- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Added 01-Oct.

Upon cresting a grassy hill, the group of survivors saw the blurry outlines of Verdant Vale. Three hours passed since the giant woman freed them, leaving them out to defend themselves in the wilds. The survivors were not only left confused by their freedom from the giant, but how their journey through the wilds was uneventful. They only rested to drink from streams. They chattered, but chiefly in hushed tones.

Jaina was in the group's rear, keeping up with their fevered pace by only a hair. She kept looking over her shoulder, expecting to see the giantess looming over them. A nagging feeling in the back of her mind kept telling her that the giant woman was playing with them. Some sort of sick tease to free them and hunt them down. But this never happened. Jaina didn’t see the giant, nor did she feel any thundering steps under her feet.

“I am going to drink until I blackout.” Someone from the group said.

“There will be time for that. We need to speak to the Mayor first. Tell him that this she-beast knows the location of the Vale and that she might head there.”

“If she’s heading to the Vale, why the hell are we?”

“To warn them, you buffoon.”

The chatter continued, and so did their march towards the town. Jaina was unsure what she wanted. She needed food and rest. And then somehow find a way back home to Mekbrook.

Outside the town’s perimeter, the local Army buzzed with activity. Troops were arriving from the wilds, lugging siege equipment, horses, and wagons full of armaments. The soldiers were in high spirits and appeared ready for some R&R.

The group of survivors arrived at the town’s walls behind this group of soldiers. The survivors heard the troops cheering, laughing with one another as they told tales of their conquest. They went largely ignored, as the group of survivors were keen on seeing the Mayor and warning him of the giant threat. A soldier advised them the Mayor would be in the Town Hall and then went back to drinking with his comrades.

-

Kara was in the zone. To her left, on her desk, a scroll with faded text detailing the laws regarding stone trade during years that end with an odd number, during a solar eclipse. On her right, a fresh book, with wet ink drying, as Kara simplified the terminology of the laws. Her left index finger followed the old text, her right hand wrote the modern interpretation. Both her hands moved downwards simultaneously as she made the transcription in real-time. The room filled with the scratching sounds of her quill on parchment.

When she completed the scroll, she leaned back in her oversized chair and looked over her work. It was hard not to admire her penmanship as she studied the curvy lines of her text, how they flowed and filled out the page like a delicate wave. It was almost beautiful; almost an art piece. Yet, she knew no one would ever read this transcription of an archaic law not enforced at the present. It wasn’t her job to question the need to make such transcriptions, however. It was her duty to make the transcriptions, and she was going to do her best, regardless of its efficacies in modern trade.

The sound of commotion in the halls took her attention. She set down her writing instrument and hopped down from her chair, her small delicate feet landing on the dusty wooded floor. She followed the halls to the main chamber in the Town Hall. A dozen and half people crowded the room. They were anxious, tired, and pleading. They were warning about something she couldn’t understand.

“Kara, is that you?”

Kara followed the direction of her name and saw an old childhood friend, Jaina, shouting at her from the midst of the chaos. Jaina was of average height, which meant she towered over Kara. They both grew up in the same town before Kara went to the capital for advanced schooling.

“Jaina, is that you?”

“Gods, Kara, it’s been so long.”

Jaina bent down and hugged her friend. The hug lasted longer than Kara would’ve expected. It was good to see old friends. She noted Jaina trembled and looked fatigued. Kara looked at her friend and then at the group of people with innocent eyes.

“What’s going on, Jaina? Who are these people?”

“Is there somewhere we can talk? Just the two of us?”

“My office, I suppose. I work here, by the way.”

“That’s perfect. Lead the way.”

-

Kara poured a cup of tea for herself and her friend. Jaina looked around the messy, cramped office. She couldn’t recall a time when she’s seen so many books, scrolls, and stacks of parchment. Kara also had many bottles of inks in different colors, quills, and pencils. A stack of books in one corner of the office stood higher than Kara. To imagine all the knowledge in these books, packed away tightly in the little woman’s mind.

“What is your job?” Jaina asked.

“Writing. Reading and writing.”

“Oh, that sounds…special. Kara, I thought you went to work for the Queen? At least that’s what my mother said.”

“It’s true. I did. The Queen’s court chose me to be an apprentice scholar, and I worked there for two months before they transferred me here to Verdant Vale.”

“Only two months? Why would they do that? Oops, I didn’t mean to sound so rude.”

“No, don’t worry about it. The Queen had me transferred because she said this town would benefit from my talents.”

“Here? In the Vale?”

“Well. That. And something else.”

“I’m sorry, Kara, I don’t mean to pry. I haven’t heard from you in years and this whole time I thought you were rubbing shoulders with the high and mighty elites in the Queen’s court.”

Kara forced a smile and drank her tea. She set the oversized mug down on her desk and continued, “well, you know how people can be in the capital. They don’t care for people like me.”

“People like you?” Jaina laughed. “Everyone loves you, Kara. Who might not care for you?”

“Thank you, Jaina. It’s not that people didn’t like who I was. They just thought a tiny person like me should not work in the Queen’s court. You know the Queen is really tall, right? I’ve heard stories before I got to the palace, but when you see her in person, it’s—amazing. She’s an amazing Queen. Beautiful and towering.”

“Kara, are you saying you got transferred to this Podunk town because of your height?”

“I guess that’s one way to put it.”

“That’s terrible!”

“It’s okay Jaina. It’s not all terrible. The gods didn’t bless me with height because they wanted me here. I think it’s fate that brought me here.”

“You think divine intervention brought you here to read and write…what is all this stuff, anyway?”

“Laws and trade regulations from two to three centuries ago. I know it can sound boring, but I have fun reading all these texts. I sometimes feel like I’m the only one in the world that knows how people truly lived back then.”

Jaina smiled. “That’s what I miss about you, Kara, always looking on the brighter side of things.”

“Trust me, it’s fine here. I’m content with my life. But tell me, what are you doing out here, and who were all those people? I’m super curious.”

“Oh, that’s right. Have you all heard any news about giants?”

“Of course. It’s all anybody talks about the last couple of days.”

“Well, a giant woman attacked my town yesterday. It was at nightfall when she appeared. She stomped through our town’s defenses as if they were toys.”

“Oh gods, Jaina. I’m so sorry to hear. Did anyone get hurt?”

Jaina looked away from her friend. Her lips curled inwards, her eyes became glassy. She sniffed and tried to fight the tears, but they pierced through her tear ducts and came out streaming. She wiped a tear and took a few slow breaths, trying to recompose herself.

“Yes.” she whispered. “The giant woman killed many. She stepped on us like insects. She…she ate us whole.”

Kara’s bottom jaw dropped. She was now trembling as flashes of vivid imagery popped into her head of a man-eating giant. The thought of being eaten alive was quickly becoming her greatest fear she didn’t know she had. And it wasn’t an irrational fear that she made up; this was really happening to others, and could happed to her.

“I was in a pub,” Jaina said, “when she came and destroyed the roof. We tried to escape, but she blocked us. Kara, she casually ate people in front of us. Just plucking up people like fruit and throwing them into her mouth. Her big fingers came near me. I really thought I was going to die then, but she grabbed someone next to me instead and ate them. I can’t tell you how scared I was. It was horrible. But I think the worst part was how she enjoyed eating us. She was smiling at us and tasting everyone slowly before swallowing.”

