- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
THE PENTAGON, WASHINGTON, D.C.
EARTH-DXM (AUG. 12, 2009)
* * * * *

The fight had begun more or less equally. Mai had drawn her katana in traditional "iai" fashion. While Valentina had ducked beneath, using a semi-kneeling evasion taught in Occidental fencing. She had then used the spiked buckler, in her left hand, to parry Mai's attempted right-to-left decapitation stroke.

After that, came a series of thunderous "clangs" as katana clashed with Hungarian saber. That is; until the black smoke from bursting artillery shells (fired by British-made 6"/30 hundred-weight howitzers) made them aware that their duel had carried them all the way to the outskirts of Normal World's version of Moscow!

It was at this point that the gaming screen offered two options.

"A) Do you wish to combine forces against the Norms?
B) Do you wish to call a truce and inquire why they're firing upon you?"

MarySue Smith could not concentrate, however. She closed her eyes, and massaged the bridge of her nose. Then, she looked at the wall clock to her right. She was astounded to see that it was almost 9:10 in the evening!

"Great Scott! I've been playing this game for over three hours? No wonder I can't think straight. I've missed supper!"

"I feel responsible for that," replied Dr. Messimer: "Why not let me treat you to dinner?"

"That's very generous of you, doctor. But, don't think for a minute I'm too proud to accept such an offer!"

Dr. Messimer laughed. Following which, she put the game into "stand-by" mode, and went to get her purse. Fifteen minutes later, they were at the local franchise of Wishbone's Restaurant.

"I'll have the filet-of-blofat sandwich," Dr. Messimer told their waiter: "And, for my friend? The Wishbone Special!"

Marysue was about to protest. But, the doctor smilingly held up her right hand, in a silencing gesture.

"I had the take-out version for lunch, earlier this afternoon. And, it was delicious! Furthermore, I wished that someone would come along, before the day was out, to play that computer game with me. And, you did! So, what have you got to lose? While you're eating, think of something that couldn't otherwise possibly happen. And, when you're finished eating? Wish for it!"

She stared at MarySue as she said this last part. An intense, unblinking stare. Marysue could not tear her gaze away from those green eyes. She was like a bird stupefied by a snake!

"Very well," she finally said, gazing up the waiter: "That's exactly what I'll have...and that's exactly what I'll do."

Thirty minutes later, Marysue was down to the eponymous wishbone of her meal. She then broke it, before haltingly saying aloud:

"I wish...that I could be...a kick-ass giantess...like Tanaka Mai."

tbc
Chapter End Notes:
The original draft of this chapter was much longer. But, the computer wouldn't allow it! :-(

Something about "not cleared for that function." So, what should have been the central interlude of this chapter will have to be the opening scene of the next one.