- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
485 MADISON AVENUE,
MANHATTAN, EARTH-MRG
AUGUST 11, 2009
* * * * *

"Roger" had heard about the indifference of New York City residents. But, he still could not believe it when none of the passers-by in the lobby gave him a second look, as he waited for one of the first floor elevators alongside the incongrously-garbed Raymond Venn, and the pet fish crow perched on the latter's right shoulder.

Five minutes later, all three of them were in Room 203. Officially known as the "Ray Venn Detective Agency," the frosted glass window of the outer door was decorated with the encircled silhouette of a Corvus corax cranium.

As for Venn's unusual prisoner? He bound her with a chain that appeared to be made of sterling silver. He then dropped her (none too gently) into an empty mayonnaise jar.

"Uhm! Mr. Venn...?"

"Call me 'Ray.' "

"Ray. At the risk of sounding histrionic; WHAT THE BLUE BLAZES IS GOING ON HERE???"

Venn smiled as he sat down behind his desk.

"A fair enough question. You might as well take a load off, too, though, while we wait for our mutual acquaintance to revive."

The computer pirate did as instructed. Whereupon, Venn began his recitation.

"First off? Vorexia, here, was once plain old (well, let's be fair, and say 'middle-aged') Veronica Jones. An on-line author of macrophiliac science fiction. You might have read some of her work. She used the screen name, 'Vore X.' Anyway; one night, she goes out to a restaurant called Wishbone's, and orders the house specialty. What does she wish for? To become a sizechanger, like the anti-heroes in her stories! The next thing she knows, she's in a collegiate-looking classroom, on a parallel-Earth, surrounded by a dozen strangers from all walks of life. And, with a sentient blob of protoplasm called a 'Masterchemi' as their teacher!"

A year after graduating from Nusi Academy, Veronica began hanging out with a male sizechanger named Voracio. On their third date, he took her to a Sizeloan nightclub that featured a most unusual animal act.

The "animals" were little people!

Ranging in size from two to six inches in height, they were forced by their female "owner/trainer" to walk across slender wires and jump through fiery hoops. Afterwards, Voracio took Veronica backstage to get a closer look at the cute little "things."

This included watching Voracio and the other woman devouring some of the "creatures" alive!

"She got so turned on, she joined the other two almost instantly. Resulting in an all-night, anthrophagic menage-a-trois! And, that was how she was introduced to the gray market world of human pets. Six months later, she was working for the Sitmobtia. Initially, as a feeder and cage cleaner. Then, as an apprentice trapper. And, ultimately, a hit woman. Specializing in the elimination of busy-bodies from S.E.T.H."

"S.E.T.H?" echoed "Roger."

"Sizeloans for the Ethical Treatment of Humans. It's a group of human-rights activists, trying to get the human pet trade abolished on all four of the continents that make up the Sizeloan Commonwealth."

Venn's client incredulously shook his head, while pinching the bridge of his nose, with his left hand, at the same time.

"How do you know all this?" he finally asked.

"Simple. I'm the one who killed her boyfriend."

tbc