- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
WISHBONE'S RESTAURANT,
WASHINGTON, D.C.
(EARTH-DXM)
* * * * *

"Homeland Security!" shouted Agent 678: "Nobody move!"

A bald, thin Caucasian--about 6'3" tall--came running out of the manager's office.

"Who are you?" he demanded: "What's the meaning of this?"

"Mr. Yrac Cimoc? We're Agents Foster and Grant; Homeland Security. And, we'd like you to come with us."

"Quietly," added Agent 679.

"Not until I see your credentials," replied Cimoc.

"Certainly," chorused the two men. Whereupon, they flashed their badges. The ones shaped like golden lightbulbs.

Cimoc gasped: "I.D.E.E.A. men!"

The very next moment, he whipped out what most witnesses would later describe to local police as a bicycle headlamp. Only, this headlamp shot a beam of grayish-white light that the two strangers shielded themselves from...by opening up their Totes umbrellas in perfect unison.

Prompting Cimoc to flee the scene by liquefying himself into a silvery white blob and slithering between and past them!!

"A Morpher!" shouted the older agent: "After him!"

They chased after the fugitive (who had resumed humanoid form) at a rate of speed that would have made Huseyn Bolt look like a toddler. Heading northwestward, up Massachusetts Avenue, toward the intersection of North Capitol Street...and Union Station.

"If he gets into the subway system, we'll lose him," shouted Agent 679, without seeming to reduce his stamina.

But, that potential escape route was evidently the last thing on the fugitive's mind. For, the next moment, without even breaking stride, he raised his left arm. He then pressed both sides of what appeared to be a Rolex watch. After which, a veritable tornado of white light materialized out of thin air. The top of its funnel horizontally pointing towards Cimoc!

"He's activated a crosstime warp," shouted Agent 678, skidding to a stop: "Analyze frequency."

The younger man was already on it, holding his "umbrella" outward, in a vertical fashion. Just like his partner.

"Frequency analyzed...and matched!"

So, just as the Morpher dove through the crosstime warp in his naturally shapeless state, the two agents activated crosstime warps of their own. Subsequently appearing to melt into the sidewalk beneath their feet!

Two seconds later, all three "tornadoes" dissipated.

* * * * *

At that same moment, somewhere beneath the Pentagon, General Michaelsen of Delta Force was conversing, via satellite link, with Major Amanda Kendall in Kentucky.

"Say again, Major?"

"I said, sir, that the 'giantess' we captured...transmogrified."

Whereupon, she held up a hamster cage, containing a three-inch tall white man in late teens/early twenties!

"How is that possible?" the general in a bewildered half-whisper.

"We don't know, sir. On preliminary interrogation, the prisoner identified himself as one Bernard Pfeiffer-Drummond. And, that the last thing he remembers, prior to our capturing him, is participating in a role-playing board game called 'Sizecraft.' We've done some checking. And, it is a legitimate rpg. Released just this past Christmas by an outfit called Gray Fox Novelties. Which seems to be owned, in turn, by an off-shore corporation known as CTG Enterprises."

"I'll contact the Justice Department," declared Michaelsen: "See if some of their forensic accountants can dig up further information on that outfit."

"What about the prisoner, sir?"

"Bring him back here, ASAP. He might have been hypno-blocked. If so, our medics might be able to erode it."

"Will do, sir. Kendall; signing off."

* * * * *

485 MADISON AVENUE,
MANHATTAN, EARTH-MRG

If he had not been so preoccupied, "Roger William Maddox" might have noticed it sooner. Here it was, the middle of August. And, his cabbie was wearing a black leather jacket and a flat gray cap like it was late fall!

Trying not to arouse suspicion, as they came to a stop in front of the office building, Roger looked at the photo-registration of the cabbie while half-pretending to reach for his wallet.

"How much do I owe y...?"

He cut himself off when he saw the name on the registration.

"Venn, Raymond."

tbc