“My gods, Jaina, how did you make it out?”

“I think the giant woman was full or something, because next, she picked us up one at a time and tossed us in this gigantic bag. Kara, I’ve never seen a giant before. But I know this giant was way bigger compared to what our people dealt with in the past. I don’t want to frighten you, but her thumb alone was bigger that you. She picked me up with two fingers, her thumbprint covered my entire upper chest. It felt so weird to be in her grasp.”

Kara trembled as she took another sip of her tea.

“I don’t think I weighed anything to her,” Jaina said. “She just lifted me and threw me in her bag with everyone else, like she was picking flowers.”

Jaina continued her story. She detailed what the giant woman looked like and the strange way she spoke. There was a somber moment when she spoke of Timon, but admitted that Timon’s actions caused his fate. The giantess was capricious with her treatment towards them and showed mercy. Despite the language barrier, Jaina explained how the two of them exchanged fruit and how she taught the giantess how to eat an aleberry.

“Kara, I don’t know what it all means. First, giants don’t have intelligence. They don’t talk or communicate. Second, am I the first person ever to give fruit to a giant? Because that’s really weird. Giants are supposed to destroy and kill nonstop when they see humans.”

“That is weird.”

“I don’t know what it all means. But I have a feeling there’s something there that we should explore or experiment with.”

“What do you mean?”

“I think we should talk to the giant woman.”

Kara laughed. “Why should we? The Army needs to eliminate her as soon as they spot her. You said it yourself. She attacked your town and killed many people already.”

“The giant woman gave us water, she fed us, and she let us go. I think she was talking to us the whole time, and whatever it was about made her sad. Now, don’t you think all that is worth considering?”

“I’m considering the harm she’s caused so far. Jaina, you said she’s eaten people right in front of you.”

“I know, I know. Everyone else thought I was crazy when I told them she showed us mercy. I’m just saying maybe we can communicate with her.”

“Communicate? They don’t understand us; we don’t understand them. The only language they understand is violence.”

“You’re not listening, Kara. She understood enough not to kill me. I think she’s different, and if she is, there might be a way to make peace with her.”

“Peace? I don’t know.”

Jaina nodded.

“I don’t think there can be peace with giants. Not after what they’ve done.” Kara shivered as she thought about the giant woman swallowing a person whole. “And what if you’re wrong? Let’s say we find a way to communicate with the giants and make peace. What’s stopping them from turning on us? We could put so many lives in harm’s way.”

“And what if you’re wrong, Kara? What if this constant war with giants just creates an endless cycle of giant invasions? They’re becoming bigger and smarter—and deadlier. Peace might be the only hope we have.”

“I’m sorry, Jaina…I can’t—I just can’t see peace as an option. It’s unforgivable what that giant woman has done.”

Jaina breathed and exhaled, an attempt to suppress her frustration. With delicate care, she rose to her feet and took a few steps to one of Kara’s bookshelves. She turned her back to the diminutive woman as ran a finger across dozens of leather-bound books. The titles were unfamiliar to her and so were the books’ languages.

“I’ve been questioning things, Kara. For once in my life, I placed myself in the shoes of that giant woman. You know how I would react?”

“Hopefully by not eating people?”

“I’d be scared.”

“Scared?”

“I know you really want the Army to kill her so you can sleep better at night.” Jaina turned to face her friend. “But I think if the Army keeps attacking her, she’s going to fight back. Yes, I would forgive her and give her a second chance.”

Kara remained silent.

“It’s been nice meeting you, Kara, but I have to go. A few of us are going to hire a carriage to take us back to Mekbrook.” She took a step to the exit, grabbed the doorknob, and paused. “I have a terrible feeling. I think you should leave the Vale and come with us.”

“I…” Kara was having a hard time breathing. “I can’t leave my home. Don’t worry about me. We have a very large military presence here. I’ll be fine.”

“That’s what worries me. If the Army does something stupid, she’ll be coming here. She knows where this town is.”

-

General Tarkus descended a narrow, dimly lit stairwell, the flickering flames from torches affixed to the stone walls casting long shadows that danced before him. The air grew cooler and increasingly tinged with an aroma of chemicals and aged parchment. At the bottom, he reached the heavy oak door that led to the alchemist’s laboratory. He pushed it open and entered as he’s done many times before.

The chamber was expansive, filled with tables cluttered with bubbling vials of colorful substances, burners glowing with blue flames, and books of herbalist knowledge stacked high. The walls were lined with shelves holding more flasks, bottles, and plantlife. Scrolls and diagrams were strewn about on tables, shelves, and on the floor. At the center of all this was the alchemist, an elderly figure with a long, white beard, hunched over a parchment and scribbling notes with fervor.

“Alaric,” Tarkus addressed him, his voice tinged with authority. “There has been a change of plans.”

The alchemist looked up, squinting behind a pair of round glasses. “Ah, General Tarkus. What is this change you speak of? I am already overwhelmed by your request to make more giant poison. Your boys ought to treat it as the rare commodity it is. It takes weeks to produce. Not to mention how difficult it is to source the ingredients.”

“That’s just it. I don’t need the poison anymore. Please cease your production immediately.”

“Oh, thank gods. That is a load off for me. For a second, I thought—”

“Ever hear of ‘The Nectar of Subjugation’ before?”

“Yes, of course. It’s an incredibly unique—”

“Good. I need several batches, portioned out to take down a hundred and forty foot giant woman.”

Alaric took off his glasses and tossed them on his table. “Can I just make the poison instead?”

“The Queen no longer wishes to eliminate the giant. We will subjugate it…and parade it to the palace.” The General had a hard time accepting what he said.

Alaric stood dumbfounded. He pinched the bridge of his nose and shut his eyes. He groaned as he thought of all the work that laid before him, if he were to create the nectar.

“Alaric, this is the Queen’s wish and I wouldn’t ask you to do this otherwise.”

“I won’t question it. I know if I did, that her Majesty has every right to put my head on a pike as to serve as a lesson to other would-be alchemists, that you obey orders and not question them. It’s the only reason I’ve lived so long. The Nectar of Subjugation…I’ve made this for other humans, never for giants. The ingredients are rare, but in the quantities I’ll need…it’s going to take time.”

“I’ll see you get any resource required, to include manpower.”

“You can give me an Army and it will still take time. I need fungus that grows underground, plus unicorn blood, wildflowers from the skeleton coast. And that’s just the beginning. I also need—”

“I don’t need the details, Alaric. How long will it take?”

“I can’t answer that. It depends entirely on when we—”

“You have two weeks. Please don’t disappoint the Queen or the Kingdom, Alaric.”

-

The landscape laid before her like a quilt of varying shades of green. Jennifer felt the ground giving away more than usual in this part of the environment. Looking back, she could see her footprints littering the otherwise pristine scenery. The grass was like a fuzzy moss and the surrounding trees barely reached her knees. To her, everything felt like miniature replicas, but the frailty of the trees and grass were noticeable when she hiked through them.

“I did it Anton.” She murmured to herself. “I hope it’s what you would’ve wanted me to do.”

Jennifer kept walking towards the coast while scanning the landscape for any clues to the whereabouts of the other scientists. The footprints she left behind were so well-defined that other scientists would have made identical prints if they were present. But after spotting nothing for a while, she was growing discouraged she was nowhere near the others.

