- Text Size +
The next week was more of a vacation really. As was to be expected drifting around in uncharted space, there wasn't really anything there. They spent their time naming planets and stars, occasionally dipping down into the atmosphere of an interesting planet to find it to be a lifeless husk of rock or liquid. But the thought that they might be out here staying out of trouble persisted in Kikata's mind. They had no equipment to take earth samples, nor were they authorized to actually name and identify planets. Why wouldn't they just bring them home? The more she thought about it the more it didn't seem to make sense...unless of course they knew that space station would be out there, then what else would they know? Perhaps they believed that the enemy had gone into hiding in these darkened regions? That would make sense.

"Hey!" Richards voice yelled out, though too small for Kikata to hear from her pilots seat Fisc's attention was gained.

"Hey, Kikata I think Richard finally got into that old ships log."

"Finally." Kikata huffed climbing out of her seat. The two Neko's laid on the floor as Richards screen fluttered with new information.

"Holy shit..." Richard muttered watching the seemingly endless stream of files flow into his hardrive.

"Once it's finished send the files to me so we might be able to view them on a more reasonable screen." Kikata instructed.

"Yes sir."

"Oh come on, I'm not that bossy."

"Of course not, ma'am." Fisc chimed in with a grin.

Kikata groaned, "How many more days am I stuck on this ship with you two?"

~ ~ ~ ~

The ships log was revealing. Twenty years ago the station began running experiments using a strange new material collected from a gaseous planet it a once dark territory of the star map. The military took great interest in the project, that was until the first testing.

"What are they doing?" Kikata asked observing the video surveillance footage.

"Animal testing." Fisc commented leaning closely over her shoulder, the video showed the alien scientist moving from cage to cage.

"That is...disgusting." Kikata muttered, "Look just keep moving." They continued to sift through the information, the reports only got more and more disturbing. They reported the test subjects as growing increasingly aggressive. After weeks of observation they noticed that the test rodents, similar to rats, refused to eat their food. They did not eat or drink. When paired with a non-tested creature they quickly attacked the living subject. They found the day that the distress signal was set off...the footage was more disturbing than they imagined. It started with a bite, the now infected scientist soon became what Richard had faced. They watched wide eyed as the infected creatures spread throughout the ship, Kikata was first to avert her gaze as the massacre continued. But this was not the most disturbing.

When those who should have escaped went for the escaping vessels they were met with gunfire. They had always assumed that the doors were locked to keep the creatures contained...but in reality they were locked to keep everyone contained. They left hundreds upon hundreds of these scientists to die!

"Turn it off." Kikata finally whispered. "We need to find out who was behind this."

"Try searching the names of the military personel on the ship." Fisc offered.

"Alls I'm getting is random privates, maybe an officer or two...no one that would be able to make that kind of call." Kikata was growing frustrated. They searched every data base they could, it was as if this station had been erased from existence, quite literally now that Kikata had destroyed it. Eventually they decided it might just be best to wait and see what the teams could find back on Teralist.

~ ~ ~ ~

The next morning Kikata was awoken by a quiet beeping. She rubbed her eyes, she had fallen asleep in her pilots chair. Her brow lowered as she searched for the source, surprised to find that she was picking up radio signals. They had set the ship to alert them of any unusual signals...and this was very unusual indeed. "Hey Fisc, check this out."

"What?" He asked climbing up the ladder. His eyes fell on the display, a small white ring spreading from one of the near by planets, "Is that...a radio signal?"

"A weak one, but yes."

"So that would mean there is intelligent life there?"

"It is a possibility. However it could just be a glitch, or maybe the planet itself is putting out radio waves...it's not impossible. Bet let's check it out."

They approached the planet, from afar the signs were promising. A blue gem, much like Earth in size. They gazed down on the green landscape below, wondering what strange creatures or civilizations might await them. Kikata pinpointed an area that was emitting heavy radio signals.

"Erm...so what exactly do we do?" Richard asked looking out the window as the smaller details of the terrain became more visible.

"Well. We have to make it clear that we are here for peaceful reasons." Kikata started, she was actually a little unsure herself. "And then we..hm...I guess speak to their leaders?"

"Sounds about right." Fisc shrugged.

Their eyes widened as the forested landscape suddenly gave way to large stone structures, "This must be it." Kikata whispered as they eyed the buildings that seemed more like ancient temples. "Where should I set down?" she said gazing over the stone city, her eyes finally fell on a wide field near the center of the settlement.

"This place was giving off radio signals? It looks so ancient." Richard commented quietly as they set down on the grassy field. Their eyes widened as the beings that dwelled in this strange city started to emerge from the buildings, cautiously approaching the ship. It didn't take long for them to notice that all of the creatures approaching seemed to be female.

"They're...beautiful." Kikata said quietly examining the creatures that were now gazing curiously up towards them. The creatures were mostly humanoid in appearance. Their skin varied in color, from a deep mysterious purple to a light hue of blue. Their skin was also lined and dotted with strange markings, unique for each one. Their hair colors were as diverse as their skin, purples, greens, white and black, adding to their exotic beauty. Long and slender ears rose from beneath their hair before drooping slightly backwards under their own weight. Their white eyes seemed to gaze into their very souls as the stared anxiously up towards the cockpit. They were clothed in long and colorful dresses, they were not as large as the Neko but they were still on the larger scale.

"So what now?" Richard asked, "Suit up?"

"Well, the air is breathable. So...maybe we should go out without our Nova Armor? It might be intimidating. These people do not seem threatening." Kikata offered.

"I guess that makes sense." Fisc said with a shrug.

"So what? We just walk out there?" Richard asked getting up from his seat.

"I guess so." Kikata said gently placing the human on her palm. She climbed down towards the ramp with Richard in hand. They grew nervous as the walkway slowly descended. The crowd of aliens formed around the ramp, quietly watching as Kikata, Fisc and Richard made their way towards them. They were about half the size of the Neko's...still giants in comparison with the tiny Richard. "Okay you two keep your mouths shut."

"Yes sir."

Kikata rolled her eyes before kneeling down before the small aliens so she might not seem menacing by towering over them. There was a moment of silence as Kikata scanned the faces that looked towards her, she took a deep breath, "Hello." He said in her native tongue, then repeated it a few more times in different languages and dialects.

"Welcome." One finally said in a strange dialect but a familiar language.

Kikata blinked, then turned towards Fisc, "They speak Holurian. Or at least a version of it."

Fisc shrugged, "I only know a few words."

"We come in peace." Kikata said after turning back towards the aliens.

"Then you are welcome here." The woman said stepping forward, her attitude was strange for what they thought were undiscovered species.

Kikata smiled, "Thank you." Her eyes scanned over the crowd once more, "Where are your men?"

The alien nearly looked bitter for a short second, her eye flickering onto Richard and Fisc, but smiled, "They are around. Come, come." She said holding out her hand, "Let us show you our city."