- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
ARCADIA, CALIFORNIA,
EARTH-MRG (08/12/09)
* * * * *

Ray checked his Grolex. It showed the time as 8:00 AM. Of course, that was Eastern Daylight Time, which explained why it was still so dark out, outside the camper. The three-hour time difference.

Suddenly, the back door the camper opened, and in strode Dana.

"Ah! You're finally awake. Good timing."

"Are you just getting in, now?" he exclaimed in reply: "Girl! You keep weirder hours than a sizevamp."

"That's Hollywood, for you!" she laughed: "Sometimes, we work from six at night to six in the morning. Care to watch some 'Kelly and Kathie Lee,' while I get some breakfast from the honeywagon?"

"Why not?"

She opened up her laptop, activated it, and then googled "GoodMorningLive.com"

"You know," she remarked: "I still can't believe there are some parallel-Earths where it's Kathie Lee who left, and Regis who stayed!"

Ray shrugged: "The vagaries of Fate, and all that jazz. Wait until you hear about the dream I had, last night."

Just as Dana was about to hand him the laptop, however, he suddenly tensed.

"Dana; do you have any genuine sizevamps working on this pilot?"

"Just the lead guest-stars. Why?"

His answer was loud and monosyllabic: "Duck!!"

He tackled her to the floor, just as the camper started to look like Swiss cheese from a hail of submachine gunfire!

Knowing it was only a matter of seconds until the fusillade began working its way down, Ray shrunk both himself and Dana down to one inch tall. Then, he pressed the warp-activation buttons on his Grolex. And, when the crosstime warp opened up, relative to their size, he jumped through it. Taking Dana with him in a fireman's carry!

MEANWHILE, BACK ON NEO-GEO 02202010...

...Oralia began frowning in puzzlement. Her little captives kept looking at each other and, yet, said nothing.

"Hmmmmm! Is it possible you two don't speak English? If so, then, it would be a waste of time telling you to strip naked. I'll have to do it for both of you! So, I can see which of you becomes a snack. And, which of you I'm going to keep as my permanent love-slave!"

Agent 678 looked from her to the automatic sprinkler system passing by overhead. Then, he looked at Agent 679, who nodded. They waited until Oralia's hands were almost toward them. And, then, they fired their disruptor rings upward!

KA-ZAP!

BOOOOM!

BAH-RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRING!

Oralia screamed, not knowing whether to cover up her hair or her ears. Thereby allowing enough time for her captives to break left and right, as they leapt out of the frying pan and on to the stove top. From there, they leapt out into space. Grabbing on to Oralia's trouser creases, at the last moment, in order to break their falls!

Upon jumping down to the floor, they headed for the study desks, dodging and weaving through them, at floor level, as if threading their way through a maze. Oralia spotted this, and screamed in frustrated rage. She ran towards the desks, and began to bodily overturn them, in the hopes of exposing and/or cornering the little man-bugs.

The two agents, however, had already left that part of the classroom.

They were now proceeding to climb a number of drawer handles. So, that they could get within jumping distance of a cabinet top flanking a certain window. Oralia was unaware of this, however, until she heard the sound of their disruptor rings at work. Too late, she turned!

Only to see them crash bodily through the section of glass they had carved out a wide circle within.

By the time she reached that counter top, her little captives were gone. Heading straight back, at amazing speed, to the ornamental flower garden where she had first found them.

The two agents took shelter under a thorny-looking rose bush.

"A narrow escape. Wouldn't you say?" Agent 678 remarked. His young partner agreed. He then asked if they should not start "pinging" for their teleportons. Agent 678 nodded.

However, just as they were about to activate the emergency transponders built-in to the missing devices, they heard the familiar sound of a crosstime warp opening up! They hurriedly followed the sound to its apparent source. Yet, by the time they arrived, the warp was closed.

All they found, when they skidded to a stop, were two more people. A woman wearing a white turtleneck sweater. And, a man (roughly the same age as the woman) wearing a flat gray cap and black leather jacket.

"Well-well-well!" quipped Agent 678: "Isn't this a small world?"

THE END...of Volume 1.

To Be Concluded...in Volume 2.
Chapter End Notes:
And, with that, I _resume_ torturing poor Timescribe.

Heeheeheeheehee!