opening its maw to let Richard rise and fall back onto its tongue. "Shit! Shit! Shit!" Richard cried, watching as the flexing throat grew closer. 

"Richard! What is happening! I am coming hold on!" Kikata's frightened voice called into the radio. 

"I-I." Richard screamed again as the maw opened enough to fling him backwards. He collided with the muscles of the throat, his legs and arms suddenly pinned together. "Oh no." He groaned, realizing that it was over. The beast had devoured him and this time had no intentions of letting him out. 

"I'm coming! Please just hang on!" 

Richard pushed against the tight walls that forced him deeper and deeper into the monsters gut. His head lamp illuminating the flesh before his eyes. "N-No Kikata...just....just go..."

"What? Richard no! I'm not leaving you here! If you are still breathing...e-even if not. I will not leave you! Just please hang in there I'm coming!" 

"It's too late." Richard said, his moral defeated, "Don't get yourself in this too..." Richard felt as his shouldered pushed into a more open space. With a disgusting gurgle and a wet splash he plummeted into the monsters stomach. He pushed against the wall, gaining some footing before looking around, "You've got to be kidding me..." 

His eyes fell on a mob, all staring back at him. Their bodies were torn and mutilated but as long as they could move they would come for him. The stomach cavity filled with screams as they crawled towards him. He lifted the machine gun, screaming as he unleashed a storm of bullets into the oncoming mob. Their once human figured fell apart quickly, their skin already showing signs of the stomachs attacks on their dead flesh. One of the crippled creatures gripped his legs, he fell backwards. He thrust his heavy boots downwards, kicking away the scratching arms. 

Kikata forced another emergency door open, panting heavily as she made her way down a third flight of steps. The dot on her map displaying Richards location was moving quickly, much faster than Richard could move himself. 

Richard groaned, pulling himself against the stomach wall, his eyes unable to pry themselves from the gruesomeness of the scene. Human body parts lay everywhere, the redness of the blood mixing in with all the other fluids and flesh. Even larger body parts slipped their way into the intestine, a large hand slowly disappearing into yet another fleshy tube. 

"Fuck!" He screamed in dismay, firing his weapon into the wall next to him. His brow furrowed as the flesh tore apart. He slipped over towards the bleeding wound, pushing his hand inside of it. "Ugh." He groaned, but this could be his only hope. He pulled away from the wound, lining up his shot.

Kikata froze as she entered the hallway, her eyes falling on a female figure, limping slowly towards her, "A-Are you okay?" She asked.

The woman lifted her head, her teeth baring and blood soaking her chest. She let out a scream and her pace quickened as she charged towards Kikata.

Kikata cringed as she lifted her weapon, pumping a single round into the woman's already blood soaked torso. Her body fell backwards, yet still kicked violently. Kikata fired off three more rounds, tearing the woman's spine and forcing her body to go limp. Her gaze rose towards a dark furred marlek charging towards her, Richard's signal approaching her quickly. "No..." Kikata gasped before raising her weapon. Before she could pump out her rounds the Marlek pounced upon her.  Her canon scraped across the floor as Kikata fought with the creatures hands, desperately trying to keep them away from the joints in her armor. 

Richard was near ready to hurl as he forced himself inside of the gaping wound. He was unsure of what he was looking at as he crawled away from the stomach cavity, and into the mess of organs and blood. He lifted his weapon over his head, trying to clear a path in front of him.

Kikata pushed her knees upwards, groaning as she shrugged away from the gnashing teeth. She heard the strange sound of metal pings bouncing off of her stomach. She glanced down, watching with an arched brow as a stream of yellow rounds bursted from the creatures stomach. What followed nearly caused her to heave. A figure clawed its way from beneath the fur, blood spewing onto her armor as the creature seemed to pay no mind to the horrid display. 

Richard's arm broke free, his body soon following as he clawed his way forward. He fell, surprised to see a Nova Guard below him.

"Richard?" Kikata gasped, still struggling with the creatures powerful arms.

Before he could respond there was a sudden and violent explosion. A cloud of blood, fur, and flesh exploded into the air, the Marleks head disappearing into nothingness. It's body sprawled aimlessly, but Kikata managed to push it from her chest. She grabbed Richard into her hands, "A-Are you okay?"

"Yeah..." Richard groaned.

"Oh man you guys are lucky we showed up!" A new voice called into the radio.

"Who are you?" Kikata said rising to her feet.

"Right over head babe. U.N.S.S at your service."

"Special Services?" Richard said, "Here?"

"Correct sir. And I assume that you are Private Bromwell?" The voice from above called. 

"That's right."

"I would suggest you two return top side as soon as possible. This city is a waste, all known survivors have been picked up."

"Alright. Thank you." Kikata said, making her way back to the stairs, still unsure where the shot had actually come from.

"All in a days work Ma'am."