- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Chapter 2/4

POV: Alyssa

----------

With my arms crossed and a scowl on my face, I watched the puny creature step out of his jet. I could barely make him out on my desk, he was so tiny. When Maria left with his aircraft, it almost felt as if I were alone in the room. Even with our naturally sharp sight, it was a little difficult to distinguish this certain speck from the dust I carelessly wipe off of my desk. Once my eyes adjusted themselves a little more, I could clearly see the disgustingly confident look on its, or rather, his face. 


We both know it would not take an ounce of effort for me to obliterate him right here and now, but I need him alive, unless I wanted to doom my population along with him. I cannot believe he drove me to such a difficult position. Speaking with a Lilliputian is unheard of, let alone on equal terms. It brings shame to my family and our legacy.


I add this to the growing list of affronts this man is directly responsible for.


Now I speak through grit teeth, struggling to contain my anger towards the speck. I stand at my full height by my desk's edge. I have no doubt he can see the difference between us. It is more important that he knows it. It will set a precedent for how we move forward. I do my best to seem as imposing as possible. If I seem monstrous, that is all the better. Whatever unsettles him can only be a boon.


"Now, now. I am here at your request. Today, we speak as equals. These were the terms of our agreement, were they not? If I am to use your title, you will do the same for me. That is, unless you are unable to put aside your pride for the sake of your people?"


I glare down at the tiny man, hardly able to believe he is the leader of an entire nation. I suppose he had to be, given his confidence while in such a position. Whether he is brave or foolhardy will become clear soon. 


"So what will it be, Your Majesty? Shall we drop the formalities after all?"


This speck forgets himself. Perhaps I was not as intimidating as I had thought? Never before have I been spoken to in such a way, let alone by a mere Lilliputian. It is an unwelcome feeling, to say the least. He tries my patience.


"You may call me Alyssa."


"Alyssa. What a splendid name. I am pleased to finally meet you."


I roll my eyes as I take my seat. We both know how untrue that line is. Neither of us would be here if the situation had no grown so desperate. I would rather not waste time with empty words or pleasantries.


"I would say it is nice to finally speak face to face, but to be blunt, it is not. I assume you feel the same way." 


I pull my seat forward, until my stomach is nearly touching the desk. Placing my hands in my lap, I lean forward in my chair. My actions are deliberate. Now he stands just a few centimeters in front of my chest, which must loom over him like mountains. Mountains, which could rise into the air and crush him at any moment if I simply wanted to.


"Now then, Leon, I suppose I do have to congratulate you. I underestimated you; thought there was no way we could lose against a nation of bugs, but now here I am, forced into negotiations. If you were not my enemy I would have promoted you to my right-hand man for that brilliance. But enough of the hypotheticals, let us focus on reality. I want you to give me the cure to this virus. What do you want in return?"


I watch his smirk slowly fade into a scowl. My words may be disagreeable, but they are straightforward. Any juvenile attempt at banter will not work with me. He knows this, I can see it in his eyes as he glares at me. I return his glare with one of my own as I await his answer.


"You are looking down on me."


"I am, both literally and figuratively. Though, that does not breach the terms of our agreement."


"I wonder how many of my people met their end before a giant looking down on them with that exact look? The thought both infuriates me and breaks my heart."


"I am not responsible for how you feel. Nor do I care, for that matter."


As I say this, I lean forward slightly, getting dangerously close. It must be getting to him by now. I know it would for me, if our positions were swapped.


"Hmph. Is that really how you should be speaking to the one who holds the fate of some many of your people in his 'bug' hands?"


The speck speaks as confidently as ever. There is no fear in his voice that I can hear.


"The way I see it, I have no reason to compromise. Should I decide to leave now, the virus will undoubtably spread until it infects each and every last one of your people. As I speak, the epidemic continues to ravage your cities. Who knows how many more will die? Women? Elderly? Perhaps even some innocent, little children?"


He pauses, letting his threats sink in. It seems he is willing to become a monster to defeat a monster. I admit, my soldiers never hesitated to wipe out entire cities underfoot. He must not feel the need to hold back. He wants to see me break. He wants to see me beg. I will not give him that.


"I would like for you to move back. You behemoths find such sick enjoyment in using your size to intimidate us. Such uncouth behavior from a monarch! Know that I am not afraid, Alyssa. I know that you will not hurt me. Continue these antics, and this meeting will end prematurely."


My face remains unchanging as I listen to his tirade; about how he is in control at the moment, and how much he despises me and my people. I cannot blame him; none of what he said was wrong after all, but I will not just submit quite so easily. Once he has finished speaking, my expression turns to one of annoyance, and instead of listening to his demands, I lean in even closer. It is enough to where my face looms above and my chest almost rolls over him.


"Listen here, Leon. Just because you have the upper hand does not mean you can afford to become careless. You speak of ending the negotiations early and leaving, but how, pray tell, do you suppose you will do that? Your aircraft is in the care of my assistant, and you are completely helpless on my very own desk. Perhaps I cannot kill you, but I can definitely keep you here until I get a satisfactory outcome."


As I begin my sentence, I begin to lean back again, my expression becoming more relaxed as well. I grant him the space he requested, but only after showing him that I do not have to. It is a show of kindness to someone so beneath me, born purely of pity.


"So you would have me become your hostage?"


"Yes. No different that my subjects you have made your own hostages."


He goes silent for a time. 


"Well played, Alyssa. It seems you are more formidable than I previously thought. I am willing to admit that, at least. Fine, then. I am prepared to wait, but time is not your ally. The sick will not last much longer. To think, Her Majesty could not manage to break one, measely Lilli. Better for them to die in ignorance than to know the sad truth."


He shrugs his shoulders and gives me a dirty look, going so far as to point his finger at me.


"How dare you!"


I jolt up from my seat, slamming my hands down on either side of him. Listening to this piece of lint talk back to me has been irritating. I have remained calm thus far, but I can do that no longer. He needs to be reminded just who he is dealing with. 


"My soldiers may be infected, but they will fight to their last breath. Once they learn they have nothing to lose, they will dedicate their final days to eradicating your people off the face of the earth. They will not die until their enemies are completely annihilated, I assure you of that..." 


I raise my right hand from the table and form a tight fist. I bring it to hover over his location. I am not sure where he is standing exactly, but I am confident I will not miss.


"Or better yet, maybe I will kill you, right here and now. All it would take is for me to smash my fist down on you. Its weight alone would suffice, but this will feel far more satisfying!"


"Do what you must! I cannot stop you."


I remain still in that position, in disbelief. He is not bluffing. I am convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that he means what he says. He knows that he is powerless before me, should I choose to go make good on my threats. He is prepared to be destroyed, if it will destroy me in turn. I admire his resolve.


Slowly, I pull hands away and return to my seat. I lean back, adopting my previous position once more. Clearly, intimidation will get us nowhere. I will need to approach this from a different angle. I must not lose sight of what is important.


"Let us perhaps start fresh. There is no reason to let things escalate? After all, this is bigger than us and our egos. We are here to protect our subjects."


My expression becomes visibly more relaxed. I continue to hold eye contact as I comfortably lean back in my chair, curious to see how this conversation will continue.


"For once, we agree on something. There is too much at stake for us to be bickering."


"How about you start us off then, since you seem so confident in your negotiation skills, hmm?"

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading! Please review and let me know what you think. 

You can read the next chapter early on my Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=79288680