- Text Size +

Meanwhile Colleen’s nostalgic dream of her experience with Stanley in the meadow on earth continued, albeit with more unexplained verbal interruptions. She dreamt that she and Stanley had failed to find any leprechauns. So she casually announced to Stanley that she had expected such an outcome, and would use her contingency plan of eating Stanley himself instead. She went ahead with it, and soon swallowed Stanley for a picnic treat. Then she heard another voice, although Stanley still didn’t seem to have heard anything other than her words to him. He certainly hadn’t reacted.

“Tim, I like the idea of a giantess having a shrunken guy and basically telling him she's going to eat him, and his only choices are to get with the program and accept his fate, or deny it to the bitter end. Either way she gets what she wants.”

This was a third voice, neither of the two that she’d been hearing during her search of the meadow with shrunken Stanley’s assistance. Then she heard another response from the voice who had previously replied to a Nathan Ural.

“Thank you, Brother Zeke. That’s the part I love over and over again myself.”

Colleen awoke and thought that the dream was rather confusing. She remembered chasing an actual leprechaun who’d come upon the scene, while Stanley had gotten away. She had experienced other encounters with him in real life, and finally caught him and eaten him as a giantess, after he had found his way into her world. What she was unaware of was that all of this was the result of a timeline having been rewritten by the leprechauns’ use of the Ring of Reversal. Somehow she had been dreaming of the events of the original timeline. Although she didn’t know this, neither in her dreams nor while awake. Her memories had been reset by the alterations that had been made to the timeline. (See several chapters throughout Book 1 “To Catch a Leprechaun” for all of the details.)

To Colleen, the dream she had just had was just that, nothing more than a dream. She was now a giantess, and had no idea that she had once eaten Stanley much earlier, on earth. She only remembered having eaten him as a giantess. She could make no sense of a dream about having done it earlier on earth, and considered that it was just some sort of wish fulfilment. She remembered the times on earth, when she had dreamt of eating leprechauns. This had been long before her invention of the shrinking device and her discovery of any real leprechauns to confirm their existence. Her dreams had been all she’d had to get by on. As it was, she felt a greater sense of satisfaction at having caught Stanley for the last time, so much later in the piece, and having gobbled him down as a giantess, after he thought he’d escaped that outcome forever by restoring his size.

The one thing that she couldn’t make any sense of was the presence of three arbitrary voices giving a running commentary on her dream self’s version of events. Who were Tim, Nathan and Zeke, and what was their interest in what her dream self had been doing? They seemed to highly approve of Stanley’s alternate fate as it had occurred in the dream? This fascinated Colleen immensely.