- Text Size +

 Dad hurriedly back-pedaled into the secret tunnel, hoping that he hadn't been spotted.  He even held his breath to control any involuntary gasping!  Over the next ninety seconds, however, he gradually exhaled as his confidence grew that he had avoided accidental discovery. So, as planned, he reached for his shrinkie-talkie to report that he was on site.  He was interrupted, however, by a loud pounding on the sorority bedroom door.

 "Jumana!  Are you ready, yet, girl?  We barely got enough time to wolf down breakfast before math class.  Then, we got final dress rehearsal after that!"

 "Okay, okay!  Give me a couple moments, will you?"

 There was a sudden flurry of dresser drawers being opened and closed.  Following which came the rattling of a doorknob as the bedroom door was evidently whipped open.

 "Satisfied?"

  "I'll answer that only if we make it to class, on time."

  Then came the slamming shut of the bedroom door.  Which left Dad free to finally activate his shrinkie-talkie.

   "Five Points Buck to Boss Man.  Five Points Buck to Boss Man.  Do you copy? Over."

   "Copy you, Five Points Buck.  Over."

   "HRH has just left the sorority house for breakfast.  Followed by her first class of the day and, then, Wranglerette practice.  Her roommate mentioned something about a dress rehearsal?  Over."

   "Roger that.  Magic City's tejano population is going to celebrate Cinco de Mayo with a big parade on Saturday.  The Wranglerettes will be performing a special routine put together by the marching band's director.  Hence, Agnes Junior's cover.  Over."

   Dad must have grinned like a Cheshire cat upon hearing this.  

   "Acknowledged, Boss Man.  I will now begin my recon of the rest of the bedroom.  Five Points Buck, over and out."  

   So, for the second time in less than ten minutes, Dad exited the secret tunnel.  His pre-shrunk Skorpion unslung and at the ready.  He then carefully edged his way along the wall to his right.  In doing so, he took special notice of the celebrity posters above the head boards of the beds directly across the way.    The poster on the left featured John Travolta, while the one on the right featured the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders!

  "Heh!" mused Dad, half-aloud:  "I wonder which one belongs to Jumana?"

  Upon reaching the upper right corner of the bedroom, Dad began heading forward toward the dresser directly ahead of him.  Carefully noting that it was of the type that stood about a foot off the floor, on semi-circular legs, thereby affording him a potential hiding place.  Although, the same could not be said for the night stand to the immediate right of the second bed.

  Dad then marched under that bed; thereby discovering an Islamic prayer rug carefully rolled up beneath it.

  "So, obviously, this is Jumana's bed."

  Dad emerged from underneath the pink bedspread to see another night stand.  This one, slightly taller than the other one, with eighteen inch-long legs that would make him all too visible if he should ever try to hide behind and/or below it.  After that, he went beneath Brook Rivera's bed, seeing nothing but dust bunnies there.  Upon exiting from underneath, he saw that her dresser was identical to Jumana's.  Although, it occupied a space immediately to the right of what he judged to be their shared closet.   He couldn't verify that for sure, however, as the closet door was firmly shut.  With no room at the bottom for him to army-crawl under it.

 His reconnoitering completed, Dad went back to the secret tunnel to report as much to Myron Meriwether.   But, he was prevented from doing so by an ominous sound.  More specifically?  The sound of a lock being picked in the bedroom door!  Needless to say, Dad raced back towards Brook Rivera's bed.  Dashing beneath the dangling fringe of the bedspread covering the foot board...and getting there just in time.

 "Are you sure this is a good idea?" asked a decidedly female voice.

 "Look!" snapped another girl in reply:  "You stand to lose just as much as I do if they fail.  So shut up and keep look-out while I plant this under Rivera's bed."  

  Dad stood at attention behind the left leg of the foot board as he quietly made ready to fire in the event of discovery.

  tbc