- Text Size +
Mike leaned his elbows on the railing, eyes staring down into the dark blue water. A yellowing white rope clung tightly to the railing as it dipped down into the ocean. He followed the rope until it disappeared into the depths. He let out a long sigh, eyes rising towards the horizon, gently rising and falling as the boat made its way across the open ocean. As his eyes scanned the horizon he noticed a little blip where the sky met the ocean. He squinted at it, but after a minute forgot about it. He turned his back to the water and looked up to where his father was steering the vessel. His eyes scanned across the blue letters painted on the cabin, "Juliet" the mother he only remembered through old polaroid photos. He sort of blankly stared at the name until he heard a knocking.

His vision shifted upwards, his father was knocking on the window. He rotated his hand, a slightly concerned looked on his face. He slid the window open, "Pull up the net"

Mike turned and started pulling the crank, eyes falling on something approaching from the horizon, as it got closer he saw it was another boat, though it was strange to see such a small one this far out.

"Whats going on, Don?" One of the other crewmen called up.

"I'm not sure, they aren't responding to radio" His fathers strong voice called back.

Mike gathered the net when it finally hoisted out of the water. The few seconds that followed, as Mike fumbled with the fish filled net, moved in slow motion. It first started with a cry that struck him as strange, his mind trying to comprehend what was actually said. Pirates He whispered, why would someone yell that? There was suddenly a series of rapid pops echoing over the water. Mike closed his eyes as a hot liquid sprayed over his face his legs giving out. He heard his father scream something as he fell to the rough plastic deck.

"I'm alright! I'm Alright!" Was the first thing he managed to say eyes swinging with the fishnet that was now dripping blood and fish guts. On the wall to where his back stood there were three black holes. The air was filled with shouting now, not all of it in english. Mike rolled onto his stomach, slipping slightly on the blood drenched deck as he scrambled into the cabin door. Another series of shots rang out, the engines roared as his father turned to elude their pursuers. Suddenly there was another burst of fire, the walls around him splintered, a sharp pain suddenly seizing his shoulder, Mike fell to the ground feeling a warm sensation spread from his shoulder along his arm and down his chest.

His vision faded in and out, he started to wonder if he was hallucinating as he saw a dark mist swirling outside of the cabin window. He thought it was smoke, the boat must have been on fire he thought to himself. But everything was silent, no screams no shots. There was a large creak that shook the entire boat, Mike could feel as the boat seemed to be bending and twisting as the creak grew louder. There was a loud tearing, then nothingness.

Mike felt water gently lapping at his forehead. He strained to lift his head, his throat burning and his shoulder pulsing with the constant pain. His blurry vision gave way to rolling blue swells. His arms and legs were draped over a white piece of debris, he assumed a strip of the hull. He looked around for other signs of the boat but there were none, just light blue ocean water. As he peaked on one of the swells he caught a glimpse of a green strip of land. A tiny scrape of hope lifted his spirits as he gently started pushing his feet outwards. His weak thrusts were hardly enough to effect his course against the unusually large swells. The swells grew larger and the sound of waves started to fill his ears, pushing him to stay on his raft and stay awake.  The waves crashed far from shore, as he learned. He nearly screamed, if he was able, as he fell with the massive wave, suddenly being thrown into a world of foamy water. He tried to find his bearings, but was slammed by another force from above. His back scraped against the rough sandy bottom. He desperately pushed off the floor and paddled with his good arm towards the sun.

Mike gasped, now lost in a world of giant crashing waves. He only thought to keep swimming with the crashes, constantly fighting to keep his lungs filled with air. After what felt like days his feet touched sand. With his last few ounces of life he dragged himself out of the water, collapsing once his feet touched solid ground.

~~~

Vincent scanned the shoreline, cautiously remaining in the brush. His brow furrowed as he noticed a strange white object floating in the surf. After double checking his sides he carefully made his way out towards the water, his movements swift for a man of his age. He waded into the surf and gripped the large strip, it was a material that he found somewhat familiar yet so alien. He ran his rugged hand over the slick surface before tucking it under his arm and heading back up the beach. He then noticed something else. His eyes widened as he made out the figure of a person near the waters edge. He rushed over, the features of the young man becoming more defined. He feared the worst as he came to a halt, but saw the mans chest rise and fall. He crouched down, frowning at the ghastly wound streaking across his shoulder. He tore his sleeve and tied it around the wound.

"Hey" He said, tapping the man on the cheek, "Come on wake up tides coming in" He urged with a gentle grin.

"W-What" Mike mumbled shaking his head.

"I'm not carrying you"

Mike's eyes flicked open, focusing on a rather ragged looking old man, a mat of white hair on his head and a long scraggly beard. "W-Where am I?" He stammered trying to sit up.

Vincent helped the man up, "Well, that depends" Mike eyed him suspiciously, "Where are you from son?"

"Florida-but we were pretty far out"

"Florida" The man mused, "You're very far from Florida my friend"

"What do you mean? Where am I? My father could be still out there we need to call the coast guard!"

Vincent sighed, "Well we gotta' get you off this beach, I'll explain on the way"

~~~

"I have to be dreaming" Mike said in disbelief, both reaction to the bizzarre sites of the jungle and the mans stories.

