- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
WASHINGTON, D.C.
EARTH-DXM (08/12/09)
* * * * *

"Barney? Barrrrrr-ney!" came the sing-song voice: "Time to wake up, little one. You have visitors."

Barney opened his eyes and yawned. For a moment, he thought he was back home, in his own bedroom. But, it all came flooding back to him when he saw her face. That giant, bespectacled, green-yed face with the reddish-gray hair styled in a bun!

Dr. Messimer smiled at the gasp that came from her tiny little subject. She then nodded to the trio of people standing slightly behind her, and to her right.

"This is MarySue Smith, from the Joint Task Force on the Transition to a New World Order. And, these gentlemen are Agents Foster and Grant from the Department of Homeland Security."

The woman was about fifteen years younger than Dr. Messimer and resembled a Jackie Onassis fan-girl. What with her blue eyes; raven-black hair (in a pageboy cut); and gray midi-skirt with matching blazer (over a white blouse). The men, on the other hand, could have been clones of Hugh Weaving from THE MATRIX trilogy!

Marysue bent down for a closer look into the hamster cage.

"This?! This is the so-called 'giantess' who kept reciting my name like a Buddhist mantra? With all due respect, Dr. Messimer, I find that very hard to believe. Despite the current state of the world!"

"On the contrary, Ms. Smith. Transgender metamorphosis, induced by a metaphysically-enhanced boardgame, is something that I would deem _most definitely_ part-and-parcel of today's world! But, that is irrelevant compared to the fact that G-2's initial findings were verified by your own experts at the Justice Department.* Namely; that Gray Fox Novelties is owned by CTG Enterprises of Canberra, Australia."

"Precisely, Doctor," nodded the younger woman: "And, the main clearinghouse for Gray Fox is on Santa Catalina, off California. So, pursuant to a Federal warrant, that clearinghouse is being inspected by the FBI, even as we speak. Let me assure you that any copies of 'Sizecraft' that they come across will immediately be confiscated, and shipped to DARPA for a thorough examination. In the meantime, though..."

Here, Marysue looked down at Little Barney and half-smiled.

"If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to conduct an interrogation of my own. Is there someplace where I could talk to your 'patient,' in private?"

Dr. Messimer smiled back: "Of course! If you'll excuse us, gentlemen?"

"Go right ahead, ladies," replied Agent 678 (alias Agent "Foster"): "We have to go back to our office and write up a suitable progress report, anyway."

As they exited the Pentagon, five minutes later, Agent 679 looked at his partner and whispered: "You know that Catalina clearinghouse will be a dead end for the Bureau."

Agent 678 nodded: "Next stop, for us; Canberra."

tbc
Chapter End Notes:
* G-2: Slang term for U.S. Army Intelligence. Originally stood for "General Staff/2nd Level."

DARPA: Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency.