- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Nathalie tries something new…

——————————

After the disaster with the demolitions company, I was about ready to pack my things and head home. If I didn't leave on my own, I figured they had every right to exile me. Do they still exile people? Oh, whatever. The point is, I was feeling terrible, and even worse about the repercussions of my accident. Would I be fined for the damages? Would I be locked up? I was already thinking about finding a lawyer, when I got a call from them. It went a little something like this:


"Good afternoon. This is Martha from DemoLilli. Am I speaking with Ms. Nathalie?" 


"Yes, it is. Um, how can I help you?"


"I am calling regarding the accident you were a part of earlier today."


"Listen, I am so, so, sorry-"


"An internal investigation found that a Mr. Luther startled you, causing you to fall. Is that correct?"


"Um...I guess so? But I was still the one who fell..."


"The Gulli labor laws in our nation take into account your stature. Accidents are proportionally devastating to your size, which is not something you are responsible for."


"Oh. I see."


"On behalf of the company I would like you to know that we will not be pressing charges. All damages will be deducted from your paycheck. The accident was deemed to be the fault of your supervisor, since the hole you stepped in was supposed to be finished two days prior. We appreciate your work and wish you luck in seeking new employment."


"That is a relief. Wait, so I'm still fired?"


"Naturally."


The woman then asked me if I had any questions before hanging up. I will be upfront about this. I sat there for at least ten minutes, processing what I'd heard. The shock was too much. It had been a crazy day, and I was not quite...prepared for it. While I wanted nothing more than to collapse on my bed and sleep the pain away, I knew that I needed to find no work. I was certain the 'deduction' they spoke of was basically meant I was not going to be paid. That left me in the same financial nightmare as before, no progress made. I would need money, and that meant I would need a new job.


I opened up my laptop to the same site from before, looking for Gulli work in Lilliputia. It occurred to me that, despite there being no repercussions for my accident, I might have totally ruined my reputation. Who would want to hire the clumsy idiot who sat on a building? Well, as luck would have it, my face was so dusty that no one got a good look. Of course, the workers who knew my face quickly spread the word, but the company's stance on the matter absolved me of guilt. They made it clear that it was not my fault, probably to maintain the image of intersize cooperation in the country or something. I essentially had a blank slate, which is why I was able to find a new job fairly quickly.


"Gulli lifeguard wanted. Must be a strong swimmer. Hours flexible."


It sounded reasonable. Not related to my degree, but reasonable! I would take that, or anything, at really. I was at a really low point. I applied for the job, did another interview, and then got hired. It was a smooth process, all things considered. I was to report to the north coast of the island nation later this week. Thankfully, that is only an hour drive away, or in Gulli terms, a half-hour walk. A red, one-piece with the company's logo would be sent to me the following day. And so, I passed the time by calling home, doing chores, and studying the mandatory first aid course they sent me.


Like before, I left home bright and early. I had changed into my swimsuit and worn everyday clothes over them. As soon as you left civilization, the need for 'Gulli zones' decreased. So long as I watched where I stepped, I could move about more comfortable. I used the map on my phone to take me there, walking parallel to one of the major highways. That part of the nation was mostly desert, so I did not need to look down that often. Soon enough, I was able to see the ocean on the horizon, and the coastal city just before it. I picked up my pace and hurried over, eager to get a better look.


It became clear to me that not every city in Lilliputia is built for people my size. I stood there, a busy street in my way, unsure of how to proceed. Looking around, I saw no designated pathways, nor any signs of Gullis. For a moment, I was wondering if I had come to the wrong place. That was when my phone began to ring. I did not recognize the number, but I answered anyway.


"Hello?" I asked.


"Hey there! I'm gonna take a guess and say the huge, lost, and super cute Gulli a few blocks down is Nathalie?"


"That's me!" I laugh awkwardly. My head turns left and right, uncomfortably. "Um, who I am speaking to?"


"This is Leslie. Spelled with an 'ie', not 'eigh'. Those people are weirdos!" She laughs. "I'm the head lifeguard here at the Marina. Turn left and walk until you see the big, colorful sign. I'll be waitin' for ya at the boardwalk!"


And with that, she hung up.


I pocketed my phone and followed Leslie's instructions. It led me down the street and to a big sign, just like she said. After struggling to find a way past the entrance, I opted to simply step over it. It was not hard; I was only worried about breaking some kind of rule. I made sure to watch my step. I was being extra careful to avoid random construction holes! Doing my best not to disturb the people I was stepping over was impossible. Several pairs of eyes in the Marina were one me, I could feel it. The best I could do was move quickly and get to the beach. I could already see the boardwalk a few steps away.


The beach was beautiful! The color of the water, the warmth of the sun on my skin, and the feel of the sand beneath my feet were all perfect. All around were beachgoers, wading in the water or sitting in the shade of little umbrellas. They reminded me of the decorative ones you find in drinks. They were probably the same size too! There were not a lot of people here yet, since it was still early. The area I stood in was clear of people. Unlike the rest of the area, the part near the boardwalk was not as nice. It was awfully rocky, hence why no one was there. I looked out at the structure, spotting a single person standing at the end of it. They were waving and yelling to me, but I could not hear a thing. That was when my phone rang again.


