- Text Size +

Tales of Myth and Legend

 

Chapter 5 – The Tale of Medusa – Part 2

 

By Richard C.H. Davies

 

Warning this story contains: Giantess witch, fantasy fiction, Shrunken Man, giantess, kidnap, giant woman lick, soft vore, naked giantess, chase, hard vore, giant spiders, handheld, taunting, entrapment, warfare and action

 

Those at the rear of the troop might have seen a faint set of lights on the flagship as the master brazier was lit; the single catapult of the flotilla was being prepared for battle. 

 

The Sergeant was withdrawing with his men, keeping the middle spider at bay, the other wings of their flanks were very promptly swinging inwards, moving away from the flanking spiders which reappeared again for more prey. 

 

Then the soldiers reached the outer defences of the main troop and withdrew back inside their ranks to bolster the hastily prepared defences. They were digging and embedding the butt ends of their spears into the ground, and diagonally pointing the sharp ends outwards, to create makeshift fortifications. It worked well against horses, but giant spiders… that was anyone's guess. 

 

"Fire," the Sergeant called back, "Fire seems to work," 

 

A loud horn was blown from the middle of their troop, directed as a signal towards the flagship down in the bay below, and another flare arrow was launched upwards above the central spider. 

 

A volley of fire arrows unveiled the spiders with a flash of light. They were slowly approaching the line of defences, the flash of light caused them to skitter sideways slightly. 

 

They were jumpy, but already getting used to light and flame. 

 

A whooshing sound above them caused the troop to snap their heads upwards. 

 

A cheer broke out as they saw the first fireball soaring through the air from the ship mounted catapult. 

 

The ball of flame burst against a tree not too far in front of them, spilling the contents of oil and fire, spreading across the branch of the tree, and creating quite a flash of fire. 

 

The spiders shrieked in shock and surprise and immediately jumped away from the source of light.  

 

"Not a half bad shot!" The Sergeant called back to the Corporal. "Again!" 

 

The horn was blared and another flare arrow let loose, a few marks angled over from the last.  

 

The soldiers remained firm as the spiders edged around the arc of light cast by the burning tree. They skittered around it; their huge legs carried their colossal weight as they charged the defences. 

 

A loud whoosh from above and a fireball arced overhead, this one wasn't aimed so well and thumped too many marks away to be of any use. It set another tree ablaze further away.  

 

The horn blew again, with urgency. More fireballs demanded. 

 

The spiders had summoned enough courage. 

 

They charged the troop. 

 

The first two spiders attacked at the sides in a pincer movement. 

 

"They're coordinated!" Perseus shouted out in shock. 

 

"Aim spears at their eyes and let loose arrows, fire at will," the Sergeant picked up a spear which was embedded behind the defence wall, ready for use. 

 

The Sergeant saw a number of spears thrown, and bouncing away from the hard body of the spiders.

 

One of the men overextended themselves and exposed themselves outside of the shield wall, just for an instant. It was enough, one of the spiders plucked him away from his comrades. He was lifted up, shouting and swearing, swiping with his sword. 

 

The spider scurried off with the shouting soldier into darkness. 

 

The Sergeant focused on the middle spider drew his arm back, settled the spear, aiming at the spider. 

 

He held his aim and threw the spear. 

 

There was an almighty squeal from the spider, when his spear made contact, the tip of his spear pierced through the centre of the cluster of eyes. 

 

The other two spiders seemed angered by this and they charged with abandon. They lunged straight into the spear wall, but it didn't perturb them, they seemed to nimbly weave their way through the sharp spears, despite their relative large sizes. 

 

The spiders crashed into the locked shield wall next. Men groaned as they strained under the weight of the creatures. Hairy legs prodded and searched for weaknesses in the defences. 

 

Another man was plucked up from the defensive line and tossed aside by the spider. He was heard screaming as he was dragged away. 

 

The spiders were organised and determined; they were working as a team just like the soldier troop was. 

 

A whoosh of a fireball soared overhead, a lucky aim Indeed, because it burst straight on top of the distressed spider, with the Sergeant's spear in its eyes; dousing it in oil and flame. 

 

The giant spider let out an almighty screech, causing men to cover their ears.

 

The men defending against the spiders had no such luxury. They roared in pain under the several tonnes of weight the spiders brought to bear. 

 

The far side of the defensive circle thinned out, soldiers crossed to defend their fellows, bravely wading in to stab and swipe at the hairy legs which swung this way and that. 

 

A soldier was squirted with a silken stream from the spider's rear spinnerets. He shouted out in horror as it pinned his arms to his chest. 

 

Two fellow soldiers helped to cut him loose with their dirks before he could be plucked up and dragged away. They fended off the hairy legs of the spider with their weapons and shields. 

 

Flaming torches were stabbed at the spiders, the troop had recovered from the disarray of their defensive wall. They surrounded the two spiders, thrusting at them with sword, spear, and flaming torches. 

 

The spiders squealed in frustration, their fangs not long enough to reach their quarries. 

 

They struck out with their sharp legs, denting shields and sending men flying in all directions. 

 

Several more men were plucked up and stolen away by the monstrous creatures, sucked away into the darkness of the wood. 

 

Each time a man was taken the soldiers grit their teeth, tightened their defences even more, linking their shields and digging their sandals into the soil. They had to stick together, literally. These incredibly strong spiders could toss a muscular soldier into the air with no effort. 

Chapter End Notes:

Check out my site for more of this story and others like it, or to show me your support. I welcome your feedback:
https://subscribestar.adult/richardchdavies - note you can join this any time of the month and get a full month subscription