- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:


"Little boy, I realise this is not easy for you, but let me explain something. I went through a difficult time a month ago, and I've been feeling a sadness I've never known before. It was there until I saw you today."

"I'm sorry to hear what you're going through," he said, and then realised that he had been pulled back in time to be a special friend for her, at a time in her life, when she needed him.

"When I picked you up on the log, I knew as soon as I tasted you, that I had something to look forward to. The sadness began to lift, for the first time since it began. This chance to eat a nice little boy like you will give me a lot of pleasure."

He froze in shock at those last four words. Her future self  had said that he would do something to give her a lot of pleasure. He was about to try to talk her out of it, when he remembered her other comment, that to her it was the immutable history. No matter what he said or did, he would end up being eaten by her. There was no point in trying to escape, or trying to discourage her. All he could do was wait while she read the book, and be eaten. Since he could not change it, he resolved to make it as pleasant as possible for her to enjoy.

"I understand," he said, "I hope you enjoy eating me very much."

"I'm sure I will, and you're very polite to say so," she said, and picked him up and kissed him, "Now just rest while I finish the book."

"Could I lie where your shoulder meets the base of your neck?" he asked, thinking it would enable him to see how many pages she had left.

"I'd be happy for you to rest there," she said, and put him there. He enjoyed the comfort of it, and watched her hands. He watched the number of pages to be read dwindling, knowing that his remaining time was dwindling too.

He thought back to the pleasant seeming mystery, which had surrounded her dancing with him and walking in the gardens. He realised now that he had enjoyed those experiences on borrowed time. Now he must pay the inevitable cost. No wonder she had said it was better if she didn't tell him what he would do for her.

She read it, closed the book, put it on the bedside table, and took him gently in her fingers.

"I'm in love with you. Is it too much to ask for you to give me some kisses first?"

She lay down and kissed him for over an hour.

"Are you ready to be eaten now?"

"Yes. Don't be unhappy anymore. Enjoy this meal and look forward to pleasant times ahead."

"Thank you very much. You've been very good natured about this, since we had that little talk before. You didn't interrupt my reading, or try to argue with my decision. You're a well mannered encouraging young boy. If I was much younger, and you were full sized, I'd have considered whether you might be a person for me to go on dating."

"I would have certainly asked you," he said, "You look lovely."

She held him up to her eye and said, "Well you've been very kind to say so, and you look adorably handsome yourself." 

He realised that this was the close look she would need to recognise him in a few years' time at the formal.

"But I'll never have the chance to be with anyone," he said.

"I know, and I'm grateful for what this is costing you. Nothing you might have said would have discouraged me from eating you in a moment, but I will always remember the way you coped with this experience. I'm very fond of you, and I will remember you fondly forever."

This was why she would come to the formal at his university in what, to him, was the first place.