- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Nathalie gets a lucky break...?

——————————

I have to admit, the incident at the park really demoralized me. It was only after Ranger Tom called to reassure me that no animals had been hurt, that I began to feel better. He was so kind, unlike my other employers. I know that if it had been up to him, he would have given me a second chance. Sadly, I can never be so lucky.


Three jobs, three accidents. My track record was pretty miserable. Others might have called it quits and booked a flight back home. I was not going to do that. I had no doubt my mother would have helped me out financially if she knew what I had been through. She was always sweet like that. I did not want to, though. It was no longer because I was ashamed, or because I did not want to seem a failure. It was because I was determined to make things work! Money aside, I had decided that I wanted to work in Lilliputia. I wanted to prove that I could do it.


Hopping back on my laptop, I brought up the same tab that had been open all week. I searched for job listings, just as I had before, but this time I made a change. I did not simply search for Gulli jobs, I added some more criteria. I even removed the filter for minimum salary. As expected, there were much more options to look through. I sifted through them for the next two hours, creating a list of candidates. Working through that list, I eliminated any job that I felt lended itself to accidents.


"Fisherman? No, I'd somehow sink the ship..."


Next.


"Trucker? I guess I could carry the truck, but I don't want anything to do with vehicles..."


Next.


"Farmer? Last time I was on a farm, I accidentally set the animals free..."


This went on until there was only a single job left on my list.


"Advertisement. Hmm... Like, the modelling kind?" I said, as I clicked on the listing. More details appeared, which began to give me hope. "Okay... Okay... Yeah, this could work! I think it's the one."


The only weird part was that they asked me for a full-body picture of myself, along with my application. I found it strange, but I was not going to let something so trivial stop me. I found a year-old picture of me and some friends, cropped them out, and sent it with my application. Satisfied, I shut my laptop and put it away. I was tired, and no one would respond to me so late in the night, so I decided to get ready for bed. I was asleep seconds after my head hit the pillow. 


Next morning, the first thing I did was check the job website. I had landed the job! It seemed that for things this simple, there was no need for an interview. Honestly, all this needed was a warm body in a chair, so to speak. The money was not great, but since it was a Gulli-only job, it was not terrible either. Such is the power of foreign currency! I checked my email, where I found information from my employer. It was not long. Basically, it outlined the working hours, where and when to meet, that they would send me a uniform, and the company slogan. I will spare you the details of how I spent the next two days. Nothing of note happened. I passed the time by making friends with my neighbors and doing chores. Anything to get my mind off my current career predicament.


The morning of my first day started off like any other. I woke up early, showered, and ate a light breakfast. Nothing out of the ordinary. I opened up the package they had sent me, only to find what looked to be two pieces of latex. I held them out, trying to make sense of them. My face went red with embarrassment when I realized that they were my 'uniform'. They were skimpy as hell! Things I would not be caught dead in. Reluctantly, I changed into them. Standing in front of my mirror, I checked myself out. The material had stretched, so it was not as skimpy as I had first thought. However, stretchy as it was, it still clung too tightly in all the wrong areas. 


I will not be providing further details.


"It's okay! It's okay... It's for the paycheck. I can discuss a less revealing uniform when I get there..."


I tugged at the material on my butt, just barely able to cover it with what I had been given. Without thinking about it too much, I left my home and walked over to the nearby Lilli city. It took less than a minute to get there, but it felt way longer. Despite keeping my gaze forward, I could feel the little citizens' eyes on me. I could not blame them, either. A giant girl dressed the way I am... It made sense. If it happened back home, I probably would have done the same to some poor, scantily-clad Brob. As I arrived at my designated meeting spot, the corner of a busy street, I quickly located a man standing on the top of a nearby building. He was waving at me, clearly trying to get my attention. I walked over and crouched just enough to bring my face down to his level.


"Hi there! You must be Mr. G?" I asked, only then able to make out the details. He was a short, pudgy man dressed in a cheap suit and dress pants. The bulge of his belly was putting visible strain on the bottom button. In the moment, I remember assuming he was a common pervert, but I would later be proven wrong. He was a really nice guy, though, I would not realize it until later that day.


"Ayy! Natty! Glad you could be here." He whistled, briefly glancing at my chest and grinning. "You look great. The uniform suits you!"


"Umm, about that... I feel like it's a little revealing, don't you?" I instinctively brought my arm up to cover my chest. At least from his view.


"Oh, don't be like that! It's all part of the brand!" He spread his arms out, walking toward a billboard on the same building. It read, 'G-Man's Fine Dining'. It was a bold statement, given how his 'restaurant' was basically just slight above average fast food. Greasy, unhealthy, and definitely not 'fine dining'. Obviously, I did not comment. "You're the key to attracting customers."


"I guess, but can't I do that while I'm fully dressed?" I asked, trying oh, so hard to show him how uncomfortable I was. I hoped he would understand. "We're selling food, not...well, me." I gestured to my tight-fitting clothes with a frown on my face.


