- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Nathalie tries something new…again!

——————————

The walk home from the beach was humiliating. I did not exactly have a chance to change back, so I simply left in shame, sandy and dripping wet. Once again, all eyes were on me, and for all the worst reasons. I decided to change back once I was far enough from the coast, but not before most of the town got a look at my sandy, unemployed butt.


Life in Lilliputia was not looking good for me. In just one week I had lost two jobs and caused a lot of damage. In my defense, I had done what I had been hired to do both times. I successfully demolished the building and managed to save a drowning child. I was not totally useless! Even so, I understood why I had been fired each time. I could not find it in me to be angry at Mr. Luther, nor Leslie. There were more important matters to attend to, like finding a new job. My funds were not depleted just yet, but I was getting there. If I spent on anything other than bills or food, I would be broke within three days.


"Only the absolute essentials! I have to make do." I went over to power on my laptop, only for my phone to ring. I glanced over to it, seeing an unknown number. Despite that, I had a feeling what it would be about. "Deja vu..."


I picked it up and answered. "Hello?"


"Yoooo! I'm calling on behalf of AquaMarina. Are you Nathalie?" A man with a heavy surfer-dude accent asked me.


"I am..." I answered, fearful about where this might be going.


"Right on! So, yesterday was a bummer, but don't worry about it! The Marina wants you to know that everything's cool, dude." He explained, as if we we were close friends. "Your paycheck is gonna go to cleaning up the beach, and stuff. That wave you made was gnarly!"


"I understand. Sorry, again..." I cringed. "I'm still fired, aren't I?"


"Totally! But it's all good! We wish you luck, dude. See you when we see you!"


He hung up, leaving me to my thoughts. I was shocked that I had gotten away without any real repercussions. Rather than look a gift horse in the mouth, I decided to move on. I desperately needed a new job.


Unlike before, I was not able to find my next job quickly. I spent that entire afternoon browsing, but came up with nothing. The next morning was no better. I was applying, but no one was calling back. A part of me began to dread why that could be. Was it my reputation? Was I being viewed as a liability? I was not sure. It took until the following evening to find a single relevant listing. I jumped on it the moment I saw it.


"Assistant Park Ranger needed. No experience required."


Again, it was not relevant to my degree, but I was no going to let the opportunity pass me by. I applied, did the interview the following day, and was hired. The job was simple. I would report to the Lilli National Park and work closely with one of their park rangers. They simply needed a Gulli around, regardless of training or credentials. It was the summer, and the drought was causing frequent fires. I was big, and that gave me a bunch of advantages. A better perspective, and a lot of strength to carry water buckets. After saving the young boy the other day, I found a new appreciation for these types of jobs. The ones where you can make a real difference, not just making money for some corporation.


I expected to have to watch training videos, but they asked that I report to the park immediately. Waking up bright and early, putting my best foot forward, I did exactly that.


The park was a short walk from the city, in the south eastern direction. I left my home midday, dressed in a pair of jeans, a plaid button-down shirt, and most importantly, my hiking boots. I would need them if I was to be out and about. I also had a 'tool belt' with various items that they had sent me. It only took me ten minutes before I began to see thick woodland. The area was untouched by man, apart from a few watch towers around the area. It was beautiful! The air was fresh and the scenery was like something from a postcard. Knowing better than to wander aimlessly, I sought out the only man-made thing around. In the distance, near the base of the mountain, was a large log cabin. I figured that would be the best place to visit first.


I walked over to the cabin, finding a group of park rangers chatting outside. They looked to be on a lunch break. Their little heads turned to look up at me as I approached, one even whistling in surprise.


"Hi there! I'm Nathalie, the new hire. Is Ranger Tom around?" I asked them.


"That would be me." A tall and lanky man said as he stood up. He was dressed in a uniform and hat. "Nice to meet you, Nathalie! You're a little early."


"Yeah, I was just excited. I wanted to make a good impression, and all."


"I like your spirit!" He nods, enthusiastically. "Let's get started then. Grab the bucket and keep it close. Then, would you mind giving me a lift?"


It was not often that I physically touched a Lilli. I had only ever done so once before. There was an unspoken rule that the larger races should not suddenly grab or move the smaller ones without consent. Just as I would not want to be touched without consenting first. The fact that Ranger Tom wanted to be carried was surprising. I was not against it, quickly squatting down and offering my palm as a lift. He stepped on and I raised him up as I stood. He was very light in my palm, no heavier than a coin. He must have done this before, since he did not seem scared at all, especially so high up.


He explained that carrying him would be faster. It also provided him a better view of the landscape--the view only us Gullis have. I went where he told me, following the trail. I did not need to watch my step as carefully as the park was currently closed to the public due to the fire situation. Any animal that heard me coming would clear out of the way long before I even got close. I must have been extremely nervous, since her reassured me that I was doing fine several times. Maybe he was just a kind man? He was definitely friendlier than my previous two employers, even after my third screw up.


I am getting ahead of myself. Back to the events of that day...


