- Text Size +
"So!" began Ray: "I understand you're married, now? Congratulations!"

"Thanks," beamed the pretty sizechanger, showing him her ring. Then, she frowned, as he changed the subject to the war on Mega-world.

"How's it going there?" he asked.

"Heating up. The GTS-goddesses who took Superia finally crossed the Strait of Mackinac. They now control half the Mitten.* I had to move my warehouse from Sherwood Forest to Toledo! But, even that's only temporary if they decide to pull a pincer movement against Fort Tyranina."

"I'm sorry to hear that. But, it's about Cross Time Gifts that I asked to talk to you about."

"So, you couldn't come to our house in the States?" she replied with a half-smile: "You had to call collect from Sydney?"

"This is serious, Deb."

He then told her everything about his client, and the over-lapping trouble with I.D.E.E.A. By the time he was done, her face resembled that of a surprised anime character.

"You cannot be serious, Ray. The Doomsday Society is just a harmless lunatic fringe group!"

"Isn't that what most people thought about the Nazi Party in Depression-era Germany? And, look what happened there!"

"Alright, granted. And, I'll admit that the plausible-sounding corporate history I had to fabricate, for our branch on this Earth, is somewhat complicated. But, I definitely don't have a branch factory on Earth-DXM! Shrunken or otherwise."

"Then, why don't we look into that, together?"

"How do you propose to do that?"

He whispered his plan in his ear. And, once more, she became wide-eyed and drop-jawed with astonishment.

"That's pretty daring. Even for you!"

"I'm game if you are."

Whereupon, they looked around to see that no other tourists were near them. When this was established to their satisfaction, Ray telepathically called Ed to their side. The duo then shrank down to one-inch in height, and boarded the fish crow's neck.

A moment later, they were warping their way to the Canberra, Australia of another Earth.

tbc
Chapter End Notes:
* The Mitten: nickname for the Lower Peninsula of Michigan.

Sherwood Forest: I'm not making this up, folks. It's a genuine district of Detroit!

"...corporate history..." See THE I.D.E.E.A. MEN (v. 1/ch. 20).