- Text Size +
"So...are you going to explain to me why were cutting our vacation short?" Richard finally mustered up. Apparently she had already sent her bags back to the ship, had it not been for Richard she would be back herself already.

"I'd really rather not talk about it." Kikata whispered harshly. There was a certain fire in her eyes, as if anything she stared at would melt under the intensity.

"Is there something going on back at base? Or out there? Has war broken out?"

"Richard. I said I did not want to discuss it with you right now. But no, it is none of those things."

Richard sat back on her palm, watching from across the narrow transit vehicle as the hazy, over casted skyline whipped past the window. What could have gotten her so worked up? Surely it could not have been the attention they received at the bar. Even modest Kikata seemed to enjoy that a little. His mind drifted to Kina of all people. Not because of what he and she did, Kikata was well aware of that and didn't seem to care either way, but it was because something she had said. It was an off remark that might have held some truth.

"It isn't something with Run-" He caught an icy cold glare, her soft lips turning to a stone snarl. It was enough to shut him up to say the least. Richard just nodded his head and turned back towards the window. He noticed that she was keeping him at a distance, not setting him on her shoulder as she usually did. There was no doubt in his mind now, something foul had happened with Runo. His inner dialog acted as though he had known Runo was no good from the moment he saw him. But that was just the undeniable jealousy he felt. It was a fact he had grown to accept uncomfortably.

He couldn't help his mind from daydreaming of how he might comfort her. But then it would snap at itself, reminding him that Kikata was not only his partner but his friend. His thoughts would battle back and forth across this field until they finally arrived at the base. Now that they were moving again he could at least keep his mind from wandering to dangerous areas.

Kikata quickly made her way to the ship, the familiar sights and sounds of the military base overwhelming the senses. To Richard he felt like a small child who had to return to school after a fun weekend...he wasn't done playing yet.

~ ~ ~ ~

A dark sky filled Kikata's vision, tiny specks of light scattered at random across the endless expanse. Teralist was but a small, blue dot in the distance. "Alright." She muttered, placing her hand down next to Richard. She watched as he hesitantly approached her hand, sitting down softly before pulling his legs up and over onto her palm. She felt bad for being so bitter towards him, but she couldn't help it. Every man she passed was a pig. Where did Richard get off running around with loose women on his leave while Kikata remained faithful all these years?

She made her way into the living quarter and released Richard onto the table. She pulled out her own chair and slumped down, closing her eyes in an attempt to relax.

"So, we're on patrol again?" Richard finally mustered the courage to ask.

"Technically no, though we will pick up any signals." Her eyes focused on him, "I am sorry for being so brash. But believe me you would understand. That god damn planet does nothing but reel me in with it's pleasantries then piss me the hell off."

"I see...I'll keep my nose out of your business."

They went silent for a few minutes, both of their minds running at a thousand miles per hour trying to contemplate all the sudden changes in their lives. Richards was less distraught, Kina "breaking up" with him didn't bother him at all really. He knew what he was after there and frankly was a little relieved that it happened on good terms. However he was worried that Kikata's mood would be is true downfall.

"Was I wrong?" Kikata finally asked, already the annoyed tone in her voice was prevalent.

"About what?"

"About everything. Was I being selfish for trying to remain a virgin and joining the guard? Is it simply too much to ask for in our modern age?"

Richard cleared his throat, "Well, I would say no. I mean you have the right to do what ever you want to do as far as I'm concerned."

"Then how could he make me out to be the bad one here? Should I have just ended it so many Cycles ago when I knew what I wanted? Should I just forgive him for going behind my back to fulfill some apparent sexual need all you men share?"

"Uh..."

"Is it that hard for you to keep your dicks in your pants?"

"I don't know how to answer that one. I guess we tend to be shallow from time to time..."

Kikata eyed him for a moment, and to his surprise her glare softened, "I'm sorry...I'm venting on you it's not appropriate. You did nothing wrong."

"It's fine."

"I guess you deserve to know what happened." She straightened her posture and took a deep breath, "Runo cheated on me. I blew up on him and left. It's nothing official but I think its safe to say that the marriage is off."

"Oh no." Richard replied with a forced enthusiasm.

"Yeah I know, I can't believe it. I mean...he was my first partner and now it's all over? Part of me feels terrible, like I should forgive him and forget it ever happened. But the things he said...he told me that I should learn my place with my mother back at home? Is that what men really think of us?" She scoffed.

"Sounds like an asshole to me." Richard said with a shrug, "I mean-"

"No. You're right. You know what you're absolutely right!" She got to her feet and started pacing in front of the table, "Ever since he got out of schooling he's been that way! At one point in time we both wanted to reach out and help people. And suddenly it was all about me. Runo had to be the one to provide for us, Runo had to be the one that set our life in stone. I should just stay out of the workforce and go out with the allowance he gives me."

"Fuck that."

"Yes! I'm a strong and proud woman! I don't want to live my life lounging on some sandy beach! I would die of boredom!"

"Me too."

"I earned my Guard status. I earned those medals. We discovered a whole new race and we impacted their society for ever! Who are they to tell me I'm not making a difference where it counts."

Richard nodded, watching as she leaned back into the chair.

