- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Emily's participation in the experiment continues, leading to a precarious situation for David...

“So… any plans for the rest of the day, Emily?” Caitlin asked, trying to strike up conversation to ensure she didn’t find too much open amusement for David’s situational horror.

“Well, we have a home-game today. Not really looking forward to it, I pulled a muscle last practice and it’s still a little sore…” Emily responded, flexing her foot as she shifted the muscle around.

“I see. If I recall correctly, you play softball, am I right?’ Caitlin continued, reading her notes.

“Yeah, I’m a center-fielder. It’s a lot of running and it’s definitely not easy, but I love it. Kind of grounds me to have a sport, you know?” Emily replied, thinking fondly about her memories of growing up with softball.

“I’m slightly familiar, my sister used to play way back in the day. I must say… it intrigues me that you play sockless, as you mentioned in your intake form. Do you not get blisters, or even worse, athlete’s foot?” Caitlin inquired, genuinely curious of Emily’s foot condition.

“Well, on the blisters? I think my feet are just so calloused from doing this that they’re protected against them. I don’t really recall a time I've gotten one since high school.” Emily remarked, tapping her feet as she talked.

“As far as the athlete’s foot goes, I’ve never had it as far as I know, but it doesn’t stop people from thinking that with how bad they smell. My coach is practically begging me to throw these shoes away because of how it affects the girls in the locker room but… at this point they have to be lucky, right?” Emily giggled, looking fondly at her practically-destroyed ASICS.

“Yes, being brutally honest, your odor is by far the most potent of the three, and that’s saying something in comparison to our previous attendee. But it’s invaluable for our research, and we’ll make sure you’re well compensated.” Caitlin assured.

“Fine by me. What’s a little sweating for a good pay-day?” Emily laughed, Caitlin following suit as the two shared a friendly glance…

-

David couldn’t stop coughing and sputtering, desperately trying to get the putrid thick substance out of his mouth. The taste of Emily's week-old toejam lingered on his tongue, sending waves of disgust and nausea coursing through his body. He continued to retch, his stomach heaving as he fought to expel the repulsive flavor.

As he struggled to regain his composure, David realized the dire situation he was in. He was trapped beneath Emily's foot, suffocating in the oppressive heat and overwhelming stench of her sweat. Every breath he took was tainted by the noxious fumes, making him gag even more.

He’d been trapped underneath her foot’s ball for what felt like hours, and every breath was filtered between her big and second toes. It only got worse when she started to flex her foot, forcing all of the air out of his lungs as it pressed down harshly, his body the barrier against the floor of the box.

Every release of her foot’s pressure incurred a new, involuntary deep breath in, which forced more of the acrid jam, as well as the tainted air, deep within David. He would plead for release, if it wouldn't make things that much worse.

Finally, Emily’s foot lifted off of David, granting him momentary reprieve as he hoped this spelled the end of her portion of the experiment, sparing him from continuing torture.

Unfortunately, the foot wasn’t leaving.

*SLAM*

David groaned in pain, as the foot rapidly slammed down with impossible force onto his midsection.

*SLAM*

He winced, once more feeling his insides shift as the immeasurable pressure bored down upon him.

*SLAM*

“WHAT IS SHE DOING?!” he screamed, once again feeling his body flatten under the colossal foot…

-

Emily started idly tapping her feet, growing bored with the monotony of the experiment. Her thoughts wandered to the excitement of the later game she’d be playing, hoping she could prove her mettle against the rival team, the Brentworth Tigers, from the neighboring town. She was eager to showcase her skills as a center-fielder and contribute to her team's victory.

Unaware of the hellish torture she was inflicting on her best friend, she continued to tap her foot, starting to tap to the rhythm of the song-of-the-week playing within her head. She could feel the layer of sweat cause her foot to slide slickly against the metal box with each tap, and internally cringed at the sensation.

“Alright, I think we can conclude the experiment now, Emily.” Caitlin sighed, noting David’s elevated sensor readings. She didn’t end the experiment for any reason of pity towards the tiny man, no, she simply had gotten the data she needed, and was eager to begin diving into it.

“Phew. Thank god, I was getting a little queasy breathing all that stink in…” Emily awkwardly laughed, starting to lift her clammy feet out of the box.

“Here are your shoes.” Caitlin’s assistant said, handing Emily her pink ASICS, slightly turning away from the horrendous odor emitting from them.

