- Text Size +

White light flooded Joshua’s vision once more as he brought his head from the mirror, watching as Amelia’s view of the great black stone disappeared. “I don’t know what to say,” he was in shock. From his time in the Temple he knew at least some of the story was a lie, but this? If this is truly what happened then the Temple’s version is a total fabrication! He looked up at the giant who brought him here, her eyes narrowed in anger, the golden specks shining bright, “They killed her. For the crime of not putting up with their abuse. And they get rewarded for it! Now, half of you mortals think Sophia’s the supreme angel, second only to the Great Mother herself! For her neglect, she accrued more power than she already had.”

Joshua winced, “Well, that sounds like religion, in my experience. The awful ones get the power, then they’re given more when it’s revealed just how bad they really are.”

Ylagog sighed at this, “It doesn’t have to be this way. Your little cult may empower the Seraphim, but they’re not the only ones with power or agency.”

Joshua guessed where she was going, though he was shocked to realize it, “By the stars. You want to finish what Jessamine started, don’t you!?”

The woman looked down at him, her eyes shimmered again, “Down Sophia’s path you will be oppressed. You will suffer, all for the control of mortal women and men who use your faith against you. They don’t care about honoring Sophia! They’re just scared she’ll return to smite more if they turn from her. Jessamine wanted control, too, but she also wanted you to live rich, full lives. She offered a deal, a trade. Sophia demands your obedience for the reward of being allowed to obey her.”

“And… you want this, too?”

“I can guide humanity to greatness. I know all. I will help you accomplish feats your little brains can’t even comprehend.

Joshua was uncertain. Ylagog was a sight better than Sophia, but it seems all angels are capable of terrible acts. Will she keep to the path of a gentle, guiding hand or will she inevitably crush humanity under her heel if they stray from her?

“Do you want me to swear I will protect you? Will that help show I am committed to you mortals?”

Joshua looked down, thinking. Soon his head turned back up, “You mean a Pact? Yes, it would.”

“I will want your cooperation. We will use your bloodline to undermine the Keepers. You may find yourself with many enemies in this fight. Are you willing to accept that?”

“…Yes.”

The Luminary plucked up the man suddenly, pinning him between her thumb and index finger. She brought her other hand to her heart and uttered an incantation in the ancient language. Then, she made her promise,

“I Ylagog, Luminary, angel of forbidden knowledge, do swear upon the word of the Great Mother that I will protect and guide humanity to its highest potential, forever and ever until the end of the species.”

The world around them shook. “I Joshua, barber, do swear upon the venerable High Saint Amelia that I will assist the Luminary Ylagog in deposing the Council of Angels and their mortal lackeys. I do witness and honor this pact!” Once more the world shook, this time violently. Ylagog gently squeezed Joshua in her hand, “Thank you, little one. Now, we have work to do, don’t we?” Suddenly, they whisked away to the spot he landed on when he was summoned here. “I will return you to your village,” She said as she dropped him to the floor. “Await a package from me. It will tell you where we shall begin.”

Joshua stood a bit away from the angel, her tone betraying a gleeful sadism. “Ylagog, we won’t hurt too many humans, right? Just the angels?”

The woman looked down in annoyance, “We must act against the humans. They empower the angels. Many will die by the time we are finished. I would have thought you realized that when you swore to help.”

Joshua’s stomach dropped, “B-but you promised to protect humans!”

Her eyes flashed, “No, I promised to protect humanity. The concept. All of you as a group are mine to defend. Individuals, many will perish for the benefit of the rest.”

“Ylagog, I can’t do anything that would--”

“MORTAL. You swore. Will you defile the name of your creator by disobeying me?”

Joshua cowered at her voice, “NO! No, great Luminary, I will obey you.”

Ylagog patted him on the head with her finger, “Good boy. Now, go back to your library. I’ll be in touch.”

She didn’t wait for him to stand up straight as she snapped her fingers, Joshua feeling dizzy and his vision grew dark. Suddenly, his eyes adjusted to the library. He was sitting there, as he had before he fell into Ylagog’s clutches. An attendant, watching a clock on the wall, motioned to Joshua that his time was up. He stood, legs shaky with fear, and stumbled out of the meditation room, back to his home.

As he approached his humble abode just above his barber shop, he nearly tripped over a package left in front of the door. It was a parcel about the size of a shoe box, with a letter tied to the top. He picked it up, whatever was inside was heavy and uniform. Once he got home, he took a massive swig of rum, trying to drown out his lingering dread and terror at the divine knowledge he was given, and what it had cost him. I may hate the angels and the Keepers, but the way she… demanded my total obedience. Is she any better, truly? He couldn’t bear to decide, so instead he finished the rum bottle and tore open the package. Inside was a large, flat stone. Pitch black in color, it was shiny enough that Joshua could see his face reflected in the glistening rock. The stone was adorned with a rune on the side, painted in blood. Confused, he opened the attached letter, realizing that his life was about to get much more interesting:


Dear Joshua,

I hope you enjoy my sculpture! Rock carving is a wonderful way to pass the time. Please, feel free to gift this stone to your local Shepard. I’m sure she’d love to see it displayed at the altar of her Temple!

Mother light your path,

Miss Y.