- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
WASHINGTON, D.C.
AUGUST 12, 2009
11:00 PM (EDT)
EARTH-DXM
* * * * *

Nguyen Trinh Thi had been the heroine of North Vietnam when she drove the American running dogs out of Saigon, in 1968. Now, she had come to the islands of Upolu and Savai'i (on behalf of her country's East German kameraden) to "protect" their peoples from the Americans on nearby Tutuila And, there was nothing they--the Americans, of course--could do about it!

Then, it happened. SHE waded ashore! A round-eye giantess dressed like an Australian frontiersman.

"Who...you?" she asked, in broken English.

"The name's Olivia Twist. 'Nullaroo Nollie,' to m'cobbers.* And, if you please, Miss? I want Samoa!"

General Michaelsen could not helping wincing at this pun, as he watched the ensuing fight, via NSA satellite link, from the Oval Office of the White House. The POTUS, of course, mistook it for something else.

"I share your puzzlement, General. Samoa?! Those two are duking it out right offshore of Waikiki Beach!"

"It's the rogue transmission, Mr. President. The parameters of this magically-enhanced game have made these two think they're fighting over the Western Samoan Islands at the height of an alternate-Earth's Cold War. But, the NSA have ascertained their real identities. The 'Viet Cong' giantess is actually Kona Mahajopu. President of the Science Club at Honolulu's King Kamehameha High School!"

"And, Mad Maxine, there?"

"Valerie Forbush; a student nurse in Darwin, Western Australia."

The POTUS sighed and shook his head, while simultaneously massaging the bridge of his nose with his left hand. So, Michaelsen took the opportunity to clear his throat.

"If I may, sir? It's obvious the G.T.S. aren't going to be able to contain this crisis. Why, just the pair that started it all have fought their way to the tip of the Delmarva Peninsula! Please, sir! Give me the word. Let me activate...Operation: Teleforce."

The POTUS used a remote control to turn on his regular television set. He looked at the latest CNN helicopter footage of Thunder Child and Tanaka Mai, as their duel carried them through the waters of Chesapeake Bay. Then, he turned off the TV, before swiveling his chair to the right.

"The word is given."

tbc