- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Ori helps Sara prep for her final exam...

POV: Ori

---------

"Sara, are you following?" I ask the giant girl. She seems awfully distracted for someone who should be focused on studying. It is plain to see, in her body language and where she is looking. My eyes narrow in concern. "If you need me to slow down, just say so."


"Wha- no! I'm good. The pace is good." She looks off into space again, at which point I close my copy of her textbook. She sees this, thanks to the video call we are on. A camera aimed at me lets her see exactly what I am doing as we study. Best of all, it lets her see my face clearly, which I find far better than audio alone. She sighs and shrugs. "Okay, yeah. Maybe I could use a break. Sorry, Ms. Ori. My mind is just...elsewhere right now."


She shuts her own textbook, a hardcover structure larger than any district back in the city. The massive thing slams closed with an earth-shattering 'boom', a rush of air blasting across the tabletop, and a tremor shaking the ground I stand on. If I had not been sitting down in my seat, I may have been blown back across the table. Mayor Rin's meeting platform is truly convenient and built for safety. I appreciate her letting us borrow it.


"Ahh! Sorry! I could have done that more gently." She gives me an apologetic look, leaning forward to rest her chin on the cover of the book. Her face becomes more troubled as she looks at her phone screen, seeing how her actions affected me. "I need to work on being around Lillis. I can't afford to be careless..."


"It will come with time. It is all about being gentle. Be aware of how you move, and be aware of how close you get." I tell her, though, this is surely not the cause of her distraction. "Sara, if something is on your mind, you can tell me. I am a good listener."


It might very well be too soon to be acting so familiar around the girl. Given, we only just met for the first time an hour ago, but I want her to know that I am here for her. A friend of my friends is undoubtably a friend. Jeannine loves her to death and Nick is becoming increasingly fond of the girl. I did not even need to look into her eyes to know that she is someone I could get along with. 


Yesterday, Jeannine asked me for a 'huge favor'. She told me that Sara was struggling with her International Relations course, the exam for which would be held the following week. Given my knowledge of history, she assumed I would be able to tutor her friend. She assumed correctly. I did not ask her why she was not tutoring her friend herself, given how she had already passed that in the previous semester. I already knew why she had asked me. It would serve as an opportunity for her close friends to meet. Basically, all four of us would finally be properly acquainted. Moreover, I would do anything for Jeannine. The moment she asked, I had already agreed to do it.


"I guess I'm just anxious." She tells me. Her lips purse and he gaze travels somewhere beyond, in Jeannine's living room.


"About?" I ask, sensing it is not about her upcoming exam.


"Life, I guess." Her gaze then travels back to her phone screen, her expression somber. "What comes next and where I'm supposed to go from here. You know?"


"I know what you mean." I nod. "It is quite universal--something we all struggle with."


"Really? Even you?" She asks, her eyes lighting up in surprise. "You seem so...put together. Like you have things figured out."


I shake my head. "Hardly. It just seems that way to others."


She looks at me skeptically, trying to determine if I am lying just to make her feel better. If only she knew me, she would know what a mess I am. The way I go about my life is 'one day at a time'. While I do have goals and dreams, I am in no hurry to attain them. Perhaps that is why I seem so 'content'? Sara's gaze moves from her screen to me, the physical me, and she leans in closely. She holds her breath, something she has been very good about today. She then moves away before speaking again.


"It's so funny to think that a Lilli is literally tutoring me and giving me life advice. Most Brobs think you guys are less than bugs." She states, the guilt and frustration on her face apparent. Clearly it bothers her to say these words. "Little to no intelligence at all. If only they knew..."


"It is willful ignorance, nothing more." I tell her, expressionless, to make my point. "It is not something I care to dwell on."


"Yeah, but it isn't right. Ori, you're way smarter than me, not to mention pretty much everyone I know, except Jeannine. It really irritates me that you'll never get the respect you deserve from other Brobs." She balls her hand into a fist, the sound of muscles tensing are audible to me due to how close it is. She is quite worked up on my behalf.


"You respect me, don't you?" I remind her. She looks at me and nods, her expression telling me how silly she thinks the question is. I give her a smile. "So long as you do, I do not care about anyone else. It is enough for me."


Hearing this calms her, enough for her hand to relax, at least. She looks at me with sad eyes and taps harshly on the cover of her textbook with her finger. Her nail digs into the hard surface, denting curved shapes into it.


"Reading about the way we view one another, and how that's changed over the last centuries, is just so depressing." She then speaks in a mocking tone, echoing the very ideas we have been reading about. "There's these themes of 'eventually we woke up and realised they were worthless' and 'we did what we have to, and that's okay because we benefitted so much'. Honestly, it makes me wonder if the world is ever going to get better. Like, what's even the point?"


Her words begin to paint a picture of how she is truly feeling. At first, she seemed nervous about her exam. Then, about her future. Now, she is worried about the future of Lillis. It seems so random, but I think I know what the actual problem is. I could be wrong, but there is no harm in asking.


"Do you think that maybe this is bothering you because it seems hopeless?" I try, gauging her reaction. The sudden change in her body language suggests I hit the mark. She seems surprised, yet relieved.


"Was it that obvious?" She half-smiles, moving one hand to rest on the other. "You're right, but that's not quite it either." She sits up straight, bringing her arms closer to her body. Two fingers lightly tap at the surface as she hums and thinks about how best to explain what she means. "So, small confession. I only entered into PoliSci because of Jeannine. I had no clue what I wanted to do with my life after high school. I just followed her since it meant we would share classes. It took until midway through our third year for me to actually start liking what I was studying."


"I think that is perfectly fine." I comment, keeping it brief as not to interrupt her train of thought.