“Thanks.” Emily responded, hooking her fingers into the back of the shoes and lowering them down to the ground as she fully lifted her feet out of the box and into the open, cool air.

 As she held her pink ASICS in her hands, she noticed the evidence of her intense workout clinging to the fabric. The once vibrant color of the shoes insole was now dulled, dampened by the sweat that had accumulated during her years of owning them.

She extended one foot forward, its skin glistening with a thin layer of perspiration. The sensation of cool air against her damp sole sent a shiver up her spine. With delicate precision, she slipped her toes into the waiting shoe, feeling the fabric embrace her foot snugly.

As she lowered her foot into the shoe, the sole made contact with the slightly moist insole, causing a soft squelching sound. The combination of sweat and moisture created a slippery surface, and Emily's foot slid smoothly into place, settling comfortably within the confines of the shoe.

She repeated the process with her other foot, relishing the familiar ritual of preparing for her game. Her second foot slid effortlessly into the waiting shoe, the moist warmth of her skin finding solace in the coolness of the material.

Once both shoes were securely on her feet, Emily proceeded to tie the laces, her fingers deftly maneuvering through the loops. The knot tightened with a gentle tug, ensuring a secure fit that would withstand the trip back to the locker room.

She stood up, wiggling her feet within the shoes and making sure they were a good fit, lifting her feet and tapping the toes of her shoes on the ground as a final test.

“Alright, thanks so much for having me!” Emily chirped, shaking Caitlin’s outreached hand. If she was a little more observant, she’d have noticed a slight look of disdain on Caitlin's face as the sweaty hand made contact with her immaculate skin.

"Thank you for your participation, Emily," Caitlin replied with a forced smile, quickly retracting her hand after the brief handshake. She discreetly wiped her hand on her clothing, trying to rid herself of the lingering moisture left behind by Emily's sweaty palm.

"It was a pleasure having you here. We'll be in touch with the results of the experiment soon, and my assistant here will guide you to the main desk to receive your payment" Caitlin continued, her voice betraying a hint of impatience to conclude the encounter. She motioned for her assistant to escort Emily out of the room, eager to move on to the analysis and interpretation of the data they had collected.

Emily, oblivious to Caitlin's subtle aversion, smiled warmly and waved goodbye before following the assistant out of the room. She walked down the hallway, her shoes softly padding against the linoleum floor, the rhythmic sound echoing in the empty corridor.

As she made her way towards the exit, Emily's mind was still consumed by thoughts of the upcoming softball game, as well as all the food she’d buy with the money she was about to receive.

-

Caitlin sighed, glad to be able to drop the mask she put on when working with her volunteers.

“Finally, all the data has been collected. Well done everyone. Now, if you would, I’d like to be alone as I debrief the subject.” she announced, watching as her researchers nodded and followed the instructions one by one, until the room was empty.

Caitlin stood alone in the now empty room, the silence providing a welcome respite from the demanding experiment. She took a deep breath, her mind buzzing with a mix of anticipation and a tinge of unease. With the researchers gone, she had the opportunity to reflect on the experiment and delve into its implications.

Leaning against a nearby table, Caitlin cleared her throat and began her debriefing speech, addressing the invisible audience that lingered in her imagination, as well as David. Her voice filled the room, resonating with a blend of authority and intellectual curiosity.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have just completed a remarkable experiment. Through our careful planning, meticulous execution, and the dedication of our subject, David, we have gathered an extraordinary set of data. The physiological responses and vital readings we have captured offer invaluable insights into the effects of extended exposure to intense foot odor and sweat."

She paused, trying to find the words that fit her continuing monologue.

"We have witnessed the human body's remarkable adaptability to extreme conditions, the strain it can endure, and the remarkable resilience it can display. The sweat-soaked environment within the box, the suffocating heat, and the overpowering stench created an unimaginable sensory experience, pushing the boundaries of human endurance." she continued, pacing back and forth as she spoke with glee.

Caitlin's eyes flickered toward the monitor displaying the vitals. To her surprise, the readings were still peaking, indicating an unexpected anomaly. A furrow formed on her brow as she approached the monitor, scrutinizing the data.

As she analyzed the vitals, Caitlin's gaze drifted towards the box that had contained Emily's feet during the experiment. Her eyes widened in alarm when she realized that David was no longer inside.

“Oh.” she mouthed, realizing immediately what had occurred. A slight smirk overtook her face, and she turned to the monitor displaying the readings…

Chapter End Notes:

David has gone missing. Where could he possibly be?