- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Going to be some build-up here; internal monologue as the Prodigans and Microputians first interact with each other. 

John stumbled out of his and his girlfriend Ashley’s bedroom. He was slightly hungover. He usually would’ve slept a few hours later on Saturday except it sounded like there was a violent earthquake outside. “Honey, what in the fuck was that….”

“Not now, John!”. He didn’t even hear her. He was looking out his penthouse window, admiring the midriff of their fit young Goddess, dominating their horizon. Evidently, she had become bored with the first Microputian she had talked to, and picked up another frequency his own. John knew who it was immediately:

“Was my girlfriend respectful to you?”

The Goddess still seemed friendly. That was a good sign.

“Yes she was. Why wouldn’t she be, little guy?”

“She’s…she’s easily jealous”.

“Oh?”

“You’re very popular with men”.

He covered his eyes with his hands. ‘Open mouth, insert foot’, he thought.

The giantess giggled.

“Don’t worry, I get it. I’m as big as a planet to you guys; the center of all attention”. Oh shit. She could read all his thoughts and not just those he transmitted to her.

“It’s not just men that love you”. He paused. “You saved us”.

“When was that?”

“You don’t remember?!?!?”

“No, not really, you’ve just been in storage to me”.

“Well, your mother wanted to throw us away after you got the wrong package”.

“Oh yeah”

“It may not seem consequential to you, but it saved hundreds of millions of our lives”.

It was incomprehensible to Maddie. She realized she really just didn’t have an accurate sense of the scale she was dealing with. Hundreds of millions of people, just in the little terrarium sitting at hip level to her on her desk???

“I’m glad I did…but I can’t take credit for it. I don’t even remember. I was a child”

“You can and should. But it’s ok- I just want to ask if you can do it again”

…..

John furiously called his boss. He dialed and hung up a half dozen times. The scare that surely everyone had from the interaction with the 4,000 mile giantess hadn’t dented his smooth talking and shit-talking. “Did you call me 6 times to tell me you wet yourself over that girl?” he opens. Smartass.

“No sir. But it’s about her”.

“Oh boy. Does Ashley know you had a wet dream about the giantess? You know how jealous she is”. Another smartass remark.

“Funny you should mention Ashley. We both talked to her”.

“Talked to who?”

“The giantess, Maddie”

“Oh shit. The fear fried your brain, son. How the fuck could you ‘talk’ to her”.

“did you see the cell-phone thing she was holding”

“No, I did get a good view of her camel toe, though”

“She could be your granddaughter- and I’m not even sure we’re the same species. Anyway, we can end this battery problem today”.

“You’re insane”

“Just trust me. Come to my apartment in an hour, and you’ll see”.

……..

Maddie’s parents were on a cruise over Christmas. She had nothing to do until she would go to her grandparents’ house on Christmas day. She was planning on sitting at her desk and watching Netflix, mostly. But now she had plenty to work on. The story the Microputian, John, had told her, was fascinating. They needed her to change out the battery to their civilization. But due to the scale she was dealing with- tens of millions would need to evacuate the region due to the earthquakes that would be caused when she removed and replaced the battery. It was so much responsibility.

A part of her wanted her to run away, to ignore them. However, she had been assured by John that she was only the person that could do the job. It made her uncomfortable how many lives were at stake. Especially, after interacting with two Microputians, she realized that they were 100% the same as Prodigans. They had the same thoughts, at least. She never realized that.

Some Prodigans thought of them as an advanced animal, at worst, or at best, equal but nonetheless different. Like aliens, or something. But it wasn’t true. They were monogamous, they had a similar civic government structure to Prodigans, they had rural and urban areas and a divide. The similarities were eerie. There was one big difference. She had done the math. She was over 4,000 miles tall to them.

Her phone buzzed again. It was John. “Hey John” she said brightly. “My boss is 5 minutes out”. He told her. “John…” she said softly. “I just wanted to apologize if I came across as condescending to you earlier”. He didn’t think so, and wondered why she thought so. “No, not at all. Why do you think so?” he replied. “Well, I’ll be honest with you. It’s how we Prodigans think of you”.  

“Eh, I can’t blame them”. John replied. “Just look at you”.

“I wish I could see what you look like” she replied.

“We’ve got some advanced tech. I think we’ll find a way”. John said.

…..

Chapter End Notes:

Please leave a review; I value the feedback!