- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
After the 2016 presidential elections, the new man at the top of the federal government has overseen the introduction of ruthless new crime prevention initiatives. They include drastic increases in police numbers. But as for the penalties...
Ben had lost his job. The factory where he worked had been outsourced to Mexico and he along with several hundred others had been laid off. He lived in a small hovel on the edge of town, had a wife and two kids to support, had hardly any money, no car, nothing of value. Expect a gun. He carried the gun with him now. He knew the penalties for what he was about to do, but what choice did he have. He could either take this course of action, or he and his family would starve. There were no new jobs in town. Everything had been outsourced. Well, apart from a few shops, but they had few vacancies and many applicants. This was what he must do.

He pushed open the glass door, went past a tall red haired woman, and joined the end of the line. We waited impatiently until the teller said "next please". He removed the gun, pointed it at the teller. "No one moveĀ”, he said, waiving it around the bank. No one plays a hero, and no one gets hurt. Now", he turned back to the teller, pointing the gun in her face, "put all your money in a paper bag. Get a flaming move on".

He knew how risky his criminal endeavor had been. After the increases in police funding tenfold as part of the new crime prevention initiatives, he knew there was a very good chance of him getting caught. So he was not awfully surprised when half a dozen heavily armed cops entered the bank and apprehended him. The penalties were even more ruthlessly efficient. But he had had to take the risk. There had been no other option.