- Text Size +

Stars danced around my vision in the blackness as the bones in my torso popped and cracked.  My organs felt compacted together like Play Dough squished into a thimble.  I could barely imagine her foot filling up the shoe, her toes themselves compacted in the tiny toe section, her foot arched in the high heel and resting, along with her entire body weight, onto her helpless son, immersed and buried underneath. 

Almost immediately, my mom took a step, and as I rose with the shoe, the pocket of air between her two toes returned, and the weight abated just enough to allow my lungs to suck in whatever pathetic oxygen remained under her toes.  Before I could fill my lungs, her foot came crashing down, and I screamed silently as her skin smothered my face, again ripping the air from my body. 

Another step.  Another tiny breath, followed by the agony of her foot-fall.

This continued until she presumably reached the door to the room, as she stopped walking and simply crushed me continually.  Already, my body was getting numb, and amid claustrophobia and panic, I felt I might completely black out any moment.

I barely heard the muffled sound of the door closing as she walked once more, and for the first time in my life, I was glad my mother was walking on top of me as oppossed to standing in place!

I tried to time my breaths with her walking pace, knowing my only chance for survival, since I couldn't wiggle a even finger, was to breath as she raised her foot each step.  This produced little oxygen of any value, but I managed to keep myself conscious during the ordeal.

Several minutes passed, and I calculated we had gone down the elevator and were now crossing the hotel lobby towards the front doors.  Undoubtedly, she would take a cab to her next destination.  Somewhere along the way, I had to get her attention.

After emerging outside, I heard the muffled sounds of a city inside my high heel prison; cars honking, people yelling, slight vibrations rattling the shoe.  My mom stood once again, and I begged her to move.  She was waiting for a cab, I decided, and I struggled under her foot as I squished my eyes shut and tried to move, to wiggle--but all to no avail. I was cemented in place, her toes and sole smothering me.

My heart raced, and I felt a true fear of death for the first time as my mom patiently awaited a ride to her conference downtown.