- Text Size +

A boy from another school in the neighbouring village went for a camping trip and slept the night at the edge of the high forest. Then the next day, he went walking again and found his way into Edith’s garden through the portal. He walked over to the giant house, found a tiny hole in the wall, and crept into it. The hole opened in a large room. He sat at the edge of the hole and looked up, and saw the beautiful Edith sitting on a couch, knitting. He had not been to her school, when she had lived in the village as a normal sized girl. So he was unaware that she’d once been an Irish girl.

 

He stared at her, wondering what was the point of the journey if he was too shy to step out and introduce himselfed. She would probably never love someone so much younger, even if he had been a giant as well.

She looked down at the material in her lap for a moment, and he thought she might have seen him. However, she continued with her knitting. So he kept staring up at her.

"I'm going to have you for dinner," said the giant woman suddenly, "I saw you five minutes ago."

"Hello," he said.

"I imagine you're planning to run through that hole and attempt to escape in the garden."

"Yes," he admitted nervously.

"Well I intend to chase you through the garden. At my size, I stand a good chance of catching you. You could start running now, and I could put down my knitting and come after you now. However, your chances of escaping me would be just as good, and my chances of catching you would be just as good, if we both stayed where we are until I have finished knitting this section. It would take about an hour, and allow us time to get to know each other. We can talk for an hour or so, and then we'll start the pursuit at a time we'll both agree on. Would you mind waiting for me to finish my knitting, or must I come after you now?"

"I suppose I've nothing to lose by waiting," he said, thinking that it might also give him time to think of a way to improve his chances of escape.

"Thank you. I appreciate it."

He sat there, unable to think of a reply, and watched her lick her lips with her enormous tongue. If he didn't escape, he would soon be on that tongue.

"Well you've taken an enormous risk, because of me. If you do get away, you'll have to consider that reward enough."

"Thank you. At least that's something to look forward to."

They talked about all sorts of things, sharing what they'd done in their lives, and finally the giant woman said, "There, the knitting's all done. If you'd like to take your little short cut through the hole to the garden, I'll get up and run around the long way and see if I can find you."

"Alright. I won't wish you good luck, for obvious reasons."

"I don't think I'll need it," she said, "Off you go."

He ran for his life, and soon saw her come out and search the garden. She caught him in less than fifteen minutes, took him inside and gave him some lunch.

Then she took him to the bed and lay down. He rested beside her neck.

He enjoyed the afternoon with her, and said, "After this, I don't think I have that many regrets."

"Well it's good that you've accepted the inevitable with good grace. You've done the best thing, under the circumstances. The situation doesn't worry me at all, but you've shown a lot of courage today."

"I'm going to try to keep up that courage, when you take me into the kitchen," he said.

"Well I think it's about time to see how you go," she said.