Wildflowers bloomed in a field before her. The grass grew higher in this area, but relative to Jennifer, they were like long carpet fibers. The flowers were bursting with color, as though someone had taken every shade in the rainbow and painted them onto each petal. They appeared lovely behind the backdrop of the long grass flowing in the breeze. Now and then, she could smell the floral notes that were drifting towards her.

Jennifer walked around the field of wildflowers, not wanting to disrupt the charming ecosystem that flourished there. She shoved through juvenile pines and skinny trees like she was walking through an overgrown hiking path. The terrain became hilly and was a tad noticeable to her as her steps became lunges. After taking one last lungs to reach the top of a hill—a small mountain to the Lilliputians—Jennifer finally saw signs of her friends that hinted she may be on the right trail. Trees that were snapped and lying on the ground and footprints that dotted the ground made it appear that at least one scientist came through here.

Jennifer’s spirit lifted for the first time since this hellish nightmare began. She had substantial hope she would not be on her own anymore. Although little human-like creatures inhabited this world, she felt incredibly alone, like being on a deserted island. It took her the events from the past couple of days for her to realize how much she missed talking to people her size—and in her language. Aside from being lonesome, finding the other scientists meant she would go home. Jennifer was sure the eggheads had a contingency plan and that they knew how to return home. They were probably searching for Jennifer at that moment, and once re-united, they’d all translocate back to their dimension.

Like a detective at a crime scene, Jennifer treaded towards the fallen trees with care not to disturb the evidence. She lowered herself and examined the footprints. The prints appeared to be feminine, which led Jennifer to suspect they came from Sarah. Looking at the fallen trees, which looked like twigs, she made an alarming discovery. Blood.

With a renewed sense of urgency, Jennifer followed the trail of destruction through the miniature world. Her breathing quickened as she saw more blood. These weren’t streaks of blood, they were drips which suggested Sarah injured and slogging through the forest. “Fuck.” As she moved forward, the blood became more prevalent. Sarah was bleeding a lot. “Sarah!” She waited for a response. All she saw were birds scattering away from her thunderous shout.

Jennifer felt this heavy blanket of dread drape over her. The green pasture, white birch-like trees, and colorful flowers, doused in bright red blood. She grew frantic as she bulldozed through the light forest in search of her friend. “Sarah?” Jennifer’s vision tunneled as kept her focus ten steps ahead. Then, past the treeline, she found her.

“Oh my god, Sarah!” Jennifer dropped to her knees and rolled Sarah onto her back. She was alive, but only barely. Jennifer lifted Sarah’s head onto her arm and held her in a hug. “Sarah?”

Blood streamed from Sarah’s mouth. Lilliputian arrows covered Sarah’s body, as if she were getting an acupuncture. Jennifer’s eyes brimmed with tears, her hands trembling as they held onto Sarah, afraid that her slightest touch would bring more pain. “Hold on, Sarah. I’m going to get you out of here, okay?” Jennifer choked out, her voice tinged with desperate hope.

Sarah shook her head feebly, her gaze locking onto Jennifer’s. “It’s too late for me, Jen. The others…Aaron, Mitch…they’re gone. Those tiny people…they showed no mercy.”

A heavy, agonizing silence settled between them. The weight of Sarah’s words crushed Jennifer’s heart like a vise. “No, no, this can’t be happening,” Jennifer muttered, almost to herself. “You can’t die. Not like this.”

Sarah coughed, blood speckling her lips, but formed a small, regretful smile. “I’m sorry, Jen. I’m sorry for bringing you into this mess. This expedition...it was doomed from the start. We didn’t account for a smaller dimension. We should have translocated on the ground. But this Earth is small. Our math was off. We were in the air.” Sarah’s eyelids were heavy and covering most of her vision.

“Stop it, Sarah, don’t apologize,” Jennifer said, her voice breaking, tears spilling down her cheeks. “This isn’t your fault.”

With a final, labored breath, Sarah whispered, “I wish I could’ve seen your wedding…I’ll be there in spirit…goodbye, Jen,” before her eyes lost their spark, her body going limp in Jennifer’s arms.

Jennifer’s vision faded to darkness. She couldn’t see, hear, or feel anything. It was like having a dozen of emotions trying to express themselves at the same time. It overloaded her body, causing it to shut down. This period of darkness extended so long, Jennifer felt that she too was dead, and entered a blank afterlife.

After the initial shock, things came back into focus in slow-moving chunks. She was screaming. Not by a conscious choice, but as a natural reaction to having her dear friend die in her arms. Her screaming ended when her lungs ran out of air. She tried inhaling, but felt like she was swallowing water and drowning. Shallow breaths came in irregular intervals, slowly inflating her lungs with oxygen again.

Closing her eyelids, Jennifer felt a pool of tears get released from her eyes. Wetting her cheeks with the salty, grief-filled liquid. Her sense of touch came back as she felt Sarah’s lifeless body in her grasp. Anton was dead. Aaron and Mitch were long dead. And now Sarah…

Jennifer laid the body down gently and closed Sarah’s eyelids. She then let herself cry. There was no holding back or caging emotions. There were only tears now. She could not accept her new reality, that her fiance and friends were dead, and now she was trapped in an alternate-dimension filled with little beings set out to kill her. It was a comedy of tragedies, one after another.

Her agonizing cry caused her to slump into the fetal position, lying next to Sarah’s body. The facts weren’t getting easier to accept. She could deal with the fact that she was lost in an alternate world, but having so many love ones perish, one after another. She let out another grief-stricken moan as she thought of Anton. This cute miniature world around her was a cruel facade for the actual hell it was.

Her sorrowful cries morphed into a searing rage, a fire ignited by loss and betrayal. It mattered not how merciful or diplomatic she was with the Lilliputians. They always responded with death and violence. The guilt she once had for killing and imprisoning them was gone. Any act of kindness or diplomacy by her meant nothing to the creatures who only wanted her dead.

Jennifer kicked at trees, picked up boulders and tossed them. She pushed her vocal cords to the limit as she screamed until she could no longer make any noise. Pent up anger released from her like a fire hose. Four innocent people were dead because of the Lilliputians, she repeated in her mind. And to think of all the good she wanted to do in this miniature world. How great it would’ve been for these technologically challenged people to have giants on their side? Providing safety and advancement to their world. Leading scientists from her world could have jumped them many levels in their skill tree, advancing them to modern times. But no. They killed. The Lilliputians drew first blood. They were not interested in diplomacy. And that will be their undoing, Jennifer decided. Instead of advancing them through the ages, she was going to set them back to the nomadic era.

If those Lilliputians thought she was a formidable before, well, they have seen nothing yet. She was going to make them pay. She told Sarah’s lifeless body she was going to avenge her death and make the Lilliputians deeply regret laying a finger on her.

Jennifer gathered the fallen timber around her and gently placed it on top of Sarah’s body. Making a final resting place for her fallen friends and fiance will have to wait. For now, she wanted to deal with the Lilliputians. She was going to level them and wipe them out. Only after that, will she see to a proper send off for her friends. Then there was the matter of getting home. The inter-dimensional remote was missing from Sarah, which meant it was still out there, somewhere. She’ll find it and go home. But first…

-

Kara excused herself from work early, claiming to feeling nauseous, which wasn’t far from the truth. Jaina’s words resonated with her and wouldn’t leave her mind at peace. The facts clearly showed the giant was incapable of peace or understanding. It had to be eliminated. Simple as that, she reasoned. But if it was so simple, why did she doubt it?

