- Text Size +
Richard looked around, he seemed to be in the midst of a forest. He did not feel small or out of place, he felt as though he belonged there. It took him several minutes, or what felt like minutes, to recall exactly why he was here.

"So this is what Kikata's mind looks like?" He whispered to himself as he pushed his way through the forest foliage. Everything felt real, everything smelled real. His mind had taken this place to be reality. The sound of trickling water filled his ears, he briefly wondered if this meant that he had to go to the bathroom. But then he remembered that this was Kikata's mind, and not his. Everything here was created by her subconscious.

He made his way through a thick wall of brush to find himself before a small stream. He eyed it curiously, the water seemed different for some reason. His gaze drifted down with the current until he saw a small figure sitting on a rock by the waters edge. It was a small girl, her hair black as night.

"Kikata?" Richard called out. Could this be her?

The girl turned, the golden eyes unmistakable. "I came out here to be alone." Her soft voice said before she turned back towards the water.

Richard nodded, stepping towards her and sitting down on the rock next to hers, "And where are we?"

"My parents wouldn't let me walk to Caishie's house alone. So I showed them that I could too."

"This Caishie lives in the woods?"

"I got lost. I thought this would get me there faster."

"Don't you think you should go back?" Richard asked, not sure where he was taking the conversation. He had to somehow get her back to her regular self.

"Then they will be right."

"Well...maybe let me take you there." Richard offered, rising to his feet.

"Okay." Kikata's child voice responded lightly. She too rose to her feet, and to his surprise kept on rising. In a brief second she had grown into a woman. "Richard?"

The forest disappeared in a white flash, suddenly they were on the ship. Richard looked around, it was so strange to see it this way. He stood just a few inches taller than Kikata, who did not seem so startled by his size. There was a loud beeping sounding through the ship, not one that he was familiar with.

"What's going on?" Richard asked.

"EMP strike." Kikata said, turning away from him towards the cockpit.

"The lights are still on."

"Life support will keep us going for about an hour." She called, her voice seemed to echo upon itself, fading away into the distance slowly. "If I can't fix it we'll be dead." The sound of fear was unmistakeable in her voice.

"The forest." Richard continued, "Was that a memory?"

"What are you talking about Richard. We need to fix-"

"This is not happening, Kikata." Richard said, climbing the ladder after her, "Don't you notice anything strange?"

Kikata looked back over her shoulder, "I don't see where you're going with this. Now if I can just get some steering back I might be able to crashland on that moon."

"Kikata look at me. Don't you see anything strange?"

She turned towards him once again, her eyes looking him up and down, "You're wearing a jumpsuit."

"Bigger than that."

The alarm suddenly disappeared. Kikata and Richard found themselves standing in the forest once again.

"When did you get tall?" She asked, her voice carried that same echo.

"It's a dream Kikata."

"Dream?"

"You're dreaming right now. None of this is real."

"Prove it. If you're so smart."

Her wording seemed strange, it reminded him of listening in on someone as they mumbled in their sleep. "Kikata I'm not two hundred feet tall!"

"You are how tall then?"

"I don't know, six foot?"

Kikata leaned her weight to one side, her eyes scanning the ground. "The flower..." She whispered. She turned back to Richard, "The flower. What happened?"

"It put you into a coma."

Kikata stumbled backwards, her eyes now darting from side to side rapidly, "No..."

"I'm sorry. But it's why I'm here."

"So I'm dreaming. Right now?"

"Right."

"And I can't wake up?"

"Well. I am trying to figure out how to wake you up."

Kikata stepped forward, her brow furrowed. She reached forward and placed it on his shoulder before recoiling it quickly.

"Convinced?" Richard asked.

"I don't know." She shook her head, "I feel...I feel myself wanting to wake up but it is as if my eyes have been sewn shut." Her voice had lost the distant echoing tone.

"It's what ever that flower shot at you. We need to somehow bring you back to reality. That is all they told me."

"Who?"

"The scientists. They have me wired to a computer that has sort of thrown me into your mind, I think."

"Well. It's not working. I feel awake. I feel real...why can't I wake up yet?"

"I don't know. And they weren't much help either." He said with a sigh.

"Well shit." Kikata muttered.

"Let's...just talk through it. Tell me about that first dream I came in. The forest, when you were a little girl."

Kikata walked over towards the stream, sitting down on the familiar rock, "It was the first time I went anywhere by myself." She laughed, "Oh it was so silly. I was angry at my parents because they wouldn't let me walk a mile down the road to my friends house. So I snuck out the back door and tried to take a ridiculous short cut through the woods. It's funny I haven't really thought about it until recently."

Richard walked next to Kikata and sat down, "Why do you think that is?"

Kikata snorted, "What? Are you my psychologist now?"

"Sort of."

Kikata laughed again, "Well. I guess it was the first time I legitimately feared for my life. I was out here for hours and hours, until dark almost. I was too afraid to get off the rock so I sat there until sunset."

"And then?"

