- Text Size +
Rosa smiled to herself as she walked down the city street of her college town. It was a small city, but growing, you could still catch glimpses of the outside forest covered world from between the tall business buildings and apartments. A cool breeze blew through her dark red hair, almost carrying a brownish tone in it on certain days. She tucked her jacket closer together, folding her arms loosely over her chest. She would smile at the occasional passerby, it really seemed to be a friendly town. She made her way into the town square, a briskness in her step as she longed to get out of the cold and into the warmth of a favorite coffee shop. She pushed through the heavy glass doors.

"Hi!" She said cheerfully to the older women behind the counter. The woman greeted her with a warm welcome, smiling and nodding as she ordered up a cup. She stepped aside for the next customer, clasping her hands together before her as she waited.

A few minutes later she seated herself on a tall stool before a tall round table. She glanced around the shop, she always felt a bit awkward sitting alone, but was always able to shrug away the nervousness. She was a pretty girl, a fact she was mildly aware of. She had never been the pretty girl of the class, though she was never the focus of ridicule either as a child. In high school she had her bad moments, often outcasted by her more artistic personality, and the fact that she scored better than a large majority of her class. But college changed everything for her, she had friends, boys who she shared a mutual interest with though she was fairly reserved in those respects. She was smart most of all, she was always careful to keep herself out of harms way, though sometimes felt her reluctancy to take chances may have stifled a few budding relationships. She was confident that she could make something of herself, that she would find her niche in life.

She paused mid sip, her hand falling on her stomach as a strange gurgling seemed to spread across her stomach. She set her cup down and took a deep breath, a slight twinge of pain spreading across that same area. She winced as she dropped down from her seat, grabbing her purse as she walked towards the bathroom, hoping her reddening cheeks were not so visible to the now crowded coffee shop. She pushed through the door, happy that it was unoccupied and also a single person bathroom. Her cheeks were burning now, the gurgling once again spreading across her stomach. She groaned slightly as the pain hit again. Though somehow she knew this wasn't a digestive problem, something was going on. The bubbling seemed to spread from her stomach and into her chest and down over her groin into her legs.

She bent over the sink, splashing some cold water on her face to try and soothe her hot skin. She looked up into the mirror, a concerned look across her face, "W-Whats happening to me?" She gasped as the twinge of pain suddenly turned into a furious burst of burning agony. She fell to her knees, the pain spreading throughout her body, every inch burned! Then came the dull pain, the pain that seemed to spread outwards from her very bones. Her eyes squeezed shut as tears beaded in the corners. Her breathing became sporadic. She breathed out in loud moans and gasps, her lungs taking in air in shaken breaths as she continued to writhe in this unbearable pain. She wanted to call out for help but couldn't form the words loud enough, just silent strained whispers. Her pain was only just beginning.

Now she screamed. It felt as though her limbs were being torn from her body, she held her eyes shut in fear of seeing the bloody spectacle, and out of the unbearable pain that attacked her body to the core. She tried to bury herself in her mind, trying to avoid the pain, but it was there too. It was everywhere, it was spreading faster and faster into areas where she did not know pain existed. She screamed even louder, her throat finally able to open beyond the strained gasps and whimpers. Her head suddenly collided with the tile wall, her eyes shot open.

She stared down in disbelief, the pain subsiding momentarily. She scooted herself up against the wall screaming again as her head hit the ceiling. What was going on?! Her legs kicked out against the far wall, "H-Help!" She screamed, the gurgling suddenly flowed through her again, "No!" She groaned closing her eyes again as the pain attacked her once more, this time faster than it had before. Her neck leaned forward as her back slid up the wall seemingly on its own. She cried out as she was forced to her knees trying to position herself so she wouldn't burst through the ceiling. She was confused, scared, and in the worst pain of her life. It was hard to tell the source of the pain now as the objects and walls around her dug into her skin, her clothes hanging onto her by tiny scraps and threads.

Surely she was dreaming, surely this unbearable pain had thrown her mind into hallucinations and delirium. She couldn't be growing, she couldn't be. She let out another scream as the fire like pain burned even hotter, engulfing her very being.

The coffee shop fell silent, a series of hushed whispered ran through the crowd as they listened to the girl scream and scream.