"What are you waiting for?" Leslie's voice came through the speaker. "Get changed and meet me in the water. I want to speak to you face to face."


"Yes! Right away! Is there a changing room nearby?" I asked, looking for any place big enough to accommodate me. They tended to stand out.


"You didn't change at home?"


"No, I did. I'm wearing it under my clothes."


"Great! So, strip already!" She told me, probably forgetting how much I would stand out if I did so. A Lilli could probably get away with that. Me, not so much. "Leave your clothes where you're standing right now. I guarantee you no one will steal them."


"I-I..." I stuttered, suddenly feeling embarrassed. As much as I wanted to protest, I worried about making a bad impression. I really needed that job! "Okay... I'll be ready in a jiff!"


I hung up and set my phone down on one of the larger rocks by my feet--a sizeable boulder about the size of my phone. Closing my eyes and doing all I could to not feel humiliated, I pulled off my shirt and wiggled out of my shorts. I folded my clothes in a hurry and set them down as I was told. I did not dare glance over at the beachgoers. Whether or not they were staring, I could not bear to know. I set foot in the water, which was pleasantly warm, and began walking parallel to the boardwalk. It took a while for the water to get deeper. I was not expecting it to get so deep by the time I reached the end. It was up to my waist! While I am on the 'petite' side, it still came as a shock.


"Welcome to the best job you'll ever have!" Leslie jumped up and down, waving her hands in the air. I still don't know how to explain it, but she matched the image I had in my head. Like, to a scary degree. "You look great, by the way! I'm glad we were able to get a swimsuit in your size so quickly."


"Thank you! I really like it." I smiled, kneeling in the water so that we could be more level. Only then did I notice the large whistle beside her. I call it large now, but it was just 'normal' size for me. "Is that for me?"


"You guessed it. It was supposed to be sent with the swimsuit, my bad there!" 


I grabbed it by the strap and put it around my neck, letting it rest on my chest. "No worries! So long as I have it."


"Okay! Now for the boring part. Trust me, I'd skip this if I could, but I gotta or else my boss will yell at me. I'll try to make it brief..." She groaned, leaning on the railing and rolling her eyes. "You are a lifeguard now, and that means you need to guard lives. We've prepared a spot for you near the middle of the Marina's coast where you will sit and keep an eye out for anyone in trouble. If you see anything, go help them! It's pretty self-explanatory." She played with her hair as she talked, staring off into the distance. "We have a whole procedure for applying first aid, mouth to mouth, etc., but none of that will be relevant to you. Just scoop them out of the water and deliver them to me. I'll handle the rest."


"Okay, got it. And what should I do with this whistle?"


"Blow it if you see someone breaking a rule. You know the rules, right?" She eyed me carefully. 


"I do, but it wouldn't hurt to get a refresher." I told her, honestly. When it comes to safety, I know there are no stupid questions. Mr. Luther taught me that. 


She smiled at me, satisfied with my answer. "There aren't many. Make sure no one is swimming if the red, double-red, or purple flag goes up. If you see someone doing something dangerous, like a kid going out too deep on their own, warn them. If you see any kind of dangerous activity, warn them too. Your job is to save lives. That comes in two forms: preventing accidents, and dealing with them properly, if they happen."


"Got it. Seriously, this time." I nodded.


"Great! Your shift starts...now! Another lifeguard will be here to take your place at two. If you need anything, don't hesitate to call me."


"Just five hours? I can do that! Thank you, Leslie! I'm really glad to be working with you."


She gave me a wink and a thumbs up before walking off to one of the shacks nearby. Despite her attitude, I got the feeling she was passionate. She clearly loved being a lifeguard and she was able to explain the rules so clearly! Apparently, she was full of surprises.


I carefully made my way through the water, to the spot where I was told to sit. I decided to stay in the water because taking the sandy route would probably disturb the beachgoers. They would not have appreciated the water dripping off me falling onto them. Slowly, carefully I walked out and onto the shore. They had left a sign that read 'Gulli on duty, make way!'. I found it funny. Taking my seat, I stretched out my legs and got comfortable. They reached from the shore, well into the water. It felt like being in a sandy puddle, to be honest. And so, I began my watch, remaining ever-vigilant.


Or at least, I tried to.


From the moment I sat down, no, the moment I arrived at the beach, I had been attracting attention. The feeling of eyes on me earlier got so much worse as the day went by. More and more people arrived, and none of them felt any guilt as they stared at me. Was it the swimsuit? I did not think it was skimpy or anything. Maybe they had never seen a Gulli before? I could not be sure. All I did know, was that I was getting a lot of male attention. It was not flattering. Rather than yell at them, which I worried might get me in trouble, I simply ignored them. 


