- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
NORTHERN TERRITORY, AUSTRALIA
EARTH-DXM (SAME AS LAST TIME)
Zavia smiled as she looked at the Grolex ladies' watch that was nearly camouflaged by all the gold bracelets on her right wrist.

"Oh, dear! I've got another show starting in five minutes. I guess I'll have to settle for watching your demise on tulpa-disc playback."

With that, she pressed a hidden button on the watch, and activated a cross-time warp that she promptly stepped through. Meanwhile, the monitor-like garhus that she had gigantized advanced ever closer. Their pinkish forked tongues flickering in and out and in and out. Almost hypnotically!

"Any bright ideas, Ray?" muttered Deborah.

That was when a familiar cawing came to his giant-sized ears. Prompting him to smile.

"How fast can you shrink to human size?" he whispered: "And, transfer to my right hand?"

"What do you have in mind?"

"An emergency airlift."

That was when Deborah finally heard the bird call, as well.

"No time like the present!"

Seconds later, Deborah was literally in the palm of his hand. A moment after that, he threw her straight upward!

"Ed, catch!"

The fish crow flew downward, while Deborah shrank even further. Until she was small enough, in fact, to perceive Edgar's neck as being thick and round as a keg of brandy. She then grasped it in much the same manner!

The Kill-bite Clan, not wanting the other sizehu to escape, began to charge. Giving Ray the perfect reason to open up with molecular disruptor.

* * * * *

WASHINGTON, D.C.
AUGUST 13, 2009
12:30 AM/EDT
(EARTH-DXM)

"Brass-1 to Teleforce Fire Control," said General Michaelsen: "Status report."

"TFC to Brass-1," came the response: "Firing time is T-Minus 5 minutes/33 seconds, and counting."

The President could not take his eyes off the news footage being transmitted to his laptop by CNN helicopters. Tanaka Mai and Thunder Child were still going at it, hammer-and-tong. Or, rather, ice axe and iron claw! Then, suddenly, he stiffened, as he noticed some hourglass-shaped structures, in the background.

"General! Hold the countdown! Those two viragos are approaching the nuclear power plant at Three Mile Island. If they topple into it, when the beam stuns them, they could cause a worse explosion than Hiroshima and Nagasaki put together!"

"But, sir!" countered Michaelsen: "The simultaneous firing solution is already locked into place. If the alpha targets move beyond calculated range while we're holding..."

"I don't care, General! An American Chernobyl is _not_ the lesser of two evils in this case."

"Sir?" inquired the voice at the other end of Michaelsen's cellphone: "Did I hear correctly, sir? Are we to hold the countdown?"

"Negative," replied Michaelsen: "Maintain countdown."

The President sat bolt upright in his chair, incredulous horror on his face. This inaction was long enough for Michaelsen to bio-electrically stun him into unconsciousness!

"Time to firing?" he asked, with a barefully suppressed hint of glee in his voice.

"T-Minus 4 minutes/59 seconds and counting, sir."

Michaelsen smiled, as he resumed the bald humanoid form all male Morphers found it so much easier to maintain.

tbc