- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
MADISON, WISCONSIN
EARTH-DXM (08/12/09)
* * * * *

It was Sadako Kimura's turn as night-shift communications monitor at G.T.S. HQ. At quarter past nine (Central Time), she went down the hall to a vending machine for some coffee. She came back two minutes later, and retook her seat in the swivel chair. And, one minute after that?

She dropped it to the floor as klaxon alarms began blaring all over the place!

The first thing she did was determine the source of the disturbance. The computer-generated map on the giant flatscreen indicated Washington, D.C. She swiftly followed this up with identifying the nature of the disturbance. Although, she already had a pretty good idea of what it was.

Sure enough; it was a mega-giantess!

So, she immediately picked up her cellular headset to call Sarah and Scott.

"She's a big one, guys! Four hundred feet tall, minimum. Satellite tracking has her moving from the area of the Pentagon towards...the vicinity of the Washington Monument."

In their private quarters, the Kensingtons listened to this with alarm. Five minutes earlier, Voyeurman had been telling them about the conversation he had overheard between William Blefescu and his mysterious lordship. The nature of which was made all the more ominous by the fact no agents from the Pennsylvania branch of the FBI had come to search the house as initially expected!

"Do you have a visual on her, Sadako?" demanded Sarah.

"Not yet. Wait! Yes, I do. Patching it through to your laptop screen...now!!"

All three gathered around it, and gasped in perfect unison.


"Isn't that...?" began Scott.

Sarah nodded: "MarySue Smith of the JTF."

* * * * *

Meanwhile, at the Black Mountain Tower (near Canberra, Australia), one of the dayshift security guards was suddenly distracted from his rounds by an outcry from the ground floor reception desk.

"Cor, blimey!"

The guard ran to join his co-worker, shouting inquiries as to what was wrong.

"Look for yourself, cobber! It's a newsflash from the BBC in America."

A small throng of fellow employees and tourists began to surround the two guards. And, they, too, were stunnded by what they saw on the portable TV screen. A raven-haired brunette, in a purplish-pink business outfit, was slowly approaching the Washington Monument. In fact, her image was already blotting out that of the monument in the nearby reflecting pool!

The only two who did not seem interested were a couple in their early thirties who had been studying the list of offices near the lifts (a.k.a. elevators).

"We'll never have a better chance," whispered Deborah.

"Then, let's go," replied Ray.

Three minutes later, they were standing in front of a door clearly marked "CTG Enterprises."

"Still think I'm mistaken?"

Deborah shook her head. She then looked to her left, while Ray did the same to his right. There were no on-lookers what-so-ever. So, they opened the door, and ran inside. The moment they were in the waiting room, Ray locked it behind him, while Deborah strode over to the portly blonde receptionist with dyed-blonde hair.

"Here, now!" shouted the latter, springing to her feet: "Who are you? What's the meaning of this?"

Deborah's only response was to give her a concentrated stare. Whereupon, the flustered young woman found herself two inches tall!

Deborah quickly snatched her up, and pocketed her in her trenchcoat. A moment later, she pressed the buzzer that automatically opened the inner office door. Once again, Ray did the closing as soon as both of them had passed through it.

Which was just as well, as she was just too flabbergasted, for words, at seeing the proof of Ray's story before her very eyes.

"Ray, I swear to you, I had no idea about any of this!"

She gestured at the toy-sized factory complex on the green carpeting.

"I believe you. But, now, it's up to me to see who's trying to besmirch your business' good name."

Deborah could not resist a grin.

"Besmirch???"

Ray half-smiled and shrugged: "Always wanted to use that word."

Whereupon, he shrank down to the smallest size he had ever achieved at Nusi Academy. Exactly one-half of an inch tall! Deborah then knelt on one knee and held out her right pinky. Little Ray grasped it, and crawled up on top of it.

A moment later, she was to the right of the tallest building of the complex. So, she carefully leaned forward and deposited Little Ray on the roof. Following which, she saw a stairway access door gently fall into his hands as he shrank it off its hinges.

The rest was up to him, now.

tbc