"Afraid not" Vincent said, who had just finished giving Mike a quick walkthrough of his situation, which was as follows: His boat had entered a rare dimensional portal, and now he was in a completely different world. They entered Vincents village, which looked something out of a fairy tail. The houses and shops were built into the trunks of the massive and winding trees, rising up in spiraling pillars up into the canopies. Mike caught some strange looks from the townspeople, perhaps it was his torn and bloodstained clothes. Vincent brought him into his home, fitting him into some of his own clothes for now.

"How do they fit?"

"A little tight" Mike responded, "But not bad, thank you" He fell back into a cushioned chair, "So, you mean to tell me I got sucked into another dimension?"

"As far as I know, I have been trying to figure it out myself, and my father before me" He went on to tell his story. Long ago, when Vincent was just a boy, he and his father were caught by a similar storm. When they got here it seemed a miracle that they were together, no others from their vessel were anywhere to be found. Almost instantly his father started to catalog their findings, writing up a few theories of how the portal worked. They had also discovered that people had started slipping through these portals almost as soon as they started to explore the oceans, eventually civilization took hold in small and remote pockets. Vincent had yet to meet another human that actually came from earth, most were born here by now. After a somewhat strange dinner cooked by his wife Vincent produced a thick and worn book. The pages were filled with essays and drawings. Many of the creatures looked pretty earthly, except for the slightly disturbing scaling descriptions.

Vincent left Mike with the book as he went to help his wife clean up. Later in the book there were descriptions of electricity, and how to to manufacture various other technologies. Mike just noticed that they in fact seemed to have electricity in the house, even though the lights didn't look like they did back home. "So you brought electricity here?"

"Yeah, though it took a long time to perfect it, or get it to its current state. You see instead of fossil fuels we discovered that there are ways to produce it using the rather oversized and strange fruits that grow in the tree tops"

"Huh" Mike said, not really able to picture how it was possible.

"Yeah, we brought a few ideas over. We are still perfecting the telegram, I'm even drawing up plans for an automobile" He said pretty proudly, "Though we have been careful to keep the darker side of mankind's innovation away"

"Such as?"

"Well, guns for starters. I know they did serve some legitimate uses back home, as well as some evil ones. But we are also fortunate enough that humans rarely engage in conflict here, there is always an abundance of land and resources, people always seem happy to see each other"

"Well, thats good I guess"

"Yes, and besides a gun would not give you much protection here from predators. Most are big enough that a bullet would hardly leave a scratch, but most just ignore us anyway"

"Wow, but what if you need to defend yourself? Do you use bows and arrows?"

"Oh certainly not!" He said with a laugh, he walked over to a wall and lifted a large black pole, one end had a sharpened end, "This is how we turn away nosey wolves and snakes"

"A spear?"

"Oh and much much more" He said, a grin spreading over his wrinkled face, "Every man in this village is equipped with one of these" He twisted a knob down by the bottom. A bright white light suddenly illuminated the tip of the spear, he shut it off after waving it around a little bit, "Dig this into a paw or where ever and that beast will go crying with his tall between his legs"

"Woah" Mike responded, feeling like a child in front of a toy store.

"Here, take this" Vincent said setting the spear back on its rack, he then lifted a thin narrow pouch and handed it to Mike.

Mike looked at it for a moment then gently opened the pouch, pulling out a long black knife. He noticed a switch on the side and flicked it, eyes widening as the blade soon vibrated with electricity. He turned it off, "I can just have this?"

"As long as you be careful with it, that might help you out of a tight spot, one I'm much too old to get myself into anymore. Take care not to use the juice carelessly, the battery is strong but is not infinite"

"I will" Mike assured him, still admiring the strange blade.

It didn't take Mike long to assimilate into the strange new village, he learned how to gather fruits and other daily chores that his new life entailed. Though in the back of his mind he always was thinking of his father, hoping that he was still alive somewhere...