Ranger Tom talked and I listened. He told me about the park, its history, and the issues they had been facing recently. Apparently, there had been issues with poachers even before the fires started. My eyes glanced the gun on his hip. Something told me he knew how to use it. He went on to tell me all about the animals that resided there, and I began to see just how much he loved nature. It made me want to protect that place too. I asked him some questions, which he was happy to answer. He told me about fire safety, hazards, and how to deal with bears and other predators. Despite being there simply to earn a paycheck, I ended up learning a lot!


"Do you see that? Looks like trouble." He told me pointing to an area in the distance. There was a small amount of smoke coming from the trees. He called it in on his radio device, saying a code that I did not understand. "Head to the river and fill up. We're going to need as much water as you can carry."


"Yes, sir!" I said, hurrying to the river. I knelt down by the bank and put the bucket in the path of the flow. It quickly filled up, even catching some fish, but there was nothing I could do about that. "Is this good?"


"Perfect. Now get us over to the site." He instructed me.


I stood up, suddenly feeling a strain in my arm as I lifted the bucket. It was heavy! I was strong enough to carry it, but it hurt my hand. The thin, metal handle dug into it painfully. I did not want to complain on my first day, so I stayed quiet and hurried over. By the time we got there, the first had spread substantially. Several trees were ablaze, and the smoke was getting thicker. 


"Dead flora tend to catch fire easily. The dryness and heat make them a hazard, as you can see." He explains, calmly. "This looks bad, but it's not. It would have been, if you weren't here. Put it out now, before it spreads any further. Can you do that for me, Nathalie?"


"Of course! Um, just let me move you..." I raised him to my shoulder and allowed him to transfer to it. He moved over to my neck placed a hand on it for support as I moved. "I'm going to need both hands for this. Sorry."


"No problem at all." He reassures me. "Do what you need to." 


Lifting the bucket up, I aimed for the center of the area and dumped half my bucket out. The torrents of water flooded the area, extinguishing almost all the flames. I used what remained to splash any areas where I think a fire could start again. The smoke soon cleared, and all that was left was a relatively small, blackened area.


"It's a little sad." I frowned, looking at the scene.


"You mean the ash?" Ranger Tom assumed, which I confirmed with a silent nod. "Not at all. The ash helps nourish the soil so new trees can grow. This area will be full of life again soon."


"Seriously?" I gasped.


"Absolutely. You've done good, newbie. Be proud of yourself." He smiles.


I know that his words were not anything out of the ordinary. He was simply trying to be nice. Still, they meant a lot to me. I really appreciated them! "Th-Thank you... I'm trying really hard!"


The two of us continued to patrol the area, putting out two more small fires before the end of my first day. It was easy to do, and I enjoyed the praise I was getting. Other than that, the day was relatively calm. The sun began to set, and soon it was dark. I reached into my belt and pulled out my flashlight. It was very strong, shining a beam that went on and on. There was no option to lower the power, just a switch to turn it on and off. I kept it forward, worried about shining it at Ranger Tom. Such a bright light could blind him! I was probably overthinking things, but I wanted to be extra safe.


My 'shift' was essentially Ranger Tom's. I was to be around whenever he was. He told me that we would start at noon and end at midnight. I found those times odd, but did not comment. Checking my watch, I saw that it was half past ten. No incidents yet, and with the sun down, the likelihood of more fires was very low. All I had to do was not screw up, and I would be in the clear! Maybe I could even make it to my second day? That would be incredible.


Looking back, I probably could have ignored what I heard. I could have gone home and had a good night's sleep, but I just had to open my big mouth... On a more serious note, I know there was no ignoring it. I would rather suffer termination than willfully neglect a crime. As we were walking through the woods, I suddenly heard a bang in the distance. It was quiet, something only I could hear. I glanced over at Ranger Tom, but he had no reaction.


"Did you hear that?" I asked, looking in the direction of the sound.


"Hear what?" He raised a brow at me.


"I thought I heard a gunshot. It was quiet, but it came from over there." I pointed for him to see.


"Hmm. If you think you heard something, then I trust you. Let's go check it out." He instructs me. "But be careful."


As quietly as someone of my size can be, I began moving toward the source of the sound. As we approached, I began to see small beams of light coming from flashlights. Then we heard another bang. It was at that point that Ranger Tom drew his weapon. He whispered to me, keeping his voice low.


"Stay calm. They're poachers." He told me; his tone very serious. "It's just you and me, so do exactly as I say."


"Understood. What's the plan?"


"Approach quickly, and let me do the talking. Most of the time, they don't fight. When they try to run, that will be your chance to grab them."


"Am I allowed to do that? To just...grab Lillis?" I asked, nervously.


"They're committing a misdemeanor, but if they're the same ones from before, meaning it's a repeat offense, then this is a felony." He explained. "We can use lethal force if they resist, but all I am asking is for you to apprehend them."


"Okay... I can do that." I nodded.


"Alright. I believe in you, Nathalie. You can do this." 


I took three long steps forward, which closed the distance between us in an instant. Shining my light in their direction revealed four men with hunting rifles. They were loading deer and other game into the back of their pickup. The moment they saw me, they began to panic. 


