- Text Size +

I opened my eyes in darkness. It was…warm. No, hot. I became aware of a rhythmic thumping sound. Music. I tried to reach out but found myself restrained by a stretchy fabric right in front of my face. It was below me, too. At my back was soft, yielding…skin? Oh. Shit, I’d fallen asleep in Mika’s bra?!

In my defense, she was very cozy.

I reached into my pocket and pulled out my new phone. It had taken ages, but I’d finally been able to get my hands on a used phone my size. Some big was selling it on eBay as a collector’s item. If only they knew who bought it from them. I turned it on. Predictably, I had several messages from Mika.

Mika: Hey in there. We’re in line. Don’t squirm, I feel suspicious already!
Mika: We’re moving!! You doing ok? I barely feel you. Everyone in line is so cool, I’m not sure I belong here
Mika: Nearly at the front. Where are youuu
Mika: WE’RE IN. And you are definitely asleep lol. If this bad EDM doesn’t wake you up I will find a way

Still trying to un-wedge my right arm, I started composing a reply with my other thumb. Before I could finish, I felt a gentle but insistent tapping on my hip, as though someone was prodding me with a pool noodle. Mika was trying to wake me up. I cut the message short and hit Send.

Lily: I’m awake!!
Mika: Oh thank goodness. You ok? Need anything?

I had both hands free now, and our conversation continued more smoothly.

Lily: All good in here. I should sleep in your bra more often. Sooo well rested. Could use some A/C though.
Mika: It’s all your fault. I don’t usually sweat like this. Oh looks like the opener is coming on soon. I’m gonna try to get to the front.
Lily: Yessssss thank you

I felt each of Mika’s footsteps, each change in direction as she picked her way through the crowd. Thump, thump, thump went the bassline, a little louder with each step. I turned off the phone screen, and as my eyes adjusted I could see a faint blue glow coming from overhead. I was able to raise myself to my knees, grabbing handfuls of Mika’s sports bra to pull myself up. With my head up and over the top, suddenly I could hear more than just the bass, and the glow was brighter through her thin white shirt.

Gently I pressed my head against the fabric, and the world resolved into blurry shapes. Shadowy figures passed to either side as Mika made her way towards the stage, where bright lights pulsed and swept in time with the music. Then it occurred to me that someone might be able to see a tiny face outlined on Mika’s shirt. I backed off.

A moment later I was jolted sideways, losing my grip, falling headfirst between the softness of Mika’s breast and the confining stretch of the bra. I heard muffled words from nearby, what could only be a man saying “sorry, sorry!” Mika’s usually-gentle voice boomed in response – my ear was pressed against her chest and she was shouting to be heard above the music. “It– it’s okay! My fault!”

It was almost certainly not Mika’s fault.

Mika: are you okay?
Lily: I’m OK. Are you? People suck
Mika: I’m fine. He was like 2ft taller than me, he could probably barely see me lol
Lily: Yeah? Remember who you’re talking to
Mika: Point taken hehe. We’re like 5 people back from the stage, is that OK? I don’t know if I can get closer
Lily: This is perfect love!
Mika: Yay. Love you
Lily: Love u too. Be careful

I took advantage of my position, giving Mika’s breast a big hug to punctuate this last message. Lightly through the fabric, I felt her fingernail run up my back from my waist to my neck, producing a full-body shiver. I heard – felt – her giggle as she noticed my reaction. I hugged harder. Then I heard a cheer erupt from all around us, and the glow dimmed – house lights must be coming down. Showtime!