- Text Size +

When the school fair came around again, a 30 year old newcomer to the village named Milton went to the well advertised fair, and made a beeline for the second hand book stall, and selected a few rare old hardcover editions of books about giants and tiny folk, all fairytales of one sort or another.

“You were lucky to find that one,” said a pretty lady, pointing to a novel about giants.

She was slender, and had long dark hair, even facial features, and a sweet look in her eyes.

“Do you like it as well?” asked Milton.

“Yes, I’ve been collecting stories of that subject matter for a while.

“I could lend it to you after I’ve bought it,” he said.

“Thank you for offering. I’m Jenna.”

“My name’s Milton. I moved out from the city to the village recently, and thought this country school fair would be a nice way to spend a Saturday. It also gives me a chance to explore the woods behind the school. I saw the view when I first walked through the grounds today.”

“I happen to know a bit about those woods. I’ll tell you over some morning tea, after we’ve paid for our books, if you like,” said Jenna.

They went out and sat at an outdoor coffee table together, and she told him all about the portal to the giant land and her having moved there.

“I like to return to the school fair, as I’ve done each year, including when I was a teacher here,” said Jenna.

“It would be fascinating to go and see that giant world, but I’d never find the way,” said Milton, “I don’t suppose you could show me.”

It seemed as good an excuse as any to try to set up a date with her, and the thought of seeing her as a giantess was rapidly acquiring an appeal of its own too.

“I could take you there with me tomorrow, if you met me at the school border, where the woods start early in the afternoon,” said Jenna.

“That would be great,” said Milton.

“Just so you don’t get the wrong idea, I’m dating a giant man that I met quite some giant distance away from my new home,” she said.

He tried to hide his disappointment, and hoped he’d concealed it.

“Well I’d just be happy to know how to get to that portal and see the giant land,” he said, “I bought an old cottage, quite a period piece, which is a change from my city life, but I’ve never seen a giant house before.”

“I could meet you at your cottage first, a little earlier. I’d like to see that. I love old places.”

He gave her his address, and Jenna said that she would come around the next day.

When she arrived, he showed her through, and her eyes lit up.

“You have such a beautiful old place here!”

“I’m looking forward to seeing yours too.”

“Of course. We’ll head off now,” said Jenna.

He closed his door and locked his house.