“Hey Liam,” Kara said. On her way home, she passed a group of soldiers, her good friend amongst them. They seemed to be chatting up the storm about something exciting.

“Kara, Kara. Hey, did you hear the good news?” Liam asked.

“I’m not sure.”

“Well, let me tell you. Our boys did it; they fatally wounded a giant woman Northwest of here. She’s good as gone. Isn’t that great?”

“They did? How? I mean, was it a fierce fight?”

“They said it was nothing. They’re doggin’ on the 112th Brigade right now for not being able to take her down at the beach. She wasn’t even chained up or nothing. Just walking out in the field. Ambushed her and shot her up like a confused boar. No one got hurt. They said it was like shooting at a slow-moving building. Super easy.”

“Easy? I thought the giant woman was…I don’t know, smart and evasive?”

“Whatever they thought, she’s dead now. Our Colonel can’t wait to inform the capital and the Queen. There’s going to be a pig party tonight! Hey, what’s wrong?”

“It’s nothing Liam. It’s just…well, I don’t know, just a weird feeling. I thought it was going to be some time before we took her out. Not so soon. But I am relieved it’s over.”

“It’s finally over. See you at the party!”

Kara excused herself and continued her walk home. Was that it? Was it really going to be this anti-climactic? There was a strange, remorseful feeling washing over Kara. Maybe they should’ve given peace a chance. The giant woman dying so ungracefully didn’t sit right with her.

But that knowing that the giantess was no longer a threat was a better feeling. It meant her fear of being eaten alive no longer needed to be a concerned. She was going to go to that party and release some built up tension from the last couple of days. Her mood became positive and her mind shifted, wondering what she would wear at the party.

-

The horse’s nostrils flared wide, sucking in air like a jet engine as it raced across the green countryside. On its back, a courier from the Queen’s court whipped on the reins, eliciting a loud whinny from the horse. The courier’s long brown hair flowed in the wind, his hat having been blown off during the first hour of his gallop.

His task was a critical one, albeit a simple one that he had to complete under any circumstance. He had to deliver General Tarkus’ note to Colonel Voss—the officer in charge of the armed forces stationed out in Verdant Vale. The contents of the note were a mystery to the courier, but the General placed significant weight on the mission. He knew its importance could shape the future of the world.

The courier made three stops at various villages in towns, but these stops were not for rest. These stops were to swap out horses for fresh ones. He couldn’t afford any delays with a tired horse. He needed to deliver the General’s message as soon as humanly possible.

The horses' stampeding strides kicked dirt and dust that billowed behind them as they zoomed across the striking landscape. He looked to his left and worried about the time he was making; the sun was already nearing the horizon.

-

Jennifer’s eyes narrowed as she surveyed the landscape, retracing her footsteps back to the spot where she had freed the Lilliputians earlier. She reached the field where the weird orange fruits grew from trees. A disgusting tasting fruit like everything else in this godforsaken land. As she looked at the tree branch with fruit on the ground, she realized how naïve she was. Every second she spent with the Lilliputians earlier in the day, she fought the urge to devour them. In her language, she told them she suppressed her hunger as a peace offering, and because Anton would’ve wanted her to forgive the misguided people. But that surely backfired.

Jennifer decided if she found that Lilliputian woman that peeled the fruit for her, she would peel her skin off before crushing her. The betrayal Jennifer felt was overwhelming her senses. Her skin was fiery and ready to burst out in flames. She would show no mercy. Every step Jennifer took felt weighted, each footprint a declaration: violence would be met with violence.

The sun dipped below the horizon, casting long, sinister shadows that seemed to stretch toward the direction of a large Lilliputian town she saw before. She pointed out to the Lilliputians where the town was. They likely walked there already and were warning others about her presence. No doubt they were preparing to end her like they did her friends. She would not let that happen. For the next fifteen to twenty minutes, Jennifer hurried across the land and towards the town.

The sky had deepened into a velvety black by the time Jennifer reached the crest of a hill overlooking the large town. Many flickering lights dotted the town below, completely unaware of the storm that was about to descend upon them. She clenched her fists; her knuckles turning white in the moonlight. Her chest felt tight, her breathing shallow; every cell in her body was coiled, ready to unleash the torrent of her fury.

It was a long, chilling moment as she stood there, the breeze playing through her hair like a mournful symphony, whispering secrets only she could hear. Then, her eyes hardened, a last glimmer of doubt extinguished. She began her descent towards the town, each step a prelude to what was coming.

The tension was at its breaking point. Gone were the days of second-guessing, of holding onto the feeble hope that there might be a way for both species to coexist peacefully. That ideal had cost her everything, and now this town would understand the depth of her resolve, the gravity of their mistake. She was no longer a tourist in their lands. Jennifer had become the reckoning they had so blindly invited upon themselves.

-

The town’s square, serving as the communal heart of Verdant Vale, was nestled between the Town Hall and Chapel, and surrounded by an array of shops and homes. It was here that the night’s grand celebration was set to unfold. The 50th Fighting Brigade, stationed in town, had vanquished the last giant threatening their realm. And it was for that crowning achievement that they, along with the townspeople, were going to party hard.

Although the Army hadn’t yet verified the giant’s death, confidence ran high among the ranks that they eliminated the giant. This optimism led to Colonel Voss and the Mayor declaring a festival to commemorate the end of the giant threat. Citizens could rest easy that they were no longer in danger and regain confidence in their military.

The square had a wooden stage built for the festivities. In front of the stage, there was an area cleared out for dancing, and beyond that were countless tables overfilling with food and drink. Vendors wheeled in carts laden with barrels of beer and carafes of wine, while torches, lanterns, and a constellation of candles bathed the square with a warm, inviting glow. And on the stage itself were performers armed with percussion, woodwind, and brass instruments.

Everyone in town converged at the center to take part in the celebration.

Kara held the red dress up to the mirror, her eyes twinkling with anticipation. The fabric shimmered softly under the glow of the oil lamp, a myriad of embroidered patterns catching the light in a delicate dance. As she slipped into the dress, it hugged her small-frame perfectly, accentuating her slender waist and giving her a sense of confidence that she rarely felt. She twirled briefly, admiring how the skirt flared gracefully around her legs.

Seated at her vanity, she carefully applied a light touch of makeup, accenting her eyes and adding a splash of color to her lips. She ran her fingers through her hair, deciding on a simple but elegant updo. As she pinned her hair in place, she allowed herself to daydream, imagining what the celebration was going to be like. Heck, maybe someone would look past her small stature and take a romantic interest in her. There was always a first-time for everything.

After getting ready, Kara gave her cat a quick pet and headed to the bustling square.

-

The courier at last reached Verdant Vale. He rode his horse to the first soldier he saw. “You there. Yes, you. Where might I find Colonel Voss?”

“Where you’ll find everyone, center square.” The soldier pointed toward the celebration. “Big party tonight; you’re gonna see a lot of people. Just look for the fancy table. Colonel should be there.”

The courier thanked him and then kicked his spurs into the horse, causing it to launch forward once again.

It was a sight to see. The town didn’t hold back on its celebration. What were they celebrating? The courier wondered. It wasn’t a holiday or religious day. He pushed the thought away since it didn’t matter in the grand scheme of things, only his mission. Unable to proceed any further on horseback, he got off and rushed through the throng of people.