"You are trespassing on protected land. Poaching endangered species is a felony. The lot of you are under arrest. Do not resist, or I am authorized to use lethal force!" He warned them.


Without any hesitation, the men trained their guns on Ranger Tom. A gesture that made it clear that they were not afraid. Before they could fire, I dropped my flashlight and shielded him with my hand. A precaution, which only made them turn their guns on me instead.


"No! Wait, don't!" I cried out, as they fired. I remained still, waiting for the pain to set in, but it did not. With great worry, I opened my eyes and glanced down at my legs. Several bullets had hit me, but not once even broke the skin. It was only then that I remembered that, in this land, I am a mighty giantess. Lilli bullets can't hurt me! I gave them the smuggest smile and carefully tucked Ranger Tom into my breast pocket. "Hmph. Not so tough now, huh?"


I reached a hand out, receiving some more harmless shots against my skin, before I managed to grab two of them. I kept them in my fist and gave them a painful, but ultimately harmless squeeze. That was enough to get them to stop moving. Another hopped into their truck to drive away. He must have thought that he could leave his buddies and escape while I was distracted. I would not let that happen!


I dropped the two incapacitated poachers onto the ground and grabbed the truck, effortlessly lifting it into the air, like a toy. I brought it up to my face, allowing the terrified little man to see my carefully planned 'pissed off giantess' face. I began to squeeze, crunching the metal of his car into a wreck. I was slow, making sure not to actually hurt him. He jumped out to escape, only to fall into my other, waiting hand. I gave him a similar squeeze to pacify him, and then placed him next to the other two. There was only one left, who was frozen in place, staring at me with wide eyes. He made a high-pitched sound, and promptly fainted. It took all I had not to laugh! I gather the four of them up and presented them to Ranger Tom proudly, who had been watching from the safety of my pocket. I had caught them without taking a single life! Nor drawing blood, either!


"Sorry, Ranger Tom! I didn't mean to treat you like that. I just needed both hands." I gave him my most apologetic face. "Are you hurt?"


"Not a scratch on me, thanks to you! Thank you for protecting me, Nathalie. If not for you, this could have gone a whole lot worse." He then turned his attention to the men. "As for these guys, we'll leave them with my boys. They'll handle the rest."


"Alright." I told him, suddenly becoming somber. "Those poor animals, though..."


The two of us looked at the half-wrecked truck with dead game in the back. It was tragic. Those poor things were hunted simply for their hides. There were only a handful left to begin with.


"I know what you mean. We will have to tighten security around here. That's all we can do."


The two of us returned to the cabin and delivered the poachers. I was feeling both proud and guilty over what had happened. I suppose it was the best-case scenario, but I still felt bad. Ranger Tom told the others what happened, earning me lots of praise from the others. That was a great feeling, I still remember it fondly. Anyway, I was about ready to head home. And I actually did! It is so ironic... If only I had stayed just a few minutes longer, I could have avoided a disaster and kept my job.


Later than night, after returning home, I turned on the TV to check the news. All channels in the country were covering the same story. 


"Lilli National Park Ablaze!"


I was in disbelief. I had literally been gone for an hour and a half! Two, at most! What could have happened? It was only then that one of the park rangers came on to explain. Apparently, the crushed truck from earlier had begun to leak gasoline. The damaged vehicle then caught fire when a huge flashlight heated the spill to the point of ignition. 


"N-No way..." I muttered, as I checked for it on my belt. It was nowhere to be found.


What started as a very small forest fire quickly spread to the surrounding area. A news helicopter showed the scene from above. The fires were huge, far larger than any we had dealt with during the day! I considered running back over to help, but it seemed to be under control. My phone then rang, which I quickly answered. The number was vaguely similar to Ranger Tom's, so I assumed it was him.


"Ranger Tom! Is everything alright over there? I can't believe what I'm seeing on the news!"


"This is Ranger Weston." An unfamiliar voice responded. "And no, things are far from okay. The damage is massive. We only just put it out, no thanks to you."


"I'm so sorry." I told him. "Is there anything I can do to help tomorrow?"


"I'm afraid not. Nor the day after, nor the one after that." The man said, a hint of anger in his voice. "Nathalie, is it true that you damaged the truck that leaked? I assume the flashlight was yours."


"Yes, I did, and that is also mine. But I had to-" I tried, already knowing where this conversation was going.


"I have heard enough." The man says, without a hint of compassion. "The park will not be requiring your services any longer."


"Sir, please have a heart! I was caught up handling the poachers!" I pleaded, becoming angry at what I felt was an extreme injustice. He would not even hear me out! "Just ask Ranger Tom. He will vouch for me!"


I should have known that no matter what I said, the result would remain the same. The man had already made up his mind.


"You're fired!"

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading! Don't hesitate to leave a review, or several, if you want. If you have an idea you'd like to see happen in the story, feel free to share it! I love interacting with my readers, and I will do my best to respond to you.


I've decided to launch a Patreon where supporters can gain access to chapters early. Chapter uploads are weekly. If you are eager to see what's next or just a fan of my work please consider checking it out! https://www.patreon.com/user?u=79288680