"Who cares if I don't have a fiance who wants to have a traditional marriage. I've still got two cycles, I'm still young....I mean...right?"

"Yeah. You've got time. I'm sure there are plenty of men already waiting for you to come home."

"So it's not all over."

"It's just beginning."

Kikata nodded, "Who needs men anyway. I fair perfectly fine."

"Not me that's for sure."

Kikata eyed him again for a moment, "You're a good friend Richard. Even if you do fool around with the likes of Kina."

"I'm telling you she's not so bad."

Kikata huffed, brushing some hair that had fallen over her eyes in her ranting, "Whatever." She glanced down at the tiny brown instrument Richard had brought with him, "So what is that thing?"

"This?" Richard asked, walking over to the guitar he had leaned up against his bags on top of the table. "It's a guitar."

"That's what a guitar looks like?"

Richard laughed, "You expected something different?"

"I guess so." She said softly, placing her chin on top of her folded hands. She watched as he sat down on the tabletop, "Will you play something?"

"I could. What do you want to hear?"

"I don't care...nothing too sad."

Richard nodded, "I could do that." He strummed the strings a few times to make sure everything was in tune. He situated his fingers along the board before beginning to strum some chordes. He more or less made it up as he went, playing little slices of old songs before playing a short solo. Kikata didn't know the difference. Her mood seemed to soften even more, a small smile creased across her lips as she listened to him play.

Kikata did feel better. She had worked herself up into becoming self confident. She remembered what it was like when she first earned her Armor. The music played wonderfully in her ears, the art of acoustic instruments had nearly completely faded from neko culture. Her tail found the beat and swayed to it, she would giggle when ever Richard preformed a difficult sounding solo.

He seemed to be acting out in order to cheer her up, and it was working. It felt good to know that she had a partner who she could rely on for such things. Her doubts and fury were still there, but she simply pushed them deep into the back of her mind for now.

~ ~ ~ ~

A red sphere slowly came into view in front of them, "This is is a sort of midway station for the Guards. Just a place to fill up on supplies or stretch your legs."

"I see." Richard said.

"It's in the early stages of what we call Terafarato. I think the word is Terraforming in english. We have built an atmosphere around the planet and are starting to ready the soil for vegetation."

"I've heard about this stuff. So the air is breathable?"

"It's artificial but yes, the air has been created to sustain life."

The small red world soon filled their vision. Their ship slipped through the atmosphere smoothly, eventually lowering towards a rectangular structure that seemed to jut out from the reddish dirt landscape. A panel in the ground slid open to accept their ship, which led them into another wide cargo bay.

~ ~ ~ ~

Within a few minutes they were out of the ship and heading up a wide flight of stairs that would take them to the larger portion of the station. They entered the main hallway, white tile floors spread out in a wide semicircle, breaking off into about ten arteries of long hallways.

"Hello." A woman behind a desk called to them.

Kikata leaned up against the desk with a smile, her confident mood had followed her from the ship, "Hello. We just docked our Guard ship and we'd like to book a room."

"Of course, you will be staying long?"

"Two days at most." Kikata said, watching as the woman typed away at her computer. She had short black hair, reaching down to about her jawline. Her blue eyes flickered rapidly from side to side as she processed them. Kikata noticed a very unique tattoo under her left eye. It was a tattoo that only existed within a remote area on the opposite coast that Kikata herself grew up on. They were known as fighters as well as spiritual guides. They often lived simple lives, refusing to be aided by advancements in technology. Kikata wondered why this woman sat herself behind a desk acting like a secretary when she should be out there trying to achieve a real life.

"Tell me, and sorry for prying. But is that a Cho'otoo tattoo?"

The woman paused in her work and glanced up to Kikata, "Yes. It is, you are familiar with it?"

"I know of it."

The woman went back to work, "Okay, well I have you set up-"

"Why do you sit behind that desk then?"

Richard listened on oblivious to the meaning of their conversation, though even he caught an odd vibe off Kikata's question. And the reaction of the woman was one of a slight shock.

"I'm sorry?"

"I thought you could only earn those tattoos if you have completed your training."

"Yes...but..."

"Then why would you submit yourself to the life of a secretary?"

The woman blushed deeply, "I have my reasons. Not that it's any of your business."

Kikata shrugged, "Sorry, just curious. I was under the impression that all Cho'otoo's were good fighters."

"I can fight."

"I'd believe it when I see it." Kikata said, tossing her hair over her shoulder.

Richard glanced between the two woman, "What is going on?"

Kikata grinned down at him, "Apparently I have been challenged to a fight."

"You insisted." The woman replied in english.

"You sure thats the best idea?" Richard asked with an arched brow.

"I think so. I need to let off some steam anyway." Kikata shrugged again, her confidence was almost overwhelming to the human.

The woman folded her arms, "Alright then. My shift ends in about fifteen minutes. Your room number is 045. I will meet you in the gym in thirty minutes."

Kikata took a card that the woman gave her and flashed her a wide smile before leaving towards the rooms. This will be easy. After all why wouldn't it be? She finished in the top five of her class in hand to hand encounters, and she was a Nova Guard. This should be a walk in the park...right?