"Someone should help her" A women whispered, but the crowd stood motionless. The building itself seemed to creak in tune with the screams, the creak would stop as the screams died down into a quiet whimper, then beginning again as her shrill voice erupted, growing louder and louder with each outburst.

Rosa sobbed but could not feel her tears, her cheeks simply grew damp. Water pooled around her from the shattered sink and toilet. Her body could no longer be contained by the small bathroom, her knees folded under her painfully arched back. Her face pressed sideways into the wall. She heard the walls creak, the door burst from it's hinges freeing her arm. The ceiling bent against her back before splintering, the walls around her caving in.

Everyone stared, unable to believe the girl that had just come bursting through the bathroom walls, only half of her head visible below the ceiling. The building continued to creak and groan as the terrified crowd suddenly fled the coffee shop, the girl seeming to chase after them as she continued to grow.

Rosa watched in horror, the blackness suddenly giving way to daylight as her head exploded through the roof followed soon by her shoulders. Her growing suddenly subsided, the coffee shop collapsing around her naked form. She whimpered, "Please stop"

The pain attacked again, her back arched as her fists coiled tightly trying to absorb the unbearable experience, more and more she expanded, every passing moment worse than the moment before. Her knees dragged against the concrete, the coffee shop disappearing completely beneath her. Her chest pressed against the glass wall before her, one of the larger business buildings. She heard the splintering of glass and fell to her side, curling her legs to her stomach as she tried to not to flail her limbs in her agony. The entire city seemed to scream with her as she expanded even more, now even her curled figure was cramped on the wide city street, the glass walls of the business building shattered against her shins.

Silence, finally silence. She whimpered quietly to herself, her mind still overcome by shock. Eventually her eyes fluttered open, surprised to be staring in to a row of windows, a nervous crowd of office workers staring back at her. She sat up slowly, looking around. She reached a hand down to brace herself but it fell on something odd. She looked down, lifting the small crumpled metal object into her hands. It looked like a crushed soda can, her eyes widened when she realized that it was the remains of a squashed car. The car which she had crushed. The metal pounded loudly onto the shattered concrete, her body had left a very visible indent in the road. Her eyes shifted back towards the coffee shop, it was unrecognizable. She started to stand, leaning against a glass building for support. Almost instantly the steel supports gave way under her weight causing a shower of glass and debris as her body fell into the building with terrifying force.

"I-I" She stammered pulling herself away from the wreckage, a ghastly chunk of the building crumbled to the ground. She got to her feet, stumbling backwards as she found herself looking out over the rooftops. Not a single structure in the area rivaled her height! Her eyes widened once again as a loud scream broke out from under her, she turned to see a massive crowd fleeing in all directions. She felt a warm sensation spreading under her heel. Her lip quivered as she stepped away, she averted her gaze, unable to look at the mangled body.

"No!" She sobbed, how many lives had she taken so far? Rows of mangled cars, two buildings crumbled under her weight. "I'm sorry!" Was all she could whimper as she now walked away in the other direction, her head feeling strange under its new weight. She felt as if any wrong step would send her stumbling into another fragile structure. "P-Please someone help!" She cried unsure what to do, but her cries only seemed to stir more fear. She tried to follow the crowd but their panicked screams sent shivers down her spine. They were terrified of her! She was terrified of herself, what had she become? How did this happen? The questions flooded through her head, a sense of utter panic soon replaced the pain that had only just subsided aside from the sharp pain that splinters of wood and glass had left in her skin.

She heard a loud popping sound form beneath her, she turned, careful not to step on anything else. She eyed a row of black and white cars, red lights shining up against the buildings around them. She wondered what they were doing until she saw a yellow streak zip by her head. "S-Stop!" She pleaded as they continued to fire upon her, "I don't want to hurt anyone!"

Their response was simply to keep shooting, she noticed a larger black van pulling up beside them as she backed away. Even more armed men piled out into the street instantly raising their weapons towards her! They were trying to kill her! Rosa, the art student who had never done a bad thing in her life was being pelted with bullets!

