- Text Size +

The spider reared up on its hind legs, it was several metres tall and a good five or six metres long, a terrifying aberration. The Sergeant could see huge fangs beneath the enormous head. 

 

As soon as the screeching ended the Sergeant was up and slashing at the despicable creature with his sword.  

 

He heard the roar of his troop behind him. The Corporal had ordered them to charge the monster; presumably to save their Sergeant. 

 

Another volley of fire arrows, much more accurately aimed, thwacked into the spider again, causing little flashes of flame across its hairy body, abdomen and one struck an eye. 

 

The spider reared and squealed again in pain. 

 

A spear flew through the air and glanced off the huge body. 

 

The spider lunged towards the Sergeant, fangs snapping, but then his troop were with him, shoulder to shoulder. Shields up, guarding against the monster's strikes, the spiders legs pummelled the shield wall and it enabled the Sergeant to get a breather for a moment.  

 

The spider paused, it prodded the shields with the tips of its giant hairy legs, it tried to curl its long hairy legs around the tops of the shields, but the warriors stabbed at the legs and body with their spears, forcing it to squeal and withdraw slightly. 

 

Flaming torches were thrust towards the spider, forcing it back some more. It retreated away from the glow of the flame, skittering diagonally away, but it remained just outside the arc of light. 

 

The line of soldiers began to withdraw, stepping backwards, but maintaining their guard. 

 

Another volley of arrows were let loose, clattering into the spider and the surroundings. 

 

The spider spat and squealed in anger. 

 

From behind there were suddenly panicked shouts. 

 

The Sergeant swung to look, in dismay to see another giant spider had appeared on their right flank, its stripy beige and dark hairy body flashed in the light as it pounced onto a soldier and plunged its fangs into the poor soldier's chest, paralysing him. 

 

Before anyone could do anything the arachnid was dragging the paralysed soldier into the darkness. The last they saw of him was his metal helm rolling loose along the ground. 

 

The line of defence pivoted, they were well trained and seasoned warriors. Despite the fearsome creatures they knew how to work as a unit. As one they were stronger.  

 

A scream to the left flank spun the Sergeant around, a third giant spider dark red and sand colour had appeared and pounced onto two soldiers. The spiders were assaulting them from all sides. 

 

"Pull back, all round defence!" The Sergeant bellowed, as the two men were pinned down. 

 

The spider plunged its fangs into one of them, curled its long powerful legs around the other and spun it's huge silken web, swiftly turning the wriggling body and covering him in a web cocoon. 

 

Spearmen lunged towards the spider. It spat towards them, jerking forwards, causing them to hesitate; before it grabbed both of its prey and dragged them away, one of the soldiers was screaming as he was dragged away. 

 

"Light torches!" The Corporal ordered. "Fire the flare arrow!" He demanded. A particularly bright arrow was let loose straight into the sky. A moment later a horn bellowed from the distance, from the flagship of the flotilla of ships in the bay.

Chapter End Notes:

Check out my site for more of this story and others like it, or to show me your support. I welcome your feedback:
https://subscribestar.adult/richardchdavies - note you can join this any time of the month and get a full month subscription