- Text Size +

It's a very angry young fairy running through the forest. She has sensed something. She can't say what it is, but it's nagging in her mind. She at least knows where it comes from. Her tree... her very first tree. She has only been taking care of it for a couple of weeks. She got the tree from her grandmother when she turned 7 years old. A very old and proud willow that her grandmother in turn had gotten when she was a little girl. It was family heirloom, so she wasn't going to let anything bad happen to her tree.

It had been a fine day until the bad feeling in her stomach arrived. Sun was shining, but in just a couple of minutes, dark clouds had gathered and the forest had gone silent. All animals were preparing for storm. The tree was far from the village. So far in fact that her parents had been warning her about going there alone. She might think she was a big girl now that she had gotten a tree, but her wings were still weak, so she could only fly tiny bits at the time. Hence the running. She didn't even notice when the rain started falling hard around her. There was a brigh flash and she turned her head. Lightning... and loud thunderclaps. Lightning had struck somewhere near. she just kept on running until she saw the old willow.

She couldn't see much. Partly because she collapsed of exhaustion and partly because of the rain. She gathered herself and moved closer to the tree. Now she saw it. There was something sitting on the ground in front of the tree. The angry fairy was so sure it was that thing, whatever it was, that was hurting the tree and making her feel bad. She strode forward, not really thinking about what she might find, she just knew she had to get rid of it.

It was a girl. A huge girl. She looked like she was younger than the fairy, but still, she was immensly big. A human girl. A sobbing human girl, curled up by the roots of the tree. The fairy was taken by surprise. She had never seen a human before. She had imagined humans more... scary. This was just a four year old girl who was sad... or afraid, or both even.
- "Hi there..." the fairy said. She remebered that she wasn't supposed to talk to humans, but she didn't really care. What was this girl going to do to her? The girl looked up from her sobbing and saw the fairy waving at her, but she kept on crying. "It really is rude to ignore people when they are talking to you..."
- "I'm not supposed to talk to strangers..." the girl managed to get out between sobs.
- "And I'm not supposed to talk to you either, but here we are... kind of already talking..." The girl just pulled her knees up and buried her face and continued sobbing. "What are you so sad about? You are making my tree feel bad."
- "I'm sorry... didn't mean to make her sad too..." The fairy reacted to hearing the girl call the tree a she, but she didn't mention it. "It's just that I'm lost... and thunder is scary..." the girl said, really trying her best to pick herself up.
- "How did you get lost?"
- "We were playing hide and seek, but I ran too far, and now I can't find my way back." Great thought the fairy. More humans around. This one she could manage but if more was coming for the girl she might need to get away fast.

Suddenly there was a shooting pain in her stomach. She had almost forgotten about it when she met the girl, but this time it was really painful. She had a look around to see if anything was wrong with the tree, and as soon as she saw the clouds above, she knew it was already late. Her skin prickled and she took off with greatest speed possible. She remembered the human, but by now there wasn't anything she could do for the girl. All she could do was watch in slow motion as a white light was formed over her tree. A human of course would never be able to see this, but the fairy saw the lightning form, and rip through the air, and down through her tree. Every branch lit up with a white flame. It was too bright, and there was a pressure wave pushing the fairy away.

She found herself in a bush, with some bruises, but she was feeling empty. She got up and looked where her tree used to be. Nothing. It was like the tree had vanished, leaving only a hole in the ground. The fairy started crying. She saw a faint glow over by the new hole. It was her grandmother. She could hear her calling.
- "August! Aaaaaaaaaaaaauguuuuuuuuuuuuuust!" The young fairy took a great leap and flew into her grandmothers open arms in tears.
- "I'm sorry!" Her grandmother stroked Augusts cheek and smiled.
- "I'm just glad you weren't harmed." August let go of her grandmother and started to look around.
- "The girl! There was a girl by the tree when it got hit!"
- "What?"
- "A human girl by the tree! She must be here somewhere!" She got almost angry over how slow her grandmother was. While she was trying to look for the girl, all her grandmother did was close her eyes. And then she felt it. It was like a bubble that grew around her grandmother. It continued to expand. August realized her grandmother was using magic. What a weird day. First time she saw a human, and shortly thereafter, the first time she saw, or rather sensed magic. Her grandmother took off towards the ground and towards a rock. There was the girl. she was bleeding heavily from her head. August froze at this awful sight.
- "August! Snap out of it!" her grandmother yelled. "I can keep her alive, but she needs human care! Her parents are in that direction. Go get them!"

Her grandmother was amazing. Not only did her magic bubble find the girl, it also found her parents. August was getting tired now. She knew she had to hurry, and she tried to fly in the direction her grandmother showed her, but her wings didn't have the strenght. It became half running and half flying. She stumbled a lot, but she had to keep going. She heard a deep male voice calling something. She looked up and saw a man. The second human she ever saw was a full grown man. But she saw him too late and stumbled right into his stomach and fell to the ground. He spotted the young fairy. She could see that he had been crying as he bent down and picked her up. He had the same eyes as the little girl. She tried to yell to him that his girl was over there, but she couldn't get a word out because of exhaustion. She pointed franticly towards where her tree used to be and it seems like he understood. He set off running with her in his hand. August had never travelled this fast by foot. His giant steps echoed through the forest, and the wind was howling in Augusts ears. She saw the hole from the tree now.
- "Over there!" She was finally able to speak. As he heard the fairy he charged for all he was worth for the last bit towards the rock.
- "RACHEL! Oh thank god!" he screamed as he saw his daughter lying on the ground. She wasn't bleeding anymore. He set down August on the ground and picked the girl up instead. He took off again. August fell to her knees, head spinning.
- "There there..." her grandmother said, lifting the fairy up on her back. "Everything is going to be alright..."