- Text Size +

No sign of Rachel. August was well on her way home to Rachels, and the sun was already up, but no sign of her. Hardly any people had woken up yet, but August felt the stress overpowering her anyway. What if her magic had misfired? What if Rachel was simply gone? It wasn't unheard of, magic running amok, but August had never seen it in her lifetime. She had to figure out what to do if that was the case, but first things first. Look for Rachel at Rachels place.

A glass prison is about the worst place to be when you are scared. No place to hide, either from the outside or from one self. Rachel was haunted by thoughts. She had given up screaming a long time ago and now she sat, shivering. She wasn't cold, just scared. She couldn't cry anymore either. The stains from her tears on the dress was gone. That itchy dress was her only comfort in this harsh prison. Her thoughts were pounding in her head, or perhaps it just was her heart beating. She didn't feel like she was thinking, or when she thought about it, it felt like she was thinking to much. Nothing made sense. She was even unaware of the shadow lurking outside of the jar.
- "My daugher is too impatient sometimes...". The pounding in her head stopped. That voice had broken the spiral. "I try to teach her kindness and look what she does."
- "What did she do?" Rachel blurted. The old lady was moving around the room.
- "She put you in there for one thing. Instead of listening to you. She made one try to understand you, and when she couldn't, she gave up."
- "I thought you didn't speak english..." There was no other person in the room so the voice must have been the ladys.
- "I don't... It's confusing, I know, but let's just accept that we understand one another for now. It will pass soon so I suggest you listen." She came to the jar and scooped Rachel up. On the desk now there was a bowl of what smelled like tea. The lady gestured to it, beckoning Rachel to drink.
- "Thank you..." The bowl was huge and Rachel wasn't really sure how to drink from it.
- "It was the smallest object I could find to pour the tea in I'm afraid." the woman said smiling. "Drink up, you'll need the strength."
- "What was it you wanted to tell me?"
- "You are just as impatient as her... I guess you would be around the same age." It was hypnotizing watching the lady speak. Like a badly dubbed movie, the sounds and the movement of her lips didn't match.
- "I'm sorry." Rachel apologized. She found a way to drink at last, and the ladys smile became even warmer.
- "There is no need to apologize... I was just thinking out loud. I don't get to see her much these days." The warmth of the tea poured out in every inch of Rachels body... well... relative inches at least. She felt comfort, her mind was clearing up, and the lump in her throat from all the crying disappeared. "You are human, and I know this because I entered you. My daugher tried and failed. She sensed magic in you and assumed you are fairy. We are totem, and we mistook you for one of ours, and for that I am deeply sorry. Totems are allergic to fairy magic, and when I sensed all that magic in you I thought you were dying, so I made a quick desition. A little too quick..." She pointed to the green flames in the fireplace.

- "That is our defence against the magic poison. It removes the magic in totems, leaving them to heal over time. With you on the other hand, it locked magic inside, and that is what confused my daugher. Humans don't usually posess magic, but fairys do... The magic inside you made it so that my daughter couldn't enter you."
- "What is this 'entering' you talk about?"
- "Totem are animal guardians. We protect life of creatures. Fairy are forest guardians. They protect the life of plants. They have magic. We have communication. We are at liberty to enter creatures minds, control them even. Don't be alarmed, I only use this skill to communicate with you. However, your magic has started to regain it's strength so I won't be able to keep the connection. Drink your tea in peace, and I will fetch you a means of escape. She will know you, and you can tell her where you want to go." The lady was standing by the door.
- "Thank you." said Rachel, confused by this information overload, and the lady left.

August was in Rachels apartment. She didn't expect Rachel to be there. The key was in Rachels clothes, and Rachels clothes was in a pile on Augusts floor. Being a fairy, August didn't need a key. She felt like she was invading Rachels privacy. Usually she would never enter without permission, but this wasn't a usual situation. Rachel wasn't here and August decided that this problem was out of hand. She couldn't solve this on her own, and she headed home, taking one last look between Rachels place and hers to see if she could find Rachel...