- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Poker Face

“Where’s the teacher?” Tom heard a muffled voice to the left of the desk.

“I’m in here he shouted,” hoping to get an answer.

The only answer that he got was a very muffled, “uh-dnno” from far away, and a, “Well, let’s have recess all day!” more clearly and much louder in the same voice of the boy who had picked up the car.

“Shit, I’m going to get in trouble for this,” Tom said aloud. “Now, if only I could provide a distraction so that these kids will notice me.”

 Tom looked at his surroundings and looked for something that he could distract the children with. The books were too big to do anything with, and the pencils were to heavy to lift. And it would be nearly impossible to spell ‘H-E-L-P’ with raisons and cookie crumbs by the end of the day. Tom would just have to look in the lunch box, as dangerous as it was.

 

“I call your chocolate pudding, and raise you a cookie,” Michael said and the poker pot got bigger. Jason, Toby, and Michael’s parents played poker together every Friday, so it gave the boys plenty of chance to learn the game.

“I call your cookie with a slice of day-old pizza,” Jason exclaimed and the river came down.  Unfortunately, Jason’s pair of 10’s was no match for the straight that Michael flopped.

  “I’ll get your winnings” Jason sighed and grabbed his lunch box from out of his desk.

He grabbed his pudding and the pizza and put them on the table.

“Can I play?” Shirley Hatchet asked the boys.

“Depends on what you have for lunch,” Toby inquired.

“I still have my half of me Halloween candy,” the girl replied coyly.

“Deal her in!” Michael exclaimed. “She still has candy-corns!”

Little did the boys know that this girl’s father played poker for a living.  After two hands the boys were reduced to health food for lunch and as Shirley munched happily away on the slice of pizza, they plotted revenge.

 

Tom crawled into the lunch box wearily. He looked around to see if maybe there were some pop-rocks or something that could potentially make noise. Mentos and Coke perhaps – but alas he had no such luck.

As Tom crawled back over the piece of pizza near the opening of the lunchbox, it suddenly lifted into the air and Tom found himself in the middle of a desk among other luncheon foods with four hungry looking giant kids and some playing cards.

  He waved to try and get their attention but they were too busy with their game. He waved for minutes, screaming until his throat was hoarse, then without warning there was a large groan from the boys and Tom was moving again – moving toward a little girl’s mouth.

“No! Little girl no!” he screamed as the mouth opened wide and he ran trying to get to the crust. Kids never ate the crust. He made it only half way there before the little girl to a second bit of the pizza, sending him flying backwards onto the girls lips.