Two hours passed, and I eventually was able to 'tune out' the ogling. Their stares were harmless, for the most part. I was not going to let it distract me from keeping watch. Thankfully, nothing of note happened. People were, generally speaking, quite peaceful and safe. I did have to blow my whistle when a teen decided to dunk his little brother, but other than that, I did not have to do much. I allowed myself to relax a little, enjoying the sun. I was quite pale, so the idea of getting a natural tan was really exciting. Leslie was right, this was the best job ever!


"I could get used to this!" I yawn, stretching my arms in the air.


Another hour passed, marking the halfway point in my shift. That was when the first 'incidents' happened. Nothing too serious, but they certainly bothered me. As I sat there, my legs outstretched, I started to feel something touching me. My first instinct was to kick, and it was good that I didn't. Apparently, some kids in the water decided to use me as a boardwalk. They were climbing on my feet and running around on my shins. Leaning forward, I did my best to gently explain that it was unsafe, not to mention improper, to do that. They apologized and, with some help from me, safely got off. I have no clue where their parents were, so I decided to keep a close eye on them as they played in the shallow water around my knees.


"Kids... They do the strangest things! At least they apologized."


Shortly after the kids left me alone, I found a group of Lilli guys a little younger than myself checking me out. They were not subtle about it, staring at me and whistling to get my attention. I paid them no mind until I saw a camera flash out of the corner of my eye. At that point, I had tolerated them enough. Grabbing a fistful of sand, I held it over their heads and dropped it on them. A harmless gesture that definitely got my point across. They left me alone and went to the water to rinse off. 


"Hmph. Serves them right."


Two more hours passed, meaning I had completed my first day as a lifeguard without a hitch! It was such a good feeling--enough to erase the pain of my demolition accident. If only it could have stayed that way. Honestly, of all the jobs I am going to talk about in this journal, this was the one I liked most. I really wish I had been more careful.


A woman ran up to me, panicked and frantic. She yelled up at me, trying to get my attention. I could tell it was serious.


"My baby! I lost my baby!" She sobbed, hardly able to speak her words. "Please, help me!"


"Calm down, ma'am. How old is you child? Can you tell me what they look like?" I told her, calmly. I was already scanning the area for a small child. I thought I had been keeping watch pretty well, until then. "Where did you last see them?" 


"He- He's four! He's wearing blue swimming trunks..." She hyperventilated, breaking down even worse. "I swear, I only looked away for a minute!"


She was clearly struggling, which did not make the situation any better. I decided to use the information I had and began looking for anyone that matched her description. I started with the areas closest, then the shoreline, then the water itself. I squinted my eyes, focusing on tiny splashes of water in the distance. My eyes caught sight of a tiny head struggling to stay above water. It was not too far from the shoreline, but it was definitely deep enough for a small child to drown in. 


I blew my whistle and leapt to my feet, then made a beeline to the water. I had no time to look where I was stepping, so it was good that everyone had cleared the way. As I entered the water, I did not stop running. I leaned over, dragging my hand through the water like a net. A moment later, I felt something touch it, which I then lifted out to safety. My rush provided me with little more than a second to glance at the child, coughing and sputtering, but thankfully alive. Unable to stop myself, I fell forward into the 'shallow' water, cradling the young boy to my chest.


"It's okay! Cough it all out. You're going to be just fine." I smiled at him.


I stood back up and the feeling of relief welled up inside me. I had saved this boy! I was a hero! What an intense way to end my first day. Sadly, that feeling faded when I turned around. Rather than receiving cheers, I was met with screams of anger. And it was no mystery why. In my rush, I had thrown sand everywhere, showering the beachgoers. Umbrellas were tattered and knocked over. Worst of all, my landing had produced a sizeable wave which then drenched the already sandy people. At least when I returned the boy to his mother, she was grateful. Despite the horrible reaction from everyone else, I did not feel guilty. Sand and water could be washed off, but losing a child...that was permanent. If I had been any slower, he might have drowned. I could not let it happen!


"Nathalie! What the hell!" I heard a familiar, but furious voice call to me. It was Leslie and she was pissed. "What have you done to our beach?!"


"There was a little boy in the water and I ran-" I tried, but she would not let me talk.


"Oh my god, I'm so fucked!" She screamed. "I'm gonna be fired, because of you! Look at this damage!"


"Leslie, please. It was worth it. Look!" I gestured to the mother and child, but they were already gone. I had hoped that she might vouch for me, but I was not so lucky. I never am. So, I switched from trying to convince her to pleading. "I'll clean this up. Just give me a chance."


And then came my two least favorite words in the world.


"You're fired!"

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading! Don't hesitate to leave a review, or several, if you want. If you have an idea you'd like to see happen in the story, feel free to share it! I love interacting with my readers, and I will do my best to respond to you.


I've decided to launch a Patreon where supporters can gain access to chapters early. Chapter uploads are weekly. If you are eager to see what's next or just a fan of my work please consider checking it out! https://www.patreon.com/user?u=79288680