- Text Size +

The first recess break came and passed, and Bonnie didn’t come to the old wares stall. Then came lunch break, and the girls’ afternoon of freedom at the fete. He began to wonder if any butterfly effects of his other trips to the past might have altered history enough to change Bonnie’s upcoming acquisition of his new place of residence.

He heard the woman stall owner telling another school mother that she was putting up the sign which said, “Everything now half price.”

“Hey Bonnie, the old wares have been reduced!” came the voice of a schoolgirl.

“She has no idea how true that is!” thought Andy.

He peeked out the window and saw history’s inevitable scenes being played out, as Bonnie Kay and her friend approached the old wares stand. Bonnie saw the Dollshouse and beamed in delight.

“Oh my, just look at it!” she said.

He knew that his only chance was to enact a reversal of the trojan horse motif and stay hidden until Bonnie had taken the Dollshouse home and left him alone to sneak out. History hadn’t mentioned anything about a tiny boy in the Dollshouse, and the new owner of Bonnie’s home in his own time had presumably not known either. Besides, at that point, he hadn’t yet time travelled. So maybe the Bonnie Kay of this timeline was acquiring new memories to be left out of her book even at this moment:

Suddenly she peeked into the Dollshouse window and saw him, before he could find a place to hide. Her beautiful mouth opened in front of him, gaping in surprise, showing him a generous view of her big sparkling tongue.
If it weren’t for the obvious dangers, he would have dived into it for several minutes, before wanting to climb out again, but now he could only gape back at Bonnie.

“Hello little thing. I’ll buy you,” she whispered, and stood back up to pay the stall holder.

“I thought one of the other mothers might buy it and put it in her car,” said the stall holder, “I’ll tie string around it and make a handle with the ends at the top for you to carry it home after school.”

“Thank you,” said Bonnie, “Mother goes away a lot. She wasn’t here today.”

He rode home in the Dollshouse, peeking out the window and up at Bonnie’s distant beautiful face, whenever the streets were empty of anyone else but her. He knew only too well what she would be planning, and knew that his best chance of escaping now, was to do it before she announced that he would be making a guest appearance in her mouth when the time came. He knew he would have a better chance of delaying such an announcement if he told her who he was and attempted to resume the romance that she had begun with him, from her perspective, a year earlier.

She carried the Dollshouse into her bedroom, and put it on her bedside table.