He walked towards a large stage and reasoned the Colonel might have a special table set near there. He wasn’t wrong. The table, covered in white linen and silverware, appeared to be the most grandiose one at the square. Seated near the center was an old military man wearing a white ceremonial uniform. The courier spotted the Colonel's insignia and went straight for him.

“Colonel Voss?” The courier saluted. “I have an urgent letter for you. Straight from the desk of General Tarkus.”

The Colonel sighed. He set down his glass of wine and looked up at the courier from behind a mountain of food. “Son, can’t you see we’re having a party here? Can’t this wait until tomorrow?”

“Respectfully, no, sir. The General said it was paramount you accept and execute this order.” He handed the sealed envelope.

The Colonel turned to the Mayor and said, “order.” He snickered. “The ol’ General doesn’t know the giant is dead. He’s operating on outdated reports.” He took the envelope and cut through the wax seal with his index finger. “Actually, before you head back to the General, I’ll give you a report on how we brought down a giant woman today.” The Colonel then read the message.

“What is it Voss?” The Mayor asked.

“Nothing. Nothing special.” Looking up at the courier. “You said this was urgent, boy?”

“Those were my orders, sir. I do not know the contents of the message, other than its urgency.”

“Well, I’ll tell ya what it says, and you can tell me if it was worth racing over here from the capital. It says, I’m to locate this man by the name of Kaczka. Looks like he’s a linguist. Blah, blah, blah, strategic importance in defeating the giants. Secure him and keep him safe until the primary force gets up here. Like I said, the General is operating under old reports. There are no more giants. No need to deploy more men up here; waste of time. Go back to your boss and tell ‘em the giant woman is dead.”

“Understood, Colonel. Before I depart, I know the General is going to ask this. Can you provide a physical description of the giantess?”

“Oh, bother!” Colonel Voss sighed. “I’m trying to celebrate here, boy. Why worry about this right this second?”

The courier remained silent, staring back at the Colonel, waiting for an answer.

“Fine. She had a pale skin color. And her hair was…it was a reddish-brown hue. And—”

“Forgive me, sir. I have to admit something. Respectfully, I doubted your men eliminated the giant woman that has plagued us since this invasion began. This is mainly because she’s defeated our best men in multiple confrontations. The giant woman we are most concern with is cunning and formidable—but most importantly, she has blonde hair.”

Colonel Voss sat back in his seat. He suddenly didn’t feel like celebrating anymore. He turned to the Mayor. “Did those survivors from this morning give a description of the giant woman?”

“I don’t recall.” The Mayor said. “You assured me that your men eliminated the giant that freed those survivors this afternoon.”

“I’m sure we did.” Colonel Voss turned to the courier. “I’m sure you got your report wrong, boy. Or maybe I’m remembering her appearance incorrectly.”

“Should we end the celebration?” The Mayor asked.

“No, no. We don’t want to stir up a panic. Besides, it sounds like we have some miscommunication going on here. We’ll clear up things in the morning. But the worse thing we could do right now is create panic.”

Colonel Voss excused the courier and told him to keep his mouth sealed about their discussion. Once he ironed out in the morning, with the verification of the giant’s death, they would send the courier out to deliver the news back at the Capital. In the meantime, the Colonel had to locate Kaczka.

“Lieutenant,” The Colonel said. “Do you know a fellow by the name of Kaczka?”

“No, sir. But I can find out if any of my troops know him.”

“Yes, it is urgent. Orders from General Tarkus himself. Find Kaczka discreetly, and have him escorted to me immediately.”

“Copy.”

-

“Hate to interrupt your partying, guys, but do any of you know a man named Kaczka?”

“I do, sir. But, you should know—”

“Hey, so can you find Kaczka and take him to the Colonel. He’s wigging out about something. Appreciate it.”

“It will be done, Lieutenant.”

-

The beat of the drums reverberated deep in the chests of the partiers, a rhythmic pulse harmonizing the mood throughout the square. As the brass and woodwinds joined, the atmosphere filled with an electric, energizing life. Loving couples flourished and entangled with one another as they danced to the music, their faces flushed from exertion and exhilaration, and their eyes filled with sheer joy.

A line of single women formed near the dance floor, scanning the crowd in anticipation of an eligible partner to ask them for a dance. Among them was Kara, clad in her red dress, its hue vivid against the drab dresses of the other women. She, along with the other women, stood on their tippy-toes, their hopes rising anytime a man looked their way. In a society where one’s height often equated with the divine blessing given to her Majesty, men’s eyes naturally gravitated towards the taller women. Their eyes skipping Kara. The line of single women dwindled, while Kara stood, with a smile, and ever so hopeful.

A pair of women walked past Kara, snickering as they saw her little frame flanked by much taller—and therefore much more eligible women. Despite their snark, Kara ignored them, and instead focussed on the festivities. After several songs, she excused herself from the line to grab a glass of wine and to sit at one of the many tables. She sipped on her wine as she watched the party from the sidelines. Tapping her feet to the beat of the music and sharing a smile with the happy couples twirling in front of the stage. Everyone, including Kara, was unaware of the impending cataclysm that was about to descend upon them.

-

Along an imaginary line around the perimeter of Verdant Vale were guard towers near the dirt roads that led in and out of town. These towers’ purpose weren’t designed to repel a foreign invading Army. The towers were more of the lookout variety. Designed to see danger from miles away and warn the town ahead of impending threats. Each tower equipped with bells and torches that could be used to alert others.

A soldier working the watch was eating a plate of food that he nabbed from the celebrations. His plate was overfilling with grilled meats and steamed vegetables. The juices from his cooked meats being sponged up by the greens. His eyes were bigger than his stomach, halfway through the plate, and he was already full. He was on his second pewter mug of mead and already feeling the numbing sensation of the alcohol. Of course, he would never drink on duty, but after the defeat of the giantess, he couldn’t see the harm in a little drink with his rich tasting food, while the rest of the town partied its heart out.

Okay, maybe it was a little too much mead.. He His bladder was full and needed tending to. He groaned when he thought about the 50 foot ladder he would have to climb down to take a piss. But then again…why not just pee from on top of the tower? It was dark and his post was the furthest one out. No one would see him if leaned on the edge and peed. He didn’t need any further convincing. He undid his trousers and urinated off the side of the lookout tower. Once complete, he collapsed back in his chair and brought his plate back on top of his lap. He tore some meat from a type of bird, not too dissimilar to a turkey.

He wasn’t paying attention to anything in particular. Just looking out into the darkness, admiring the stars and the serenity of the night. He kicked up his feet on the railing to the tower and continued to stare at nothing while stuffing his face. An oil lantern provided him with a soft, warm glow, which only threw light about 4 feet from either direction of it.

It was an odd sight. One that didn’t process in his mind as a threat, not immediately, at least. His entire view of the darkness and starry sky, replaced by the face of a gorgeous woman. Her face was dimly lit by his lantern, but enough for him to appreciate the beauty looking down at him. Blonde hair that was loosely tied back in a ponytail. Blue eyes as large as his head. Skin with imperfections like pimples magnified tenfold, yet it didn’t diminish her beauty, but only added character to her attractive face.

The gears in his head began spinning, warning him this was not a divine manifestation adorning her presence; this was the monster. The very monster that plagued the lands and was responsible for so many deaths. It was the monster that he thought his boys had killed earlier in the day. She, IT, was here. In Verdant Vale! The amount of people in danger did not dawn on him, as he felt his own life in peril. She looked down at him as her head rising higher above.

