- Text Size +
Kikata took in a long, deep breath, her nostril's savoring the sweet smells of nature. She felt a warm breeze gently slip through her hair, the gentle calls of wildlife filling her ears.

"We ready?" Richards voice called from her shoulder.

She wanted to ignore him, but instead she slowly nodded, "Yes." She answered softly. She rose to her feet, smiling as she gazed over the trickling stream once more before heading back to the ship. Fisc and the others were already waiting. "I don't want to leave." She whined, "Space is so boring."

"Let's hope it remains boring." Richard added as they joined the small group by Kikata's ship.

Kikata nodded, "Well..."

Midnight smiled as she leaned over to speak to the smaller neko's face to face, "It was very nice to meet you all...our paths will cross again."

"I hope so." Kikata said with a smile, "So, when everything blows over we will come back?"

Midnight smiled, "Yes."

"I am almost afraid too...it seems so perfect here already."

Midnight shrugged, "You have only seen a small part. But you all are always free to visit, when ever you want."

Kikata took one last look around, the idea of having to go back out into the field weighing heavily on her heart. But she took a deep breath and said her final goodbyes, awkwardly embracing Midnight, and blushing slightly as she wrapped her arms around the muscular Across. Fisc held in his delight when he was finally smothered into Midnights bosom, and then took Across's hand in a firm handshake.

Midnights eyes fell on Richard, gently lifting him off Kikata's shoulder, "You will do well." She told him softly.

"I hope so. Thank you, you really know how to put someone at ease."

Midnight giggled, "I try." She leaned forward and planted another titan size lick on the tiny human. "Good bye for now, keep safe." She said now directing her words to the group. She set Richard back onto Kikata's shoulder and stepped back, watching as the group slowly climbed the ramp into the ship, knowing that one day she would see them again.

~ ~ ~ ~

Kikata set Richard down next to his seat before leaning back into her own chair with a sigh, "Alright, everyone sit tight." Her hands flowed over the display, the ship humming to life before slowly lifting off the ground. Her eyes sadly watched the lush green landscape grow more and more distant until it was unrecognizable behind the thin clouds.

"So what now?" Richard asked, standing up from his seat and stretching his back.

Kikata shrugged, "I guess we should go back." Her eyes scanned the dark expanse of space sadly, but something else was rising within her. Fear. She had always considered herself brave, but she had never faced a real danger. The Neko were long considered the largest of species, and very few species rivaled their technological advancements. But now, the deaths of her comrades refreshed in her mind, she realized that she might not be ready for to fight in combat. That Nova Guard who ventured into the distressed ship could have easily been her instead. She shook the thoughts out of her mind, reminding herself of her training, her great scores and the praise she received for her natural abilities. She brought up her display and made the call.

"Kikata." The generals voice called over the radio, "I heard that you were the one who followed the damaged ship."

"Yes sir, we found him and secured his safety." She replied mechanically.

"And if I am reading your coordinates correctly you seem to have traveled into a rather dark corner of the map."

"Yes sir."

"Did you find anything of interest?"

She swallowed, "No sir, the planet that Fiscious landed on seemed rather lifeless."

"I see, then why the slow response?"

"Our engines were cooling down so we stayed put for a few days, our signals must have been jammed."

"I take it the other Guards ship is out of commission?"

"Correct, we left it behind."

"Good. Well I am glad everything is safe, I hope you don't mind but I re-directed one of the other new Guards to your route."

"Then-Where should I go sir?"

The general took a moment to think, "Well. Before returning to Teralist I would like you to spend some time surveying the this area of the map. Spend two weeks out there and then return home to drop off Guard Fiscious and take a few days to rest. You're quick thinking probably saved his life, that is all. Good work Kikata."

Richard stood awkwardly as Kikata sank back into her seat, "So...what was that conversation about?"

"We have been ordered to stay in these uncharted areas for two weeks and survey them."

"So we are exploring?" He asked taking a step forward towards Kikata.

"Or just staying out of trouble..." She mumbled quietly. She helped Richard back down to the living quarters, sitting across from Fisc. "We return to Teralist in two weeks, until then we are out here...surveying."

"Oh, interesting."

Kikata's face remained bitter, "I guess that's where the Guards are needed." She huffed sitting back in her chair.

"Well it is uncharted territory." Fisc offered.

Kikata rolled her eyes, "Well I never once read surveying as a part of our duty...it's my fault. We should have radioed in earlier."

Fisc shot Richard a glance as Kikata's head fell onto the table, "I'm sure the General is not angry with you. You successfully rescued me after all."

"Mmm." She hummed, keeping her head pressed against the table. They sat silently for a few minutes until a strange sound suddenly broke the silence. A loud beeping, the last thing anyone would have expected.

"Is that-"

"Yes." Fisc responded. "Well Kikata, looks like we'll be working after all."