- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
NEW YORK CITY, EARTH-MRG
AUGUST 11, 2009
* * * * *

The Swedish Cottage Marionette Theater had orginally been built as an exhibit for the Swedish Pavilion, at the American Centennial Exposition of Philadelphia, in 1876. By 1939, it had been moved to its present location, where it became the headquarters for a touring puppet show company. And, by 1973, it had been remodeled so that puppet shows could be held inside it, year-round.

Ray Venn was now in the attic of that theater. Having enlarged himself to a foot tall, he was now the same size as the string-operated puppets he hid among. In fact, the only way a normal human would have been able to distinguish him from them was if he were to move under his own power!

Here, he ate his Wishbone special in peace. Then, he made his wish. Although, not until after carefully wording it in his mind. He had worked too many cases resulting from Stanley Wishbone's customers misspeaking their wishes.

"I wish to visit the Wishbone restaurant most recently visited by Doc Kraepelin."

The next thing Ray knew, he was on a floor covered with black-and-white checkered linoleum, and surrounded by a huge, seamless white wall. He immediately recognized the latter as a tablecloth. So, he enlarged another six inches, and walked over to the portion of tablecloth behind him.

As luck would have it, he found himself facing a stucco-painted wall. He resumed full height, and hastily occupied the vacant chair facing away from that wall. This, in turn, gave him an excellent view of the other tables in the establishment.

It was a posh place, featuring a tuxedo-clad pianist playing easy-listening instrumentals. And, a "Wall of Discovery," containing photographic headshots of Gary Cooper, Lana Turner, and Edward Furlong (among others), directly opposite his table.

Almost instantly, a young redheaded waitress came over to fill his water glass and present him with a menu. But, he handed the menu back to her, stating that he would merely have the Wishbone Special.

While waiting for it, he saw a police car pull up front. The female officer who exited from the front passenger seat came in, and went up to the take-out window. Ray's eyebrows arched when he heard the number of Wishbone Specials that she was there to pick up.

"Thirteen?" he echoed, sotto voce: "What's that all about? Some kind of donut rehab?"

The police car was long gone by the time Ray got his second Special of the day. He did not let that bother him, however. He merely consumed it before making his next wish.

"I wish to know where that policewoman was taking all those Specials."

The next thing he knew, he was surrounded by what appeared to be an all-girl motorcycle gang. Most of whom were pointing Intratec machine pistols at him!

tbc
Chapter End Notes:
Wow! I thought this would only go on for three chapters, at most. I guess Sir Pix is proven right again: some stories _do_ seem to write themselves!