Kikata shrugged, "I realized that the road was so close so I got up and ran home." She shook her head, "But for those few short hours I had convinced myself I was going to die."

"Scary stuff for a little girl."

"Yeah."

"And you think it has anything to do with that second dream? In the ship."

"That's a recurring nightmare I have." Kikata sighed, "It usually fades when I wake up so I never remember it until the brief moment between waking and sleeping. Funny how I know that."

"I know." Richard chuckled.

"But. If we're talking all mental now. I guess that dream sort of reflects my fear of dying. It's a worst case scenario situation. Main power is out, ship is damaged, no help in sight. We'd last a day or two at most."

"What makes you think there was no help coming?"

"I don't know...just in that dream I feel so hopeless." She sighed, "Just a dream though." She glanced over towards Richard, eyeing him curiously, "When ever I dream of you though, you are never as big as us. You are always small."

"Do you dream of me often?" Richard asked with a grin.

Kikata laughed, "You wish."

Suddenly they found themselves sitting in the wide expanse of her families living room.

"How did that happen?" Richard asked looking around.

"How did what happen?"

"We just went from the woods to here."

Kikata shrugged, "I don't know. I was just thinking..."

A loud series of shouts echoed through the house. Kikata and Richard watched as a thin, black haired girl stormed out of a separate room.

"Kikata you get back here!" The familiar voice of Kikata's mother boomed after her.

"No!" Kikata's adolescent self screamed, "I'm leaving this stupid house for good."

"Oh great." Kikata mumbled, "This was the day I decided to run away because my mother wouldn't let me wear my new jacket around."

"New jacket?" Richard asked as he and Kikata got up to follow her younger self. Before they could even take a few steps they seemed to just appear in her room.

"Yeah. You see I was into this sort of...well...we called it Earth Punk." She laughed, "We would wear camouflaged jackets and wear this silly necklaces."

"Dog tags?"

"Yes! That's what they were called. It went along with that huge Earth film craze. My mother blamed my father for it because he took me to see so many movies. Little did she know how much I begged him to go."

"Quite the rebbel."

"That's what I wanted everyone to think at the time. Runo was probably the most popular boy into the stuff, so I got into it for him."

The scene vanished once again. They found themselves sitting on the beach, down by the water stood a slightly older looking Kikata, a boy standing next to her with long brown hair.

Kikata sighed, "This is another heated moment with my family. I had just told everyone that I was going to Guard training school. My father had known for weeks now. My mom cried...along with Kikap. Runo had come to comfort me. It was tonight that he told me that he loved me, and that he would wait for me."

Richard nodded, collecting a pile of sand in his hand. He had always wondered what it would feel like at this size. As he let the cloud of dust fall from his hand the scene faded once again.

"Woah..." Richard said as tried to avert his gaze from the new dream.

"Like it's nothing you've seen before." Kikata muttered. They stood back in her room, a teenage Kikata standing in front of her mirror, half naked. They could see in the reflection that she was crying, her dark eye liner running down her cheeks. "Oh how embarrassing...I remember this. I came home from classes in tears because I felt inadequate. I don't know why I guess my hormones just started to kick in or something."

"You mean you felt...too flat?"

"Yeah." She rolled her eyes, "Your boobs come in fine you little cry baby."

Suddenly the teenage Kikata whirled around and screamed, "Who are you!"

"I'm you! Look, your breasts are fine. And it's not like Runo cares."

Richard shifted awkwardly, clearing his throat.

"Oh..." The teenage Kikata said looking down at her own chest. She bit her lip, and to both Richards and Kikata's amazement her breasts started to grow!

"This is weird." Kikata whispered, watching as they seemed to just keep going.

"Your brain not mine." Richard laughed.

The teenaged Kikata threw her head back as her chest started to swell to unrealistic proportions. Growing so that they would press against one another as they dropped down her torso. In a matter of seconds they touched down on the floor. They started to push against her bed, sliding it forward with a loud wooden groan. Then her desk slid forward, Kikata and Richard were running out of room.

"Um." was the last phrase Kikata managed to utter before both she and Richard were pressed into the wall by the expanding flesh.There was a loud cracking sound before Richard and Kikata fell a short distance onto a rug floor. "Let's not discuss that." Kikata muttered, rising to her feet.

Richard shrugged, looking around their new surroundings, "Where is this?"

Kikata looked around as well, "You know...I'm not sure. It is vaguely familiar, but at the same time it just feels fictional." She eyed him curiously, "Do you feel different?"

"How so?"

"I mean do you feel like we are, like, somewhere else."

Richard closed his eyes, "It's hard to say. This all feels strange to me."

"Before. I was dreaming. I knew I was dreaming, I could feel it. I don't think I'm dreaming anymore."

"Then what?"

"I feel like I'm actually somewhere. That this is oddly real, but not real."

"I kind of get what you mean." Richard said. They stood in a long hallway. The walls and ceiling were a pale yellow, like old white wall paper. The rug that stretched out on either side of them was bright red with two parallel blue lines running across it. "So where do we go?"