- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Note: the Pyramids of Rock Lake are a genuine urban legend.
WASHINGTON, D.C.
AUGUST 11, 2009
(EARTH-DXM)


* * * * *

MarySue Smith winced in puzzlement, as she read the menu at Wishbone's Restaurant: "Blofat? What the heck is blofat?"

"A species of fish unique to Rock Lake, Wisconsin. We're the only restaurant on the East Coast that serves them," replied the waiter (with a slight amount of smug pride).

"Rock Lake?" echoed Starr (MarySue's New Age twin sister): "Oh! That's where those pyramid-shaped rocks are located! The ones that are supposed to be the gateway to a parallel-universe."

"Yeah, right!" snorted her sister: "I'll just have a hot-open turkey sandwich, please. With a cup of herbal tea on the side."

"Certainly," nodded the waiter: "And you, Miss?"

"I'll try this 'Wishbone Special," declared Starr: "That sounds deliciously intriguing."

"Ah! Good choice. Our manager claims that, with each full consumption of that meal, you get to make your fondest wish come true."

Starr's face lit up with a gleeful expression that was in proportionate contrast to the scowling countenance of MarySue. There was a time, not too long ago, when she would have openly tongue-lashed her sister for her neo-pagan beliefs. Public setting or not!

But, for the past five years, men and women who could alter their physical size at will--seemingly by magic--had been a reality that not even pragmatic MarySue could deny. And, as a paralegal for the U.S. Attorney General, himself, she liked to think she had seen and heard it all.

Starr, on the other hand, was a self-proclaimed psychic who worked as an astrologer for the NATIONAL INTELLIGENCER. And, yesterday, she had arrived in town to celebrate their mutual birthday.

The two ate their respective meals in silence. When they were finished, however, Starr looked at MarySue and bluntly commented that she knew what her twin was thinking.

"Really!" retorted the latter: "If you're going to make jokes at my expense, couldn't you be a little more original than that?"

"I'm serious! Despite everything that's happened around the world, these last five years, you still think most of what I believe in is poppycock."

"Giant-sized men and women are one thing, Starr. But, alternate universes containing Xerox copies of Earth? Puh-lease!"

"I wish there was someway I could convince you, Sis."

She said it without thinking. And, at that moment, hundreds of miles distant, a certain Midwestern body of water began to bubble and froth.

tbc
Chapter End Notes:
NEXT: A GTS-GODDESS GOES TO WASHINGTON.