She shook her head, her cheeks glistening in the dull light of the over casted morning. Everything felt different, she wept but she felt no tears. Her feet would crush anything that fell below them as if she was standing on a thin layer of snow. She took in the sights below her before taking a trembling step forward, her immense weight pulling her forward to the point that she feared she would topple over into another building. She had to get away, she had to get out of the city before she destroyed anything else. She tried to slip between two large buildings, her body just a bit too wide to squeeze between them without shattering the walls and glass as she did. She could only apologize over and over as she sent debris falling to the ground below. Finally she pulled free of the tight gap between the buildings, hardly able to look at the large gashes she had ripped into them, and carefully headed out into the forested areas outside the city streets.

She found herself in the park, the grassy earth sagged beneath her feet as she found her way into an open area large enough to hold her new titanic form. Like in the city anyone who saw her fled in utter terror even as she pleaded with them to help, to try and make them understand she never wanted to hurt anyone. Could they no longer understand her? Did they not believe her? Her sobs echoed through the hilly forested landscape, everything was over. She could not shake the images from her mind, how could this have happened? Why did it have to happen to her?! She had killed people, crushing them below her terrible body as if they were nothing but bugs. The only pain that lingered was the stinging cuts and scrapes that had torn at her body as she was exposed to jagged broken glass and metal.

But her mind was far from uninjured, she was still in shock and only just only starting to suffer from the trauma of the violent experience. She was a person who would feel guilty for swatting a spider on the wall, and now she had crushed cars and people...she had killed. But how did they not see it was an accident? Clearly she was innocent? Clearly she was a victim here as well! She did not want this, she would never even dream of wanting this!

What could she do now? Go back and try to reason with them? But she had tried that, they just shot at her. No one would listen to her pleas for help in the most desperate and terrifying hour of her life. These people she had regarded has pleasant and kind people had turned against her, labeled her as a monster without a second thought! But she wasn't a monster! Had she grown wings or fangs? She checked herself over, no she was her normal self. Nothing had changed but her size, but that changed everything.

She slowly lowered down to her side, curling into a tight ball as she wished this all away, surely she was dreaming. She could hear the faint putter of helicopters throughout the day...obviously they were displaying her naked figure on televisions all around the world now.

"Just leave me alone" She whimpered, if they were not going to help her then why would they do anything but that? Let her remain by herself. Night had fallen, she had almost managed to fall asleep as the adrenaline and fear started to flow out of her system.

A strange droning sound filled her ears, growing louder and louder with each passing second. She slowly lifted herself to a sitting position and looked over her shoulder. A long line of yellow and white lights slowly edged their way towards her. Was this her help? Had they finally thought about the situation themselves and saw that she wanted none of this? Had they taken her apologies into consideration? The line stopped almost within arms reach, rows and rows of cars and trucks. Some almost looked like military vehicles. She saw no signs of help, no giant blankets, no food...what did they want?

Her question was answered as the dark night suddenly erupted into bright streaking light. She screamed, covering her head as they unleashed a terrible wall of gunfire upon her.

"Stop! Please!" She shrieked as the tiny painful bullets struck her back, "I didn't mean to hurt anyone! I'm sorry!" She cried again as she started to tremble...how long would it take for them to bring her down? For the bullets to rip and tear their way through her massive wall of flesh.

"I said stop!" She finally screeched turning towards them. The people below seemed to panic but continued to shoot up at her, "P-Pleas-" She gagged as she felt a terrible burning in the back of her throat. She covered her mouth with one hand, sweeping the other down into the line of cars and men, eyes widening as they simply exploded into the air. She only meant to scare them, or perhaps just knock them over. Now she stared down on a pile of burning cars and scattered bodies, "I-I-I" She tried to apologize again but the words did not come...she had done it again! And this time under her own will! She rose to her feet and ran, escaping deeper into the forested wilderness. She wanted to hide, but where could she? The trees did not come over her waist, the hills could not cover her trembling figure. She could only run further and further.

An hour later she had found herself in the mountainous terrain, finally something that stood over even her head. She climbed up into the forested mountains, eventually finding herself before a small lake that could not even substitute as a bathtub for her. She set down, pulling her knees to her chest as she rocked back and forth in despair. She tried to shake the word out of her mind, she wanted to believe that it was not true, that she was just herself...but still it seemed to be burned into her mind.

"I'm a monster" She whispered to herself softly, lip quivering as she began to weep once more...her cheeks slowly growing damp as the water flowed from her eyes just one more thing to prove the words that flowed over her tongue...she had become a monster...