Pulling on a rope by his side, would chime the bell on the corner of the tower, ringing out like church bells. All soldiers and townspeople knew what the bells sounded like, and what they meant. It was an alert of great danger near town and to take defensive positions.

The soldier remained seated while his food cooled on his lap. He was unsure if he could make it to the rope in time. He’d have to drop his plate, scramble to the ground, and yank out it feverishly to get the bell going. Could he be faster than the giant? He wondered. His mind was coming up with a game plan—an attack plan. Drop, scramble, pull. Do it fast.

He never saw it coming. As his mind was still processing his next moves, the giantess made her move. 10 seconds later, his nude body was traveling down her throat.

The giantess proceeded to the next tower, concealing herself under the cover of night.

-

Kara was back at it, standing near the stage in hopes someone would ask her to a dance. Even if it meant just one dance, she’d take it. Amongst the crowd came Liam, looking dashing, with his long hair flowing and pristine uniform.

“Kara, Kara, Kara,” he said. “How are you enjoying this evening?”

She lit up when Liam walked straight to her and started speaking. Eyeballing the other women standing beside her, she could sense their disdain that a desirable soldier was speaking to the runt of the group instead of them. Kara perked up, unable able to hide her joy and happiness. A smile stretching from ear to ear. This was the moment she was waiting for all night. A chance to dance, and with Liam, no less.

“Liam!” She hugged him. “I’m doing wonderful. The party is so much fun. How are you?”

“Can’t complain. Had a few drinks, and feeling ready to let loose.”

“Great!” Her hands were behind her back. She twisted her hips back and forth, eagerly waiting for Liam to make his move. “Umm, hey, if you have some time—I mean, if you want…do you maybe want to dance?”

“Dance?” He asked, almost dazed. “With you?”

“Of course, silly.”

He let out a light laugh, “oh Kara, you know I would, but…” He lowered his voice into a whisper, “I can’t let the others see me dancing with you. How would that look?”

Kara’s happiness and joy vanished, but her smile remained. A forced gesture to hide her real emotions. “I don’t understand.”

“You’re too small. Everyone would make fun of me. I mean, they’d make fun of us. The guys in my squad would not let it down.”

“Oh, yeah.” She said. “I’m pretty short, I guess.”

“Really short.”

“Yea, it won’t be a good look for us.”

It took a great deal of power to appear unfazed by the rejection. She felt the eyes from the other women, questioning to themselves if Kara really thought Liam would ask her to dance. Liam seemed oblivious to Kara’s subtle mood change.

“The reason I’m here,” he said. “Is because the Colonel is asking for you.”

“Me?”

“That’s right, Kara Kaczka, it sounds important, because they want me to escort you to him.”

“Am I…am I in trouble?”

“No, of course not. Actually, they didn’t tell me why they want you, other than it was urgent. The Colonel doesn’t punish civilians, anyway. Come on, let’s head over there and get it over with.”

The percussion became louder, the beating of the drums more rhythmic. People clapped in step with the thundering beats of the new song being played, drowning out conversations and the normal chatter in the party. Musicians struck large drums that sent mini shockwaves throughout the revelers.

Kara gestured to Liam that she was going to take one last sip of her wine, before joining him to see the Colonel. Walking to the nearby table, she grabbed the glass and took one last sip, still leaving a copious amount of red liquid behind. Small stature meant less drinking. Setting the glass down, an odd phenomenon caught her attention. Circular ripples manifested in the wine, colliding inwards. At first, she thought it was the rhythmic booms coming from the drums, causing the ripple in the wine. But the liquid wasn’t dancing with the music.

She felt something under her feet. She felt booming coming from the ground, booms that weren’t synchronized with the music. These booms grew more pronounced, causing her to be alarmed by what she sensed, but it seemed like everyone else was oblivious.

The drums were struck harder. The people danced harder. Alcohol filled everyone’s veins, and the joy of the festivities consumed everyone like a virulent outbreak. Amid this blissful celebration, Kara stood motionless. The booms she felt and heard were coming from an entity outside the plaza. Instinctually, she wanted to run—escape. But the profound fear she felt was overpowering.

“Kara, what’s wrong?” Liam shouted over the music. “Let’s go.” Yanking on her arm.

Her eyes filled with terror as she looked at him, and Liam knew that something was dreadfully wrong.

The skeletal remains of a lookout tower flew overhead, clearing the plaza and striking shops and residencies one street over. The timber logs that made up the tower pierced through the buildings, sending detritus, glass, and other material exploding outwards. A delayed wave of reactions swept through the crowd in the square, starting with confusion and ending in panic.

Kara did a 180, from looking at the destruction to its source. Though the source was unknown, she knew what to expect. Just outside the glowing lights of the plaza, within the darkness of the night, came down a booted foot. It came crashing down upon a row of shops that lined the plaza, flattening two small shops into a compacted heap, about four feet high. Kara’s heart skipped a beat. She followed the boot up the creature’s long legs, torso and, finally, head. The giant leaned in close, looking at the hundreds of townspeople staring back at her, the light finally reaching her height and illuminating her furious face. The band stopped playing, and then the ear-piercing screams of frightened people soon replaced the sudden silence.

-

“Oops, did I crash your party?” Jennifer asked. “Is this a party for killing my friends? Or is this party for murdering my fiance?”

Jennifer felt her face turn red, thinking back on all the blood spilled by these miniature demons. She knew none of them understood her, but she had to say it. Had to let them know, “I’m here for revenge.” Taking a step into the plaza, her left foot flattened a table full of food and drinks. The action was enough to break the crowd’s trance and send them running in all directions away from her.

Looking into the fleeing crowd, she could see military personnel intermingled with civilians. She wasn’t above killing civilians, but wanted to prioritize neutralizing the military—as they had the potential to fight back. She swung her right foot into the plaza, aiming it and crushing two soldiers in one stomp. The crowd went mental. They darted into the streets or took refuge in buildings. The throngs of Lilliputians scattered away from Jennifer like insects. The musicians on the stage abandoned their instruments and leapt off, making a run for it.

Jennifer’s eyes located some Lilliputians dressed in fanciful clothes, to include one military man that looked like the pompous one at the beach, with his white uniform and shiny metals on his chest. She chose him next. Without regard to anything underfoot, Jennifer trampled over Lilliputians and tables as she made a beeline for the high-ranking officer.

-

Kara was on the verge of vomiting. She saw people disappear under the boots of the giantess, their bodies offering no resistance to her footfalls. It was complete pandemonium. People ran together, trying to put as much distance as they could to the furious giant. They bumped and tripped into one another. Some jumped under the tables. Others jumped over them, knocking cups and plates out of the way.

“Kara, Kara, let’s go!” Liam’s voice broke through her trance and became clear.

The giantess was so big. Much more imposing than she imagined. The top of the giant woman’s head soared high above the Town Hall, a building that had always made her feel so small. The footsteps from the giantess were something else. Each boom was enough to make the earth lurch upwards, like a spring.

Liam hooked his arm under Kara’s and yanked her away from the giantess. Kara’s legs were not cooperating with her; she felt like a newborn horse. The giant’s foot swung over their heads. Kara screamed so hard, her lungs emptied in a second. The foot passed and landed right in front of them, crushing 4 people in an instant. Liam and Kara collided with the heel of the boot, as they couldn’t stop the momentum of their run.

