- Text Size +

She’d been sneaking into a disused monastery at night, to find out why people walking past had complained of spooky sounds emanating from the building. Now he didn’t have to approach Bonnie at her own house. If he’d only thought of that before, he would not have needed to wait until he learned her address, in order to justify completing his work on the time machine, he surmised. Bonnie would be turning up to that monastery, with her sleeping bag, and staying the night in the hopes of learning what was making the noises. Having read her book, Andy already knew the answer to that mystery, and had no need to fear that criminal men were involved in the sounds which still remained unexplained to the local pedestrians out for their evening strolls.

Andy took his time machine back home, stocked it with his own sleeping bag, and then time travelled back directly into the gardens of the monastery and waited for Bonnie on the front porch.

He saw her arrive, looking as dainty and fun loving as ever, and waited for her to speak first.

“Hello?” she said, with a definite intonation of curiosity.

“I’m Andy. I suppose I should explain what I’m doing here. I’ve learned that there are strange noises coming from this place at night, and thought I’d hide out and see if I can find out what’s causing them.”

“Why that’s exactly what I’m going to do too. None of my friends are brave enough to join me,” said Bonnie.

That he was scoring points with an unfair advantage of knowledge from the future did not trouble him in the least.

They made their way into the monastery, up the stairs and found that one room had two bay windows with large spaces between the curtains and the windows. Each of them set their sleeping bags up in the spaces, and they talked quietly, until they heard a scuffling noise coming from the room downstairs. The scuffling turned to footsteps, which were soon accompanied by the giggles of teenage girls, who then entered the very room that currently concealed Bonnie and Andy.

“I’ll start,” said one of them, and began making a loud moaning sound, somewhat reminiscent of a lonely animal deprived of its master’s attention.

After all the girls had cycled through their tandem routine a few times, Bonnie Kay stepped ouf from behind the bay window curtain and turned on her torch. Recalling that there was no mention of her being accompanied by a boy on this case in elderly Bonnie Kay’s book, Andy stayed where he was.

“Got you,” said Bonnie, “Now I know who’s been doing this.”

“It’s Bonnie, at it again,” said one of the girls.

They were from her own school.

“Well I won’t say anything to your parents, but this little game of scaring people has gone on long enough. You mustn’t come here again. That way, I’ll be prepared to keep your secret.”

The other girls agreed and departed.

Andy stepped out and said, “You solved another one.”

“That’s a complimentary if rather cryptic remark. Am I becoming known for this sort of thing?” she asked.