"Let me level with you, Natty. Come closer." He beckoned me. I leaned a little closer, coming to rest my chin on the roof of the building. I could see him better now, especially the smug smile on his face, like he knew something I did not. "There's a reason I hired you. A young woman, big and pretty. The guys'll come for you, but stay for the food. You get me?"


I sighed, choosing to do as I was told rather than argue. Embarrassing at it was, I convinced myself it was okay since I did not know anyone here. This was not my city, let alone my country. Once I had enough money, or found a job I was actually qualified for, I would go home and forget all about this place. Hopefully I do not make Lilliputia sound terrible. It really is a gorgeous place! It just...was not for me.


"O-Okay. I'll do it." I nodded, committing to the job. "Let's make some money, Mr. G!"


"That's the spirit! I know you'll do great." He gave me a thumbs up and winked. It made me nauseous, but I forced an awkward smile. I could not see his eyes, but I could certainly feel them on me. He then gestured to the billboard once more. "That's your sign. All you gotta do is hold it. Maybe spin it a few times! Easy money, amiright?"


"You're right." I said, grabbing it. With just a slight tug, it came loose from its supports and I brought it closer. I stepped back and attempted a flip, just to get his reaction. "Like this?"


"Perfect! Amazing, even!" He clapped for me. "You're a natural! A Nat-tural! Hah!" He laughed at his own joke, before disappearing down the stairs. 


I turned to face the street, only now realizing that many people were staring at me. I chose to take it in stride, waving back and even giving a flirty wink. When I said I was committing to the job, I meant it! If I was to be the 'eye-candy' that helped Mr. G's business, then I would be the best ever. The only way I could possibly fail was if I gave up. Standing there, spinning my sign, and forcing a smile--it was so easy. And yes, I made sure to keep a good grip on the sign at all times. What? Were you expecting me to drop it into the busy street? Of course not. I knew better, and I knew how bad my luck was. I would not let it happen!


The rest of the day went by slowly. It was really, really boring. I do not even want to remember how many times I flipped that sign. The sun beat down on me, but thankfully, my outfit kept me cool. There was a silver lining, after all. Every so often, I would pick a car at random and make up a story about where the driver could be going. It was a good time-waster. The only thing of note that happened was the crowd that began to form across from me. Lots of people, gawking, taking pictures, and trying to get my attention. I did not mind in the slightest. That was why they hired me, right? A job is a job. In fact, I went all-in and decided to try something. 


I stared at the group, no one person in particular, so that they all felt that I was looking at them specifically. I gave them a smile and beckoned them closer with a finger. As if they were under a spell, I watched the group cross the street and gather at my feet. Without a word, I then gestured to the restaurant's entrance using the sign, and blew them a kiss. That was all it took. The entire crowd then rushed into the place and disappeared. For the next few hours, I repeated this, creating a steady stream of customers. It got to the point where they began lining up outside! My fake smile transformed into a genuine one, and I enjoyed a sense of accomplishment. 


"Not bad, 'Natty'. Not bad." I whispered to myself.


Before I knew it, my shift had ended. It was good timing, since my legs were beginning to tire. I carefully placed the sign down on the roof, face down, as not to risk it falling. Again, I was not sure if those support beams would hold it. I was not about to take a risk. I looked around, doing one, final check on my surroundings. There were no holes to trip over, buildings to topple, or anything remotely problematic. For once...everything looked good.


I was about to head home when I suddenly heard Mr. G's voice yelling my name. He emerged from the door, appearing on the roof next to me.


"Natty! Don't you take another step!" He huffed and puffed, stomping over across the rooftop. He moved toward me just as I was about to walk home. He pointed a finger at me accusatorily, practically barking. "We need to talk!"


"Yes?" I turned and crouched, genuinely confused by his reaction. "I'm right here, sir. What's the matter?"


I could tell that he was distressed. What I had assumed to be anger was in actuality, panic. Maybe even dread.


"I can't believe this! So many customers, but things have never been worse!" He yelled, though, not at me. "It's all ruined. I'm done for..."


He looked for the nearest thing to lean on, but found nothing. I think he was trying to perform a dramatic 'fall', but it only looked silly. The man fell down on his butt and sat there, legs outstretched. He pulled out a handkerchief and began dabbing at his forehead. His skin looked clammy, and he looked positively pitiful.


"Mr. G..." I began, worried I might set him off. "I don't understand. Would you please tell me what happened?"


He looked at me, his eyes defeated, and sighed. "The reviews, Natty. Just...look them up yourself!" He groaned.


Curious, I pulled out my phone and looked up his restaurant. I soon realized the problem. This morning, there had been four reviews, averaging four-point-five stars overall. Probably friends or family, let's be honest. Now, there were over three hundred, but the average was an abysmal one-point-six. Skimming through, I found all kinds of negative and nasty comments. They were varied, but a couple shared a common theme: the food. Bland, disgusting, and basic, were just a few of the mean things the customers had written. I mean, what did they expect? The food was meant to be cheap and unhealthy, but tasty! At least, that was what I was told the other day. They felt it was false advertising and disingenuous. 