“You okay?” Liam asked.

“I think so.”

“We need to find the Colonel. Maybe he wanted to talk to you, because he knew the giant would show up. Or does that sound crazy?” he asked.

“Not crazy. I think I know why he wanted to talk to me.”

The giant lifted her foot and took another step into the crowd, further into the plaza. Kara made the mistake of looking into the footprint left by the giant—this time, she vomited.

“Damn it.” Liam said. “I she’s going where we need to go. The Colonel’s table is over there. Kara, come on.” He yanked on her, pulling her around the giant footprint, which contained the flattened remains of her kinsmen.

Kara's little legs propelled her as quickly as possible. Other people were running in the opposite direction as soon as the giant stepped in front of them. Kara and Liam were the only ones running towards the giant.

“He should be on the other side of the stage.” He shouted.

The giantess plowed through the wooden stage with ease. She was transfixed by something. Kara looked up at the backside and marvelled at her stature. Such a large thing, moving with so much speed and grace it defied logic. The clothing that wrapped around the giantess was unlike anything they had available. It showed off the giant woman’s ample rear, which was enough to crush the stage single-handedly.

The giant woman leaned down and snatched up three people in her fingers. She lifted them to her face and said something in her strange language.

“No, no, no, she’s got Colonel Voss!” Liam shouted, seeing his superior in his distinct uniform, between the grasp of the giantess.

“Liam, we have to get out of town.” Kara pleaded. “She wants to destroy us all.”

“But I have to take you to the Colonel.”

They were standing off the giant’s left side. They could see her profile and the three squirming people in her fingers. The Colonel and two others that were next to him when the giant snatched them. The giant was squatting, holding her victims in front of her.

“She’s going to eat them.” Kara said.

“What?”

“Please Liam, we have to go.”

“No, we can’t let them die like that.”

Once again, Liam yanked her arm, her petite body facing no choice but to follow. Kara didn’t have the courage to look up at the giantess as she toyed with her victim. She couldn’t bear witness to her greatest fear being played out in front of her eyes. She could only divert her gaze or shut her eyes, but she couldn’t mute the sounds of the victims screaming from high above. Nor could she mute the sounds of the giant woman swallowing.

“Oh gods, please, this can’t be happening.” She bursted out in tears. Three voices silenced and three gulps later, the giantess stood back up. She felt the giantess looming over them.

“This way,” Liam said. He dragged Kara into an alley between two buildings.

Citizens of Verdant Vale evacuated the plaza and were fleeing into the streets and alleys away from the giantess. They either ran or took their chances hiding in buildings. Unfortunately for some, some buildings collapsed under the giant woman’s footfalls. She wasn’t following roads, nor was she trying to keep the destruction to a minimum. Her behavior and movements were capricious and allowed for maximum devastation.

“She’s right behind us!” Kara shrieked. They spilled out into the streets as a group of four people bumped into them. They shoved each other out of the way, not bothering to help each other. Everyone had a free-for-all type attitude as they attempted their escape.

Liam dragged Kara over to a shop as the giantess moved two streets over. He kicked open the door to a bookshop and pulled Kara inside with him. “I just need to catch my breath,” he gasped.

Kara nodded and only then realized how frantic her heartbeats were. She gasped for air, her breaths shallow and rapid. She screamed when looking out of the shop and across the road. A store was being actively crushed by the giant woman’s boot. This caused people hiding in nearby buildings to run outside, in fear that their hideaway was going to be crushed. Kara witnessed some of these people being plucked up from the street. The giantess was snatching them up by the two- or three-folds.

“Please no, please no. Don’t do it.”

Kara heard the deep Glucks of the giant woman swallowing. Kara fainted as the giantess devoured the people she had just saw running for their lives. Liam caught her tiny body and tried to bring her to.

“Kara, Kara. Wake up, please. We have to keep moving.”

Kara’s eyes had rolled up in her socket. The fear was too great. Deep down, she knew she was next. She was going to be eaten alive. She was going to end up in a pool of acid, only to die in the dark, in agony, and melt away into nothingness. The giant was merciless. By the end of the night, Kara knew she was going to be one of the many victims of the giant woman’s digestion process.

“Liam, what are we going to do?”

“Fight back! We have ballistas set up on the chapel’s roof. I need to reach it and shoot this bitch down. Come on, let’s get going.”

“I can’t—I can’t do this. I’m too scared.”

“Okay, stay here then.”

“No, wait.” Kara definitely didn’t want to be by herself, so she quickly changed her mind. “Don’t leave me by myself. I’ll come.”

-

Jennifer took the town by surprise, and it showed through their military’s readiness. What few archers greeted her, were hardly a nuisance. She’d already eaten two of them and smashed three others with her fist. Jennifer gobbled up or crushed under boot any Lilliputian she saw in a uniform. She was full in no time. She had ten Lilliputians crammed in her stomach, stacked on top of each other, fighting for air and trying to stay afloat above the stomach’s acidic bile. Her movements throughout the town cause the contents of her gut to be tossed and shoved around like a washing machine.

Jennifer found barrels of beer at the plaza and helped herself to a few drinks. The barrels were slightly larger than a shot glass, so she pounded several barrels to get a good drink in. She smiled, knowing that she was coating any living Lilliputian in her stomach with their festival beer.

Her revenge on the town was a walk in the park. The little beings were terrified and defenseless against her. She got the retribution she craved after Sarah died in her arms.

But why didn’t she feel any better?

She kicked a building, peeled and tossed thatched roofs, and shouted at the Lilliputians under her. They were pathetic with their retreat and fearful screams. One Lilliputian tripped and fell on his back while trying to flee from Jennifer. She saw him and grinned. She lifted the sole of her boot over him while keeping her heel on the ground. Jennifer could only see the top of his head over the toe of her boot. She brought it down slowly, eliciting a scream and his hands to clasp together as he begged. A gesture that gave her a slight pause.

Jennifer set her foot down—besides him, leaving him relatively unharmed.

“Beg.” Jennifer said. “Beg for your people’s forgiveness.”

She pointed at her boot, curious if the Lilliputian would figure out what she wanted. He sort of got the hint, and got on his hands and knees and started praying to Jennifer. She wanted him to grovel and kiss her boot, but she couldn’t figure out how she was going to communicate that to him, considering the language barrier.

Jennifer lifted her boot again and brought it over to the Lilliputian. It was time to end him. She held the boot up, the sole stained with the remains of his brethren. She wanted to make it quick and stomp his meaningless life away. Do the same what they did to Sarah.

Just one little step. Come on, kill him! The devil on her shoulder said.

Her moral conscious replied with, Killing him won’t bring back Anton and Sarah. You know this.

Jennifer brought both hands up to her head and grasped her hair. She was once again struggling with conflicting thoughts. She wanted nothing more but to level this town and its inhabitants down into the earth. But all the death and destruction so far. None of it felt…right. Revenge didn’t taste as sweet as she imagined.

She brought her foot back.

The Lilliputian looked up at her with tear-filled eyes. He wasn’t sure if he was still alive or dead. The giantess looked down at him with indifferent eyes. He knelt down and continued praying to Jennifer, convinced it made a difference and that the divine giantess showed the rare act of mercy because of his devotion to her.

