- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Jeannine reflects on her journey with you, the reader…

POV: Jeannine

---------

Looking back, I cannot help but feel proud of how far I have come.

You heard me right. I said 'I', not 'we'. You probably know by now that I do not like talking about myself, but for once, I would like to. That does not mean I am ignoring all the help I have had along the way; far from it! I could not have done any of this without all of them. I owe them so much, not that they would ever allow me to repay it. Saving them was 'gift enough', or so they insist. 

Ahh, I am getting ahead of myself! There is a lot I want to say, and keeping my thoughts in order is difficult. Okay, let me start from the beginning...

Ever since I was a little girl, I have always been very empathetic. I feel the pain of others like it is my own, which is both a blessing and a curse. There were times I wished I could simply not care, or be apathetic towards suffering. It would be easier, that is certain, but it would not be good. I do not expect everyone in the world to be like me, but I shudder to imagine a world where no one cares at all. What a terrible reality that would be.

You might be thinking, 'But Jeannine, that is the world you live in!'. My response to that is, 'I don't see it that way'. I will openly admit that I have felt hopeless, desperate, and even depressed over the way things are. It is also true that Brobs and Lillis have never been very fond of one another. However, I have seen things that give me so much hope, countless times. 

I see it in Nick, who was able to overcome his hatred of my kind, befriending me, and even Sara. It took incredible resolve, not to mention courage.

I see it in Ori, who despite her tormentor, always saw the light, and did everything in her power to make others' lives better.

I see it in Icarus and Daedalus, who made me a part of their experiments and construction projects, pushing me to use my 'destructive' size to protect, nurture, and build.

I see it in Mayor Rin, who scolds and advises me like a wise elder. It does not matter if I am ten kilometers tall or a hundred, I am still just a naive, little girl to her.

I see it in Dr. Lam, who despite all her terrible ideas, acted kindly toward a member of the group she so despises. Actions always speak louder than words.

And I see it in Sara, who recognized her faults and did everything in her power to change. She did not like the person she was, so she changed herself for the better.

The list goes on. If I were to sit here, recounting each and every amazing journey that I have witnessed or been a part of, I would never finish. Before I move on, there is one thing that can be said for all of them. I hold a deep admiration and respect for Lillis, because of how they take care of one another, no matter what they look like or where they come from. I suppose it might be a result of the terrible things their people have been subjected to, but it is something profoundly beautiful. 

It seems as though any time I bring up my people, it is to speak ill of them. You might even think I hate all Brobs, but that is far from true. I do not hate anyone. To hate others is a waste of time and energy, in my opinion. No, I only wish for them to see the light. Their thinking is the result of the upbringing, and that is the result of our culture. Decades upon decades of indoctrination about supremacy simply cannot be overwritten in a day. I used to think that some people could never change, but I was wrong. Sara, Dr. Lam, and even Mom--all of them have the capacity to do it. I have done all I can with the first two, and I belive I made a positive difference. As for Mom, well, she is still a work in progress. It seems like meeting Nick does wonders! Maybe one day I'll introduce her to him... Who knows? Maybe with enough time, I will be able to change her too. And if I can't, well, then no one can say I did not try.

That is another thing I want to talk about, responsibility. Where do I even begin with this one? Let's start with this--I believe that the strong have a responsibility to protect the weak. It bothers me to call Lillis weak, due to their resilience and determination, but their fragility is a fact of life. They are beings so small that one Brob's careless breath can blow them away. Yet, they think and feel no differently than we do. They dream, they love, they struggle, and they suffer, just like us. That is why I find it so odd that Brobs can kill them without a second thought. Small does not mean lesser. Big does not mean greater. Icarus possesses the greatest mind I have ever known, and that is in no way diminished by his size. I wish I had half the intellect he does. Were he my size, he would undoubtedly be one of the most respected members of the scientific community. Instead, he is considered just another Lilli. He was nearly killed and trafficked, for heaven's sake! If the world refuses to protect someone like him, then I will just have to do it myself.

That brings me to my next point about responsibility. Recognizing what you must do is one thing, but it can become a burden if you do not recognize where your responsibilities end. What I mean to say is, I feel responsible for saving every Lilli I come across, but that does not mean I should feel bad when I cannot save all of them. I am only one person. I do what I can, and do not worry about the rest. Case and point, when I visited the pet shop to save my first ten, the shopkeeper picked from a large group. Some were picked, the majority was not. By the time I visited for the next ten, many were likely sold off to other customers. I cannot worry about them, otherwise I might become obsessed with 'what-if's'. Once I have done everything in my power to help, the rest is not my responsibility. It is important to not stretch myself too thin, otherwise, I will be of no use to anyone. Were I less present in the development of their early settlement, things might have ended up very differently. Or had I spent more money that I had available to rescue more of them, I would have begun harming myself. Neither option is a good one, and if I could go back, I would not change a thing.