Reading through some more, I found a bunch talking about me. No, not a bunch, a truckload! Way more than the comments about the food. One read, 'Why go in when the giant girl outside is a whole snack'. Another went, 'Just order from the place across the street and you'll have a view of the giant babe'. The others were basically the same, just with different wording. It seemed that people were getting very distracted by me. So much so, that the business was suffering for it. Clearly, Mr. G had not seen these. Had he only read the first five? I was not sure if I should bring them up.


"These are awfully harsh. Way too mean, and honestly kind of rude!" I complained, hoping to make my boss feel better. And admittedly, to put the focus on the food issue.


"I know, right! I worked on that menu for months! Do you know how long it takes to perfect a recipe? How much time it took?" He buried his face into his hands, on the verge of sobbing.


"I don't, but I can tell it was really hard!" I tried, moving a finger to stroke his back. I wanted to console him, somehow. I was not sure how. "Could it have been a bad batch?"


"No way. I always source my ingredients from the best of the best! Freshness matters. But clearly not to them!" He complained, sniffling. "I don't know how I'm going to recover."


At that point, the guilt inside me was growing. Not only had I misjudged the man, I was letting him believe that his food was to blame! It felt wrong. It felt so wrong! Despite the voice in my head screaming and begging for me to keep my big mouth shut, my conscience would not let me. I had been hired to help improve his business, not to kill it. 


"Mr. G, I think you might be missing the actual problem here." I told him, which immediately grabbed his attention. He wiped his face on his sleeve and gave me his full attention. Again, I considered shutting up, but simply could not. "I think the problem here...is me."


"Nonsense! You're doing great!" He encouraged me, completely rejecting the notion. "It's not your fault Natty."


"Actually, it is..." I sighed, turning my phone screen to show him. I scrolled through the reviews, showing him what he had missed. It soon became clear to him that I was right. "I'm really sorry. I think this whole 'Gulli girl advertising' thing backfired."


I brace myself for those two, terrible words, but they did not come. Instead, my boss told me something that I had never heard before.


"It's okay." He shrugged. "Don't worry about it. There's always tomorrow."


"E-Excuse me?" I blinked, stunned and in disbelief. "What did you say?"


"I said there's always tomorrow." He half-smiled. "Probably just a bad batch, like you said!"


I stood there, unsure of what to do. On one hand, I was over the moon. Not only was he not blaming me, he wanted me to come back the next day! On the other, I felt incredibly guilty. There was no doubt in my mind that I was the problem. Simply put, I was too distracting! Honestly, I think that would be the same even if I wore a different outfit. It was too late--I had already been seen once. My image would soon become the face of his business, and that could spell the end of it. I knew what I had to do, and it killed me to go through with it.


"No, boss, you're wrong." I told him, sadly. I could not believe I was doing this. "I'm the problem here. I appreciate that you are giving me a second chance, but I am not willing to kill your business."


"Natty, I told you it's fine-" He tried, but I cut him off.


"No, it's not. And I'm sure you'll understand soon, when things go back to normal." I explained, going into some more detail.


Suddenly, his expression changed to pure optimism. "Alright, fine. Yes, you've done your job a little too well. But that's okay!"


"How long will it be okay for? With all due respect, sir, I don't plan on working here forever." I told him, matter-of-factly. "Let's be real here, they're coming for me, not the food. What will happen when I go? You'll lose all your customers!"


He squinted at me, a smile creeping across his face. An impressed one, for once. 


"I see how it is... Alright Natty, you drive a hard bargain! You'll make a great businesswoman someday, but for now, how about a raise? I'll double your pay, starting tomorrow!"


I stared at him in disbelief. Was this man right in the head? Was he not hearing me clearly? His offer was amazing, don't get me wrong! I was even tempted to take it. Clearly, he liked me, and the feeling was mutual. But that was precisely why I was trying to help him! 


"N-No, I can't accept that. Listen, it will be best for both of us if-"


It was his turn to cut me off this time, as he blurted out another offer. "Okay! Three times the pay, and I'll make you a special Natty-sized dish once a month for free. Final offer!"


I wanted to scream. He was so insufferably dense! And so kind! He was the boss I had always wanted, and I wanted so badly to just say yes. It was one word! One syllable! A silent nod would have been enough! But my stupid sense of right and wrong had to get in the way. I remember physically trembling as I spoke, fighting every fiber of my being as I did so.


"Sir, I hope you know how much I appreciate your offer, and I honestly wish you the very best in the future. I would love to try that dish sometime, but I'll be paying for it...as a customer."


"Why, Natty?" He asked, surprised by my answer.


"Because... I quit."

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading! Don't hesitate to leave a review, or several, if you want. If you have an idea you'd like to see happen in the story, feel free to share it! I love interacting with my readers, and I will do my best to respond to you.


I've decided to launch a Patreon where supporters can gain access to chapters early. Chapter uploads are weekly. If you are eager to see what's next or just a fan of my work please consider checking it out! https://www.patreon.com/user?u=79288680