- Text Size +
Richard closed his eyes as he leaned back into his seat. They were on their way to check in on a small moon science station that had been hit by the New Order almost a month ago. It was said that a lot of materials were stolen from the station, Kikata and Richard were just going to make sure everything was going well.

The small moon was made to look like a mere dot against the backdrop of the absolutely massive brown and white gaseous planet that it orbited. The planet and its cluster of moons was a hotbed for scientific activity. It was rich in mysterious ecosystems and resources that intrigued the scientific community. This also made it a prime target for pirates and coincidentally the New Order. The first attack on the station, much like Richard's camp, was shrugged off as a mere pirate attack.

Their ship lowered into the moons atmosphere, revealing the wide expanse of dark greens and browns. "It's another fungi ecosystem." Kikata explained, "Much like the one we answered our first all too."

"I see." Richard said as he looked out into the thick air, everything seemed to hold a dim shade of puke green.

A station soon came into view, it's buildings were all tall and boxlike. Their ship landed just on the outskirts of the station. Kikata decided to simply wear her Nova Guard uniform, walking out of the ship with Richard perched on her shoulder.

"Oh." She said, covering her nose, "This place stinks."

"Yeah." Richard laughed, eyeing the tall, mushroom like plants that towered over much of the surrounding area like trees.

A figure emerged from one of the bland, metal buildings. He stood to about Kikata's chest. He was a Marlek of sorts, his fur a light red and his face was a sort of mix between Feline and some other animal that Richard couldn't quite identify. He was more than likely a mixed race.

"Greetings." The man called, his voice carried a hint of age to it as well as his slightly arched posture.

"Hello." Kikata said with a nod, "I am Kikata, this is my partner Richard." She said holding her hand just below her shoulder.

"Oh. So you are the new team, eh? We have heard of you!"

"Hear that? We're famous!" Richard chuckled, nudging Kikata in the neck.

"I guess so." She muttered. "So." She began, directed towards the Marlek, "Have there been anymore incidents?"

"None regarding pirates no. They seem to have gotten what they wanted." He grumbled, "Let me show you around the station."

~ ~ ~ ~

Kikata followed the man through the many buildings, each filled with laboratories. It seemed as if there were nothing else.

"Where do you sleep?" Richard laughed.

"Oh, we have cots up stairs. But let me tell you, no one sleeps much around here. There is simply too much to do."

"How about your defenses?"

"Oh yes. We have installed a new emergency room. And we received a few shipments of weapons, armor those sorts of things. Not that any of us know how to use it. But with the patrols and all the attention we have received I don't really see defense being an issue."

"Well we must be careful these days." Kikata said as they exited the building back into the uncomfortably warm air.

The man noticed Kikata recoil slightly to the stench. "Ah yes. You never quite get accustomed to the smell." He laughed, "You just learn to live with it."

"I would hope." Kikata said, "I think we will take a little walk around the perimeter. Just to make sure everything looks okay."

"Sounds good. Try not to touch the vegetation. The fungus is not always so friendly."

"I'll keep that in mind." She responded.

~ ~ ~ ~

"I guess it's kind of beautiful." Kikata finally said as they made their way along the boarder.

"In a stinky kind of way yeah." Richard commented with a shrug.

Kikata laughed, "Very stinky. I feel so sorry for the people that live here."

"At least they seem to be into it."

"Very true. They enjoy what they do." Kikata stopped as her eyes caught onto some very vibrant colors. She turned, gasping as she saw what looked a very colorful flower. "Well that is out of place!"

"I guess." Richard shrugged, his attention not very drawn to it. But of course where ever Kikata goes he goes.

Kikata approached the flower, admiring it's stunning blue pedals and the bright yellow of its mid section. "It's so pretty." She whispered, "I wonder if they planted it here."

"I don't know but they said not to touch anything so-"

Richard watched as Kikata leaned forward, her hand reaching out to just graze the stem as she went to smell it. Suddenly a puff of yellow dust puffed into her nostrils.

"Shit!" Kikata gagged, backing away from the flower. She sneezed, her body trying to rid itself of the tiny spores. She felt her skin growing warm as she stumbled back towards the camp. Richard yelled something from her shoulder but she could not understand. Everything was suddenly covered by a thick fog. She fell deeper inwards, the sound of her own heartbeat and breathing filling her ears.

Richard screamed as Kikata started to fall, the ground rushing towards him rapidly. Her knees collided with the earth, her torso swaying for just long enough so he could grab hold of her hair. She fell to the ground, sending Richard tumbling twenty yards into the distance. Luckily he was rather unharmed,

Richard jumped to his feet, looking back towards Kikata who lay unconscious on the ground, "Fuck." He muttered. A loud stampede of feet approached from the camp. He nearly had to jump away to keep from being crushed. "Hey!" He shouted.

"S-Sorry." A tall feline looking Marlek apologized, "What happened?"

"I don't know, she got sprayed in the face by some flower."

"Was it blue?"

"Yeah."

"Oh no. We need to get her inside, quickly."

~ ~ ~ ~

Richard stood on the table next to the small cot that Kikata lay upon, "So what's wrong with her?"

The scientist that led them around earlier stepped forward, rubbing his muzzle for a moment, "She is...suffering from a spore induced coma."

"A coma?" Richard asked in disbelief. "Well is there a cure? Can we get those spores out of her?"

"The spores are no longer an issue." He continued, "There is a way to wake her but it could be dangerous."

"Yes?"

"It will involve some rather questionable tactics."

"And what if we don't?"

"She will remain in a coma..."

"Well I don't see any other options." Richard said, looking down upon her slumbering face.

The light red, almost orange furred Marlek nodded, "Okay. Then this is what we have to do..."

The procedure sounded fictional. Someone would have to wire themselves to a computer. This computer is designed to interfere with brain waves, forcing in it's own signals. In a sense the computer can combine two minds together.

"I will do it." Richard said quickly.

"If you fail to wake her so shall you fail to wake. Do you understand?"

"I understand. I owe her one, you could say."

"Okay. We still have a limited understanding about how this actually works. What we do know is that somehow you need to bring her to reality...it will seem like a dream, but you will quite literally be inside of her mind. You will see her secrets, her fears, her troubles. You will learn things about her that she might not even know herself. Normally this sort of device is frowned upon ethically. But in matters like this we have no other choice."

Richard nodded, watching as they wheeled out a computer.

"So. If you do make it out of this. You might never look at your friend the same way again. It is likely that she will not remember the events, so choose what you reveal to her wisely."

"I understand."

"Are you ready?" The scientist asked, holding a few wires before him.

"I think-...Yeah I'm ready." He said confidently. He laid onto his stomach as directed. They connected the wires carefully to the back of his neck.

"You will feel a slight shock. This is normal. I will count to five, and then engage the computer."

"Okay." Richard said, closing his eyes.

"One." Richard clenched his hands, "Two. Three. Four." Richard took one last conscious breath. "Five."

There was a painful shock to Richards neck, and then blackness...