- Text Size +

“If there is, I wouldn’t know how or where to find it,” said Tim, “Sadly, Brazil was also a hot spot for the pandemic virus. By Christmas time, Jessica had caught the virus, and died of it in a Brazilian hospital. For a year, I simply grieved, and then I started writing your story, came out of my early writing retirement and published it where the secret community could see it. The voices you’ve been hearing are the comments made in reviews by some of the readers.”

“Some of the readers?” asked Colleen, “I think I’ve only heard three of them so far, and you.”

“The rest have been affectionately known as ‘lurkers’,”  said Tim, “The first book ‘To Catch a Leprechaun’ deals mainly with your time in Ireland, and as of today has 92463 readers and 22 reviews by the 3 people you’ve heard. The second book, ‘To Giant Realms and Beyond’ has 7586 readers and one review by Brother Zeke, although it goes for around 100 chapters too, and not many of them have been published yet, while some readers are still discovering the first book. The very conversation we are having in your dream right now is part of a third book, entitled ‘I Dream of Giantess’.  None of it has been published yet, as it exists only as a manuscript on my computer.”

“Maybe I do exist in another dimension, not just across the warps between earth and this giant land, but across a warp that leads to an entirely alternate earth,” said Colleen, “Perhaps you’ve just tapped in on that somehow and made use of it, the same way I’ve tapped in on your fans’ reviews in my dreams.”

“There is some fictional precedent for that in the writing of certain comic books,” said Tim, “So I do not discount the possibility.”

“But what will you write from now on? From the moment that you explained all this to me, you might have inadvertently short circuited your ability to continue the series with any subsequent chapters?” said Colleen.

“I felt that that might be coming to a close anyway. I was largely just introducing scores of new characters into plots that began to retool old ideas,” said Tim.

“That Jessica seems to have left the most significant impression on you, and she hasn’t had a mention yet,” said Colleen.

“She was my own special memory, up to this point at least,” said Tim.

“But your readers will get up to this chapter where you’ve told me about her,” said Colleen, “Don’t you think they’d like to read about your letters to and from her? Authors have sometimes had their letters published posthumously in sell out books. In this case, you’re still alive, and there might well be a market of people who’d like to know what you two shared, especially given the rarity of the subject matter and the way it would appeal to their common interest. Perhaps it could even be considered essentially selfish not to share those memories, and make her legacy count for nothing,” said Colleen.

“I suppose I could think about it,” said Tim, “Although much of our exchange got lost in an email account. I’d only have the bits I copied into a document and kept.”

“It might even augment your grieving process in some positive way,” said Colleen, “I don’t grieve anyone I’ve eaten, but in your case, you’re dealing with grief for someone who never got the chance to shrink you and eat you. Maybe she’d be happy for you to share it with your readers. And if they talked about them in that reviewing process, I’d be able to hear the discussion almost every time I fell asleep.”

 

So taking the counsel of a giantess whom Tim believed he had only created as a character in a work of fiction, he began to release…

Chapter End Notes:

Chapter 45 begins:     The Secret Letters of Tim & Jessica.