- Text Size +
Kate looked at Mark's tiny form, who seemed unable to move. Without thinking, she grabbed him and put him inside her pajamas' left pocket. The door opened.

''All right Kate, mom and dad want you to come down. One of those family meetings they love so much.''

''Great. Can't you tell them I'm sleeping or something?''

''We all heard you talk to your Internet friend or whatever. Couldn't quite make out what was said, but they know you're not sleeping.''

Kate sighed. ''All right. Coming.''

She put her hand inside her pocket and rubbed Mark's back with her finger. Then she went down the stairs to the dining room where her parents were waiting for her, walking as slowly as she could, partly because of concern for the person she was carrying, but also because she really, really didn't want to be there. Her plump, short-haired mom greeted her.

''Evening, darling. Sit down, we need to talk.''

''You mean, you need to talk to me, and I must listen if I know what's good for me,'' Kate thought. She wished she had the guts to actually say it.

''We let you choose which school you wanted to go to,'' began her mother. ''We also let you choose which program you wanted. You can't say we didn't give you free roam on this. And what do we learn? That you hate it, it seems. You don't go to your classes most of the time, and you don't even listen when you do. You don't do your homework. You basically waste your days at the library or the cafeteria. Now, I hope you understand this isn't appropriate behavior, especially from a fine young lady like you.''

Kate nodded unenthusiastically.

''Are you even listening to me?''

''I... um... ''

''You see, Kate, life isn't just about leisure and free time. We expect you to study in order for you to choose a career. You are very, very lucky. You know that, right? Your family is pretty well-off. You know, to pay for things like food, clothes, rent ?''

''I know, mom. I'm not stupid.''

''Don't talk to me like that. It would be nice of you to at least act like you're thankful to us, and everything we did for you. Isn't this worth a little something? What do you think?''

''I... I...''

She wanted to say so many things, but couldn't. Fear was gripping in her stomach, and tears were starting to form in her eyes.

''Oh, no. Don't start this with us.'' Her mother rolled her eyes and started playing an imaginary violin. ''Listen. It never worked with us, and never will. Don't play the big drama queen.''

Anger started to mix with the fear and sadness. Unable to take anymore, Kate got up and ran back to her room, smashing the door behind her.

When she was back on her computer chair, a rush of fear and guilt passed through her like a sword. She reached for her pocket, picked up Mark and put him back on the computer desk. He sat down, looking slightly confused.

''I'm sorry for running! Oh geez, are you okay?''

''Yeah, I'll be fine. Felt a bit like a roller coaster. Remember, I climbed here on your sister's foot. I'm used to hanging on. It's you that I'm worried about. You gonna be okay?''

Kate was wiping her tears. ''... I guess. She does that all the time. You'd think I'd be used to it by now''

''I'm sorry.'' He got up and walked to her hand, a few inches away from where he was. He sat down again, then put his hand on her thumb. ''I wish I could hug you. You really need it right now.''

''Thanks... We can talk more about it later, okay? I really need to think of something else now.''

Mark nodded. ''I can understand that. So... You asked me how I shrank, if I remember rightly?''

Kate's face quickly shifted to a curious look. ''Yeah. It's like the weirdest thing I've ever seen. Is it magic? Someone cursed you?''

''That's about right. It's magic, and it's a curse. However, you may be surprised to learn that... it was me who did the curse. Voluntarily.''

''Y-you did that to yourself? But why?''

''I was sick of my life. I couldn't take it anymore. I think you know that feeling. Well, for me, this was an escape. ... The funny thing is, I didn't plan to shrink myself. The spell was supposed to permanently turn me into a mouse.''

''...Wow. So what happened?''

''I tried modifying the spell. You may know this, mice only live a few years, tops. So, with my limited knowledge of magic, I tried to turn myself into a mouse that had the life expectancy of a human. It worked, at least for a while. But after a few weeks or so, the spell did a weird thing. It changed me back to human form... but not to human size.''

''Incredible... Is there any way to reverse the spell?''

Mark looked suddenly uncomfortable. He looked around the room for a moment, then replied ''Not that I know of. Remember, I was planning to spend the rest of my life as a mouse. There might be some way to change me back, I guess, but I don't know it.''

''Oh. I see. Well, thanks for the story, Mark.''

She yawned.

''I think I'm going to go to bed now. I don't have a bed for you, but let's see...''

She pulled a few tissues from their box, folded them and placed them in front of her tiny friend.

''This will have to do for now. Sorry, all my doll houses are in my sister's room. I guess I could ask her to borrow one of them, but it would sound weird, wouldn't it?''

''Agreed. Don't worry, your Kleenex bed is perfectly fine for now. Um... Do you mind if I remove my loincloth for sleeping? I just don't want to accidentally harm myself with the needle during the night.''

''Oh, no problem. See? I'm already not looking.'' She turned off the lights, then got on her bed, looking away. ''Good night, Mark!''

''Good night, Kate!'' yelled Mark, just to be sure she heard him.

''Mark did this to himself,'' Kate thought, lying in her bed. ''In some sense, I admire him for doing that. I wish I had the courage to do the same. I wish I could just... Escape.''

After these thoughts, she fell asleep.