"I think... Everyone wants to make a change in the world, somehow. If not a positive one, then some kind of mark, so they will be remembered. An easy way to do that is to be elected into office. You forever go down into the history books, even if it's a smaller position like, say, mayor. I want to be remembered, but not just because of my position. I want to do something world-changing, but it feels like the world is super averse to change. It fights it, tooth and nail, until you drag it kicking and screaming. I worry about spending my whole life trying to achieve something and ultimately falling short."


Listening to the girl brings up old feelings to the surface. I was wrong about her. We are far more similar than I had suspected. In fact, I might go so far as to say I have more in common with her than Jeannine or Nick. Those two are like peas in a pod, it is almost spooky! But I digress. Sara seems to echo many of the worries I had this last year. I cannot help but empathize with her.


"I'd like to share something with you, if you do not mind." I ask, knowing that 'good listeners' are not supposed to offer advice. Still, I feel she could benefit from hearing it. Thankfully, she invites me to go on. "I believe that no effort ever goes to waste. Even if you do not 'see' the fruit of your labor, it is usually still there. Perhaps not tangibly, but there nonetheless. Trying is infinitely better than not trying at all."


She takes a moment to think about what I have said. I can tell she agrees, but she does not seem any less troubled. Before I offer any more advice, I wait for her to say something.


"All I ever do is try." She shrugs. Though, not to dismiss me or make light of my words. "I don't think I'd fail this test, even if I studied on my own. Like, this is me trying. I want a good grade, not just a passing one." After taking a nother moment to think, she confronts me with an interesting question. "Do you admire anyone, Ori?"


Upon hearing the question, two people spring to mind. My later father and Jeannine. I have my reasons for both, since each are admirable for different reasons. Since we both know Jeannine so well, I decide not to mention her. The question strikes me as a personal one. She wants to dig deeper into me, to learn something she does not currently know. I am happy to answer.


"Absolutely. My father was something I admired greatly." I tell her, smiling as I remember him. It has been so long that I no longer become emotional when he is mentioned. In fact, my tone is bursting with pride alone. "He was such a strong and gentle man. A role model for what all men should be, really. I admired how he balanced those two, opposing qualities. I try to do the same, as best I can. How about you?"


Like me, Sara does not take long to think. It seems she already had someone in mind from the start. "There are a few. There's this professor, Dr. Johanna, who's super accomplished and smart. There's also my mom, who's such a great rolemodel. A great woman through and through. But...I'd have to say you."


Her answer takes me by surprise. Of all the people she could have chosen, she chose me? We have hardly known each other for long. Still, I am honored.


"Thank you, Sara. I assume you are basing this on things Jeannine has told you about me?" I ask, glancing to the real her, then back to the camera.


"Pretty much, but meeting you confirmed it all." She tells me, nodding a few times. "I just think you're...cool. I'll leave it at that."


A subtle blush appears on her cheeks. It is a cute sight. I have never been one to enjoy teasing, so I decide not to comment or push her for more details. "Very well. I appreciate it all the same."


A silence falls upon the living room. I give her a chance to speak, but she appears distracted again. We have veered off topic, but that mood did improve as a result. Are we ready to resume studying? I hope so, since we still have a lot to cover. I intend to make this girl understand. I want her to do well on her final. Suddenly, a potential segue springs to mind. Hopefully it can lead us back on topic.


"The fact that people like my father, your professor, Jeannine, and even you exist gives me hope that the world will eventually become a better place. I do not pretend that things are more positive than they are, nor do I fixate on the negative. Realistically, each and every person is a powerful force acting on the world. I believe that the people we have mentioned are all powerful, positive forces. Yes, including you-"


I am suddenly interrupted by her phone vibrating. The incoming message sends a short, weak tremor through the floor. Her eyes glance over at the screen, a cheeky smile forming on her face. She tries to hide it, but cannot. I roll my eyes, already knowing who it came from. She sees my expression on her screen and quickly apologizes. "Note to self. Disable vibrate when around Lilli friends. Sorry, didn't mean to cut you off. You were saying something about the world?"


Even as she speaks, her eyes never leave the screen. She taps on it to navigate to her messages, which I find a tad rude, but am not bothered by. She scans it, giving me only half her attention.


"He gets off early today, though, he prefers to make people think he works full days every day." I say, instantly grabbing her attention back. "If we try, I think we can finish just as he is leaving city hall."


"Oh. Well, that is good to know..." She suddenly sits up straight and opens her textbook back to the page we were on. Her expression becomes slightly irritated as she does so. "I see someone has not been entirely honest with me... Okay, let's get this shit done! Looks like I've got plans this afternoon."


I cannot help but laugh at her drastic change in attitude. Was that all I needed to say? It makes me feel silly for trying to give her an inspirational speech. I can be so dramatic sometimes, perhaps even too serious. Ah, how embarrassing! I push those thoughts out of my mind and quickly flip to the same page on my copy of the textbook.


"Alright, so long as you can keep up." I wink at her. "Let's not keep you friend waiting..."

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading! Don't hesitate to leave a review, or several, if you want. If you have an idea you'd like to see happen in the story, feel free to share it! I love interacting with my readers, and I will do my best to respond to you.

The amazing size artist @Theotherone_1 has made official art for MG! I really love her take on Jeannine and the city. You can view the renders on Patreon for free, so go check them out!


I've decided to launch a Patreon where supporters can gain access to chapters early. Chapter uploads for MG and short stories are weekly. If you are eager to see what's next or just a fan of my work please consider checking it out! https://www.patreon.com/user?u=79288680

Check out my Twitter, too! https://twitter.com/GTS331