I am so priviliged to be in the position I am. I am thankful for being born a Brob, not because that makes me 'better' or 'stronger', but because it gives me the power to do so much for others. I am also thankful for being wealthy enough to afford a project like Magna Gratia. Were my circumstances a little different, none of this could have happened. I believe it is important to recognize just how priviliged I am, and to never take anything for granted. My little friends come from varying backgrounds. Some were torn from wonderful lives, while others never saw a single good day. Basic essentials like water and food are readily available for me. I never worry about a roof over my head, or a soft bed to sleep in. Most importantly, I never have to worry about being abducted or crushed by a gigantic, unstoppable person who I could never hope to fight back against. Nowadays, when I am taking a hot shower during a cold night, or enjoying a leisurely walk through the park, I am grateful for all I have. Now, more than ever before.

I should probably wrap this up. You definitely did not come here to listen to me ramble about philosophy or life lessons. Allow me to say a few more things before I say goodbye. I promise I will not take too much more of your time! You probably want some updates on my friends and I, so here they are.

The city of Magna Gratia, and all of its extensions, has become a gorgeous metropolis. Over ten thousand Lillis now call this place home, and it looks like yet another extension will be built soon! I have started a new job at city hall, and while it allows me to keep my apartment, it also keeps me pretty busy. It is difficult work, but I love it so far! All of my little friends are doing just fine, and we keep in touch despite how absent I am during the weekdays. I have occassionally brought one of them with me, but I do not make it a habit. Weekends are always very eventful, as they are the only time I can go shopping for all the materials they need. I do my best to attend city-wide events whenever I can. All in all, things are going great.

On a more individual level, things are just as good. Ori is set to unveil her winter collection next week, and you already know I will be making myself some me-sized versions. Louis is in MG's new school, along with several other kids his age. I hear he is having a good time. Daedalus and Saverine are planning a small wedding in a month, which I am certain will be much bigger than either of them want. Icarus insists he is on the verge of a scientific breakthrough regarding 'flying pods', despite my warnings... 

The most interesting development has to be Sara. She still helps out with MG whenever she is needed, but nowadays she is occupied with her own project. Having rescued some Remnants recently, she decided to make her own 'city in a bedroom', just like the one in mine. Her desire to make a difference turned out to be much greater than any of us expected! That, or she just wanted an excuse to have Nick with her for an extended period of time. He is going to be overseeing the development of this new city, along with some of Daedalus' best engineers. She took all of them to her place a few days ago, and they will be back here once they are done. The biggest hurdle will be communication between sister cities, but that is for them to figure out. I am confident it will turn out great! Moreover, seeing the two of them cooperate in such a way really warms my heart.

If my journey this past year and a half has taught me anything, it is that people are wonderful. Not everyone is, obviously, but in general. There is so much we can learn from one another if we take the time to listen. There is so much we can do if we take the time to cooperate. I envision a world where all people live in harmony, regardless of their race. It is a change I want so desperately to see happen, and so, I will continue to do everything in my power to make it a reality. As I continue to grow up, and hopefully reach a position of power, I intended to use it to improve relations between our races. Magna Gratia was just the start, and if it proved anything to me, it is that we can make my dream a reality. It is possible, I am certain of that.

So, to any Lilli listening: do not lump all Brobs into one basket, and never, ever feel inferior to those bigger than you. And to any Brob listening: keep an open mind, and never use your power to hurt others. You are no better than the Lillis at your feet, so better watch your step!

And from the bottom of my heart, thank you for listening to our story, and how my impossible dream came true!

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading! I am so thankful to each and every one of you for following and supporting this story. It means the world to me, and Melanie too! The story may have come to an end, but I will not he marking it ‘complete’ yet since I have plans to upload some bonus chapters later on. Stay tuned!

Don't hesitate to leave a final review, or several, if you want. I love interacting with my readers, and I will do my best to respond to you.

Thank you to my friend slogro who helped with this chapter, and many others in Part 5! Go show her some love, she's great!

The amazing size artist @Theotherone_1 has made official art for MG! I really love her take on Jeannine and the city. You can view the renders on Patreon for free, so go check them out!


I've decided to launch a Patreon where supporters can gain access to chapters early. Chapter uploads for MG and short stories are weekly. If you are eager to see what's next or just a fan of my work please consider checking it out! https://www.patreon.com/user?u=79288680

Check out my Twitter, too! https://twitter.com/GTS331