“Go.” Jennifer said. “Go, get out of here. I’m through with you all.” She pointed off into the distance. Jennifer was done. Her belly was full, and that was good enough for her revenge. The thousands of others in Verdant Vale would have their lives spared. She was done.

-

“Liam. I don’t think we have to do this,” Kara said. They were both on the roof of the chapel. There were two ballistas set up there and ready to fire. “I think she’s going to leave.”

“Doubt it.” Liam said. He turned knobs and levers on the ballista, aiming it at the giantess.

“Liam, what are you doing? Don’t shoot her. She’s leaving.”

“Out of the way, Kara. I will not let that murderous thing leave town alive. I’m bringing her down.”

“Liam, stop!”

He yanked back on the lever, launching a bolt towards the giantess.

Liam was a foot soldier and not a siege weapon operator. He didn’t calibrate it properly, coupled with his inexperience, meant the bolt missed the giant by a large margin. It pierced through a home, causing mild destruction when compared to the giant woman’s destruction up to that point. The giant turned her head and looked right at them.

Liam and Kara stood silently, waiting for her next move. Predictably, she turned and started walking towards them in a straight line.

“Damn it!” Liam shouted. “I got to try the second one.”

There was no way Liam and Kara were going to load the bolt into the ballista themselves. His only option was to move to the second ballista, that was ready to fire.

“Liam, stop, it won’t work.” Kara pleaded. She grabbed him by the arm and tried to pull him off the second siege weapon. “You’re just making her angrier.”

“Get off, Kara,” he shoved her. He turned a few knobs and pushed the weapon into alignment with the giant. In that short amount of time, he could not believe his eyes. The giant was already on top of them. She plowed through countless buildings to reach the chapel without regard to the destruction or lives lost under her boots. The giant woman’s focus was on them and nothing else, especially underfoot, mattered.

There was no way Liam was going to aim and fire the bolt before the giantess made her move. It was hopeless. He jumped from out from the back of the ballista. Kara was in front of him, and the furious face of the giantess was just beyond her—her height clearing the chapel by a wide margin. He made a split-second choice and shoved Kara towards the giantess and then made his way to access the door on the roof. Kara’s sacrifice should give him enough time to escape—or so he reasoned.

-

Every time. Every time I show mercy, these Lilliputians repay me by trying to kill me. Jennifer thought. Why do I let my conscious get the better of me?

The Lilliputians fired a projectile at her that would’ve done significant damage to her. They fired it from the roof of a stone chapel and missed badly. Jennifer made a beeline straight towards them, taking pleasure in demolishing their feeble buildings under her boot. The Lilliputians no longer felt like little victims, like they did a moment ago. They aimed to shoot and kill her when her guard was down. It reinvigorated her to punish and destroy their town. Violence will be met with violence.

The chapel was big, but not as big as Jennifer. The main roof of the structure only came up to her chest. Some spires and ornate architectural elements reached about head-level. Two Lilliputians were on the roof, one military and one civilian in a bright red dress—completely out of place for the situation.

Jennifer prepared to smash the ballista and soldier under her fist when something peculiar happened. The soldier, knowing he was doomed, shoved the little woman in red and made a run for it. How courageous. The woman in red shouted something at the soldier, sounding like a plea. The soldier opened a hatch and was taking a ladder down into the chapel.

Jennifer punched a hole through the chapel wall and felt around inside with her hand. She found the wooden ladder and followed it upwards until she snatched the squirming soldier in her hand. She pulled him out of the chapel and savored his kicking and screaming. This man had no hesitation in killing her, and now that he was in her grasp, he was begging and pleading futilely for mercy that would not come.

-

“Liam, why?” Kara cried. The giantess had him in her fist and was holding him up to her smiling face. “Why did you leave me like that?” She whispered, mainly to herself.

Kara’s heart beat were irregular. She knew what was to come of Liam—and when the giantess was done with him, that meant…

She wanted to run, but her legs betrayed her. She collapsed and cried. It was hopeless. Her greatest fear was about to be actualized. In a moment, her body would soon travel down the giant woman’s throat. Kara didn’t want to see it, but morbid curiosity got the best of her. She looked up and saw the giantess had stripped Liam nude and was toying with him.

“Not very gentlemanlike,” the giantess said. “A hero would’ve protected their girl, not shove her towards a predator in order to save his own skin.”

The giantess manipulated her grip on Liam so he was hanging upside down by the ankle. He shouted and cried for help. Seeing Kara still on the roof, he pleaded with her. He said he was sorry and asked her to run and get help.

“Why, Liam?” Kara cried. “Why did you leave me…?”

Liam’s cries were renewed when the giant woman’s mouth opened wide below him. The dark, wet pit was ready to welcome his body.

“I’m kinda full, but I think I can squeeze you in.”

-

Jennifer released her grip on the cowardice soldier and felt his warm body land with a splat on her tongue. She shut her mouth and started tasting every inch of his body. So good! Once Jennifer made it home after this nightmare, she knew it was going to be difficult to find something as tasty as a Lilliputian. There was just no comparison to anything else. She salivated over the ambrosian body and sucked it like candy. Finally, she shoved his body flat on her tongue. With his head facing her throat, she then tilted her head back. First, letting gravity do its thing; and then letting her esophageal muscles take over and guide his pathetic body the rest of the way to her stomach.

“Ahh.” Jennifer moaned. Another satisfying morsel down the hatch.

Jennifer looked down at the roof and was semi-surprised to see the woman in red still there. She was on her knees and crying.

“What are you so upset about? Was he your husband or something? Trust me, I did you a favor.”

-

It was time. The giantess was going to eat her next. She was going to be with Liam soon and the giantess will digest them together.

Two giant fingers, longer than her body, lifted her up in the air. It was already dizzying being on the roof of the chapel and seeing the town from so high up. But it was another thing being lifted in the air even higher by a giant. The giant woman’s attention was solely on her. Her enormous face magnified and only a few feet from where she dangled. She was terrifyingly beautiful. The air felt so breezy and cool from up so high. Kara’s tiny hands gripping to the fingers in fear she was going to be dropped.

“Oh, haha, look at you,” the giantess said. “You’re so adorable. So tiny and cute in that dress. Y’know, I’m really full, but you’re so small! I definitely can make some room for you.” She licked her lips mockingly.

Kara whimpered. It was beyond surreal. In a manner of seconds, she’ll be entering that disgusting mouth where so many of her kinsmen had entered and never returned. Tears were running down her cheeks in an endless stream. She prayed to the gods for some divine intervention.

“That dress is so cute on you! It makes you look like Little Red Riding Hood. I guess that makes me the big bad wolf, hehe. I’ll let you keep the dress on when I eat you. Y’know, for the lore and all.” The giantess moved her wrist back and forth and admired Kara’s petite body. “Enough chitchat. Down you go.”

The giant’s mouth opened. Strings of saliva webbing inside her mouth. The giantess was salivating in anticipation of tasting her tiny body. Closer, she moved to the mouth. With sheer willpower, Kara mustered all the strength in her body and focussed it in her tiny lungs. She took a deep breath and shouted:

“Please! Don’t eat me!”

The giant woman stopped moving Kara towards her mouth. She then moved her body away from her face and lifted her so that Kara was eye-level. The giant squinted quizzically at her. There were thoughts churning in her head.

“Wait.” The giantess said. “Did I just hear you? Do you speak English?”

“Yes.” Kara answered.